Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jonesing for a Chase

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely having some increased tingles tonight. Jorge and I have been having some preliminary discussions Re: meeting in MTY and heading down to TAM together-- just like we did for Alex.

In other news, I am picking up this tomorrow: http://www.sony-asia...product/spk-cxb. I have now killed three cameras on chases due to water exposure: Dean 2007, Jimena 2009, and Irene 2011. Scott really yelled at me about it today on the phone-- really went off-- so I did some research, and this is the solution. No more water worries-- yay! :)

nice waterproof case!

I got the previous generation of the Panasonic Rugged cam

It can't match the video performance of a dedicated camcorder, but it's very rugged and not very expensive

not a bad thing to have in your pocket for backup

I've intended to leave it outside for any worthwhile weather, but it not holding my breath for anything extreme here in NH. Been kicking myself for 7 years now about getting 0 footage from Charley. Had 2 camcorders sitting idle for it arrowheadsmiley.png.

Josh, I wouldn't give up on Nate just yet.

As a chase subject, I am giving up on it-- because it is the only sensible conclusion.

If I were to chase it, I would need to leave tonight or tomorrow morning at the absolute latest-- and it's hard to justify flying halfway across the continent for a small TS with scant convection scraping the S coast of the BoC-- not to mention the decidedly unenthused intensity models. I absolutely agree it'll improve, and I still expect it to be a 'cane-- but not something that would justify a big expedition to MX.

Sure, it can surprise us all and massively bomb out just offshore tomorrow-- you just never know-- but based on the available indicators at this time (current intensity, current look, environment, intensity models), this is the correct decision.

As a chase subject, I am giving up on it-- because it is the only sensible conclusion.

If I were to chase it, I would need to leave tonight or tomorrow morning at the absolute latest-- and it's hard to justify flying halfway across the continent for a small TS with scant convection scraping the S coast of the BoC-- not to mention the decidedly unenthused intensity models. I absolutely agree it'll improve, and I still expect it to be a 'cane-- but not something that would justify a big expedition to MX.

Sure, it can surprise us all and massively bomb out just offshore tomorrow-- you just never know-- but based on the available indicators at this time (current intensity, current look, environment, intensity models), this is the correct decision.

you'll regret it

I know you were excited to see me-- but I don't think this is the place for venting such disappointments.

If you want a fiesta, this is the perfect week to travel to Veracruz, Josh. Feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross [Vera Cruz = True Cross] (14 September) is their patronal day. Partying continues on the Memorial of Our Lady of Sorrows (15 September). (These festivities could have implications for securing hotel rooms; check in advance!) Then, Mexican Independence Day on 16 September. Think...hurricane Sunday, maybe Monday if it slows some more. Fiesta Tuesday afternoon through Friday. Return to the City of Our Lady Queen of the Angels [partronal day formerly 4 September, now 2 August] Saturday.

I'm really in the dumps Re: this season so far. It's just been full of fail.

The Irene chase was fine, I guess. It was cool to score perfectly and get right in the center of the eye-- it's great to score a perfect 10 in the skill game-- but c'mon-- I'm not in this game to chase 75-kt systems.

Getting back to the the first post of this thread: I'm getting a little tired of chasing sub-majors. The NATL has just really sucked for landfalls these last fours years-- except for Cuba's hawt Cat-4 action in 2008.

Anyhoo, I'm not worried-- we're two days past the climo peak of the NATL season, and there's plenty of time for hawtness.

I'm just impatient and in a pissy mood-- that's all.

I'm really in the dumps Re: this season so far. It's just been full of fail.

The Irene chase was fine, I guess. It was cool to score perfectly and get right in the center of the eye-- it's great to score a perfect 10 in the skill game-- but c'mon-- I'm not in this game to chase 75-kt systems.

Getting back to the the first post of this thread: I'm getting a little tired of chasing sub-majors. The NATL has just really sucked for landfalls these last fours years-- except for Cuba's hawt Cat-4 action in 2008.

Anyhoo, I'm not worried-- we're two days past the climo peak of the NATL season, and there's plenty of time for hawtness.

I'm just impatient and in a pissy mood-- that's all.

yes you are

Looking at the North American ensembles, because the Euro ensembles aren't as bullish as they were in the famed 'Carla Cradle' a day or two ago, I see reason for optimism.

I will say, Euro ensembles, while not screaming TC development, move the trough some, and would seem to put Florida in play. And the best videos seem to come from Florida.

post-138-0-82237200-1315922510.gif

post-138-0-72387000-1315922587.gif

Josh you needed to be here for Irene:

Well... Island chasing really isn't my thing. As I've posted here in the past, I have a sort of unofficial policy against it due to the high bust potential (since you can't adjust your position and move to the next island once the cyclone's core closes in).

That having been said, Jim scored big time with this one-- he took the risk, planted himself on that island, and got raked by the core when Irene was a major-- and I was really happy for him. (Jim is a good friend of mine.) He's a great chaser and a really skilled videographer: I marvel at how his camera is always steady and the lens is always dry. Everything he shoots just looks beautiful and amazing. A total pro.

Well... Island chasing really isn't my thing. As I've posted here in the past, I have a sort of unofficial policy against it due to the high bust potential (since you can't adjust your position and move to the next island once the cyclone's core closes in).

That having been said, Jim scored big time with this one-- he took the risk, planted himself on that island, and got raked by the core when Irene was a major-- and I was really happy for him. (Jim is a good friend of mine.) He's a great chaser and a really skilled videographer: I marvel at how his camera is always steady and the lens is always dry. Everything he shoots just looks beautiful and amazing. A total pro.

Understood. He had the catch of the year for sure. I like how he said 115 mph winds "were not too bad" ;).

:lol:

OK, let's not overstate the situation. It is only 13 Sep-- which is waaaaaaay too early to say that. I'll be ready to concede "catch of the year" around 27 Oct, perhaps.

Hahah ok fair enough I might be a bit early in saying that. I would one day like to witness the stadium effect in person.

I was looking at my Irene footage over the weekend-- finally.

It's not amazing, but it's not the disaster I expected. My videocam got wet and died just before the eye reached us-- and out of desperation, I shot the eye and (surprisingly strong) backside using my friend's Sony DSC-T7-- an ancient still-picture camera that happens to do video as well. Ugh. It really was pure desperation to use it-- but, anyhoo, the footage is usable, if a bit rough. I wasn't even going to make an Irene video, but I feel there's enough to scrape together a video document of the event. Now I have to sit down and edit it-- put it together into some kind of summary. I hope to post something next week.

In the meantime, as I mentioned above, I got a new videocam and I finally got a housing unit for it, too-- so now I can shoot in torrential rain with no worries: http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=SPKCXA. I'd always been hesitant to do this, because I feel it compromises the sound-- and perhaps it does a tad-- but I can't keep killing cameras like this. (Three 'canes is enough!) Anyhoo, the unit has a stereo microphone in it, so I guess they at least try to address the audio issue.

Just some random, midseason ramblings as we wait for the next good cyclone.

Archived