• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jonesing for a Chase

Hey, Eleanor!! :wub:

I'm actually in a dorm room on the Harvard campus in Cambridge as I type this. :) (Actually, we don't call 'em "dorms" in these parts-- we call 'em "houses". :D) It's so nice being back here. Cambridge and Boston are gorgeous-- I forgot how much I liked it here.

KEWL! You realize we've got a STS off the SE coast, I'm sure. I'm off this weekend, but back in on the holiday at 730 AM (that is, of course, Mother Nature throws us a curve!).

I hope you have a BLAST at Hahhhhvahhhd. :wub: (hehe) When do you fly home? (just wondering...)

--Turtle

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KEWL! You realize we've got a STS off the SE coast, I'm sure. I'm off this weekend, but back in on the holiday at 730 AM (that is, of course, Mother Nature throws us a curve!).

I hope you have a BLAST at Hahhhhvahhhd. :wub: (hehe) When do you fly home? (just wondering...)

--Turtle

I'm having an awesome time-- it's so nice being back here. Until yesterday, I actually hadn't even set foot in the State of Massachusetts since I graduated 20 years ago-- so it was time to "'come home", as they say. It's just been awesome seeing everyone, walking around Harvard Yard, hitting my old haunts, and so on.

I'm flying back to L.A. Sunday evening.

• 4 weeks later...

If this indeed a 1997 style burst of close in development early in the season before El Nino really shuts things down, if the world is lucky enough that soon to be Debby is this year's Hurricane Danny, except headed for Corpus Christi, I'd hope bad memories of another D storm, Don, not withstanding, plans to chase even a Cat 1 in South Texas would not be dismissed just because it isn't the 'hawtest' storm ever.

Oh, clap, I just remembered the anti-tingles July 1st thing. Hoping for a prolonged stall over the loop current then...

Good luck chasing Josh. I'll look forward to more of your videography. I think you'll have a good season.

JB on Twitter touting 1954, 1991 analogs, not sure why except they had Northeast storms, and with warmer than usual water, maybe won't have slopcanes transitioning to extra-tropical that Josh isn't so fond of.

• 3 weeks later...

Good luck chasing Josh. I'll look forward to more of your videography. I think you'll have a good season.

Sorry I missed this when you posted it. Thank you!

Technically, Taiwan may be an island, but it is a really big island.

With a ton of mountains that do a nice number on a cyclone's inflow. Just not into it. Mountains, islands, Commies, language barriers, megacyclones with loose gradients, etc. The WPAC leaves me limp. Others cover that region-- and they do it enthusiastically.

Not trying to be Debby Rainstorm, but lots of signs pointing to this year as a depressing mashup of 1986, 1997 and 2009. You're going to hope for a late season East Pac recurve, I suppose.

Kinda too bad the El Nino wasn't stronger, in a way, with the Atlantic looking bad anyway, something favorable for a Linda except it doesn't miss the trough and does SoCal and you could chase from the hometown, that'd be cool. Would it be weakening, even in an ultimate El Nino year, from cold water off SoCal, sure, but even a videographed Cat 1 would be historic. And after the wind blown palms at the beach segment, roaring mudflows down the canyon segments,

Anywa, for WestPac action, http://www.typhoonfury.com/ has typhoons and the occasional volcano.

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched the loop, ( http://www.atmos.alb...DSAT/allen.html ) and was thinking, would the i-Cyclone team have been happy about a major on the border, or disgusted about how badly it fell apart just before landfall? I appreciate the positive vibes of mentioning Hurricane Allen.

Phil mentioned Allen in same post as 99L... I have to bump this into i-Cyclone chase thread...

I am liking some of the suggestions of a Caribbean Cruiser track with 99L. It's all I live for these days.

My interest in weather has become narrower and narrower-- so that now I only like a specific kind of hurricane in a specific place. This fetishization of a very narrowly-defined phenomenon is troubling-- like a progressive mental illness, I suppose.

My interest in weather has become narrower and narrower-- so that now I only like a specific kind of hurricane in a specific place. This fetishization of a very narrowly-defined phenomenon is troubling-- like a progressive mental illness, I suppose.

Admitting the problem is a good first step.

I am liking some of the suggestions of a Caribbean Cruiser track with 99L. It's all I live for these days.

You just need the inevitable "perfect scenario" chase in order to satisfy your need to experience and document it. Once that DOES happen, you will be much more open to slop LOL

Oops, gotcha. :)

Latest thoughts Re: 99L? More or less yummy prognosis than yesterday?

The GFS (which was the most agressive model) has backed off a bit from yesterday, although it still shows a TD/TS strength storm that seems to fall apart as the system approaches the lesser Antilles. That's probably due to the upper level pattern, which isn't nearly as favorable in the Caribbean as it was depicting yesterday. However, convection is ramping up a bit tonight which seems to be in anticipation for both the diurnal max and the incoming convectively coupled kelvin wave. I think there is a decent chance (40-50%) that we see this become a TC, but there are questions about what type of environment the system will encounter when it hits the Caribbean.

Archived