Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Jonesing for a Chase

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's just crazy talk.

You still kiss ass with the 35N crew and it's always embarrassing.

:lmao:

Don't let him fool you. Next time there is anything remotely threatening the EC he will be all up in those forums reminiscing about 55kt gusts and clear skies and no rain.

Pathetic.

:lmao:

Low in science, a cold AMO for one thing, but just read a thread about inactive tornado seasons, a drought, and 1988, and I immediately had to get the track off Wiki. Could one get a flight out after major hurricane in the Yucatan to film a part deux landfall in Tamaulipas? If any could, it'd be Jorge and Josh.

800px-Gilbert_1988_track.png

Outstanding work Josh, and that's across the board; site, graphics, video, and writing.

I noticed you noticed something I've noticed with these storms (odd sentence eh?) and that is the surprising backside power of hurricanes.

Before moving to North Carolina I'd always been under the impression it was the front side of a hurricane that packed all the power but boy was I wrong! The common idea "the worst is over" after the front half of a hurricane passes is just that, a myth. The backside can not only be worse, it can be significantly worse. Any doubts I ever had about that were erased with Charley (NC) in 2004.

Angle of attack, geography, the state of the storm at landfall, etc. all play a role; and being one is often without power and communications by the time the eye is overhead... it can be quite the shocker!

Hope you get a couple good ones this year,

Tim in ILM

:)

Thanks so much for these comments-- I'm glad you like my new site. I put some work into it. I work in the interactive world, and I wanted to make my chase portfolio like a designer's portfolio-- really visual and everything. Glad you liked it.

Re: the backsides of hurricanes... Yeah, that has surprised me, too-- as I always had the same assumption. Out of the ones I've been in, I think the leading edges were usually stronger, but there've been some exceptions that really stood out-- the biggest being Wilma. Everyone I talked to afterward, all over S FL, agreed the backside was much more powerful and destructive.

Thanks so much for these comments-- I'm glad you like my new site. I put some work into it. I work in the interactive world, and I wanted to make my chase portfolio like a designer's portfolio-- really visual and everything. Glad you liked it.

Re: the backsides of hurricanes... Yeah, that has surprised me, too-- as I always had the same assumption. Out of the ones I've been in, I think the leading edges were usually stronger, but there've been some exceptions that really stood out-- the biggest being Wilma. Everyone I talked to afterward, all over S FL, agreed the backside was much more powerful and destructive.

Most trees in the neighborhood were blown down by what appeared to be West winds at the house, although 25 miles away, almost all the windows blown out at The Williams Tower looked to have been done in by Easterly winds.

194fuwfgzx.jpg

Most trees in the neighborhood were blown down by what appeared to be West winds at the house, although 25 miles away, almost all the windows blown out at The Williams Tower looked to have been done in by Easterly winds.

You talking about Ike? That was another where the backside felt a little stronger. The radar seemed to suggest that. However, the roof of my hotel blew off during the front side of the cyclone.

Low in science, a cold AMO for one thing, but just read a thread about inactive tornado seasons, a drought, and 1988, and I immediately had to get the track off Wiki. Could one get a flight out after major hurricane in the Yucatan to film a part deux landfall in Tamaulipas? If any could, it'd be Jorge and Josh.

800px-Gilbert_1988_track.png

Here is a September 22, 2005 photo of a building in NOLA. Obviously, it proves NOTHING, but I'm posting it here in reference to the recent discussion anyway... just for the hell of it. I'm pretty sure the view here is from adjacent to the Superdome and looking to the ESE, so the blown-out windows face WNW. You can see that there is similar damage to windows facing NNE.

Though not this exact photo (which is mine), but there were widely-circulated photos of this building in the media at the time, IIRC. Point is, I don't think there were any photos of the SSW or ESE-facing windows of the same building that got the publicity, which is where one would *normally* expect the strongest winds from Katrina given that her eye passed E of downtown.

That particular side of the building also seems to have the greatest exposure to the wind, since there aren't other tall buildings sheltering that side. Again, it proves nothing, but perhaps one or two of you may find it interesting nonetheless.

The building is possibly on the corner of Loyola Ave. and Poydras St.

post-6546-0-54260500-1343854686_thumb.jp

Steve,

That's certainly a depressing track with the price of gas already soaring do to the drought and corn prices. Unfortunately, that looks like a decent early track guess based on the pattern and how far south the system is starting out.

Vera Cruz to Corpus Christi, Josh is happy, Jorge is happy, maybe Scott and Steve are happy, and most importantly, the Popo Playa Party Pad. 2 minute walk to the beach. Tio Mario caught a 30 something pound redfish one night fishing in the surf using a sting ray for bait.

yes, I had been drinking.

294360_2378016933517_7898423_n.jpg

From Facebook

Reed Timmer: Meteorologist and Extreme Storm Chaser

If we we were to intercept Hurricane Ernesto on the Yucatan Peninsula it does look relatively safe in terms of any cartel dangers. Although if it turns northeast more toward the Tampico area we may have problems, even in the Dominator.

Like this post if you think the Dominator would make it. I'd say 70/30 in favor of returning.

Josh M isn't as famous as Reed Timmer, but has huevos the size of an ostriches.

From Facebook

Reed Timmer: Meteorologist and Extreme Storm Chaser

If we we were to intercept Hurricane Ernesto on the Yucatan Peninsula it does look relatively safe in terms of any cartel dangers. Although if it turns northeast more toward the Tampico area we may have problems, even in the Dominator.

Like this post if you think the Dominator would make it. I'd say 70/30 in favor of returning.

Ugh. Just ugh.

Josh M isn't as famous as Reed Timmer, but has huevos the size of an ostriches.

Thx.

lmao

So this guy is thinking about driving that ridiculous vehicle all the way down to the YP and also worries about the cartel area in something that screams attention....

Good grief.

I know. I'm just like... ugh. I want to be like, "Dude-- I'm there chasing all the time, in a normal car, alone, without a team of twenty carrying my equipment. BFD."

lol @ the 6z GFS.

A 40 knot or so tropical storm, if it cancelled work next Friday and watered my lawn, that would be ideal.

Nobody would be coming from California to see that, however.

Main TD 5 thread, red taggers talking of 20 to 30 knot Easterlies below 10,000 feet, discussion of where 05L will be in 8 days may be academic.

Archived