• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
SNE Conference Disco

Damage In Tolland

I was thinking a slight change of plans might make this easier. If I stay at Megan's the night before, Ray could pick you up and then drive right to her place Thursday morning and then we leave from there. I'd think traffic going north away from Boston shouldn't be too bad in the morning. Then we take 495 down which won't have traffic.

That works. I'll be ready whenever. I'll talk with Ray about what time to meet up, but when did you want to leave Megan's??

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That works. I'll be ready whenever. I'll talk with Ray about what time to meet up, but when did you want to leave Megan's??

If we leave her place at 7:30, we should be good since its about 90 minutes to Kevin's from there. But whatever schedule works for you guys. I think in 2008 we got to Kevin's by about 930am and we still made it to DCA around 4 which is a further drive than BWI.

If we leave her place at 7:30, we should be good since its about 90 minutes to Kevin's from there. But whatever schedule works for you guys. I think in 2008 we got to Kevin's by about 930am and we still made it to DCA around 4 which is a further drive than BWI.

I'd rather get there around 4ish anyways. I'm usually up with the birds, so it doesn't bother me.

I'd rather get there around 4ish anyways. I'm usually up with the birds, so it doesn't bother me.

Yeah that should be perfect

That works; Scooter and I will just work out the arrangement on our end.

Severe video from your trip?

I was hoping y'all could get to my house by 8:00. It will all depend on Will. We don't want to hit traffic in NYC/Philly and we want to beat the pm rush in Balt.

You wont hit any traffic in PHL or NYC after 9am. Even if you pick up Rev Kev at 8am you will have clear sailing. Just dont take 95 thru NYC. Defintely would take I 84 into NYS then down 684 to 287 West to the Tappan Zee. Then take 287 south in NJ all the way to the Jersey Turnpike. You miss the NYC bullcrap if there is any and take the Jersey turnpike to the Del Mem Bridge into Delaware then down 95, this way you will also miss the PHL congestion on I 95. Yeah the Turnpike in Jersey is a toll but at least you wont be in any traffic in the Philly area unless there is an accident on the pike.

just an idea. Just dont stop at any of the jersey turnpike rest stops as much as scooter wants you guys too. :guitar:

See you goofy bastahds in a week

just paid and registered...so i will be rooming with Rich and Randy Thurs and Fri nights...but I have no room lined up for Sat night...hopefully when I get there some nice person will let me crash in their room...of course i will help with the cost of the room...

You wont hit any traffic in PHL or NYC after 9am. Even if you pick up Rev Kev at 8am you will have clear sailing. Just dont take 95 thru NYC. Defintely would take I 84 into NYS then down 684 to 287 West to the Tappan Zee. Then take 287 south in NJ all the way to the Jersey Turnpike. You miss the NYC bullcrap if there is any and take the Jersey turnpike to the Del Mem Bridge into Delaware then down 95, this way you will also miss the PHL congestion on I 95. Yeah the Turnpike in Jersey is a toll but at least you wont be in any traffic in the Philly area unless there is an accident on the pike.

just an idea. Just dont stop at any of the jersey turnpike rest stops as much as scooter wants you guys too. :guitar:

See you goofy bastahds in a week

Oh, I'd never go through NYC....that is a disaster. I always go Tappan Zee....but I do it via the Merritt parkway to 287 in White Plains.

Not sure when I'll be there. My original ride's car died so he isn't sure if he can make it or not. If I ride him we'll be there by mid afternoon. If he can't go I'll be going down with Nick & Amy...talked to Amy this morning.

We could always tie you to the roof on the ski rack of my vehicle since I don't have any more room inside the car.

It is an interesting study to sit back and watch all this vested interested, personally, that folks put into these things.

The internet has done this over the last decade, actually closing in on 2 believe it or not. It's created these cultural islands; niches where previously more diffused interest groups are now provided a venue (the internet) to centroid their enthusiasm and involvement. It's a phenomenon really.

Case in point: two weeks ago a buddy of mine asked me if I’d like to accompany him to his mutual friend’s cookout/ arcade party. Hmm, “arcade party”. What on Earth could that entail? It turns out that no different than Eastern and American Weather Forums, there is an entire internet-founded community of enthusiasts that are just as involved in their own rites, but in the arena of old school gaming (pre-home gaming). This guy was a zealot in every positive sense of it :lol: He had converted his finished basement into an arcade. He must have had 50 game cabinets down there: 3 or 4 types of Donkey Kong, all the Pack Man and Pack Woman’s, Pole Position, Zoo Keeper, pinball machines, Tempest, Frogger, Millipede, Centipede, Asteroids… the list goes on, and they were all money-disabled so that the user could just bop from game to game. Heck, there was a game called Paper Boy – I had never heard of Paper Boy. His electric bill must be obscene every month.

There I was amid 75 strangers at his cookout/ arcade party. There were tattooed ridden bikers, clean cut social misfits, otherwise indistinguishable from mainstream fuddy-duddies, cool types, nerd types, dork types, and me. And they were all there for the same thing, to swap stories about growing up in that era, to tell tail of gaming convention events and competitions. Onward my buddy and I must have played 8 free hours of Zoo Keeper, as we grew obsessed with achieving the high score. In a way, the day was a kind of sweet revenge upon all those olden days of typically broke hand-in-pocket can-kickers looking for something to do, desperately checking coin slots for renegade Quarters.

Eh, fun day, fading in memory. In addition to free games for hours, I was also given a free throat infection that raged into an all out summer respiratory infection, too. I actually ended up with a fever for 2 nights for it. In retrospect I do not recall seeing one container of Purell, not one can of Lysol anywhere. Boy, the immune systems of circa 1982 must have been something out of a sci-fi horror story. All those strange fingers pecking away at the various games, all different age groups and hygiene; maybe modern civility is lucky that gaming went into the home because who knows what zombie super-bug might have come of that era if it had gone on that way.

But, as I stood there over a burger doing the people watching thing, listening to them chime on with their gaming-world-insider-speak, it dawned on me: This is no different than American Weather Forums providing a similar nexus for weather enthusiasts, or even those that could care less about the weather but really just use it to for a social outlet altogether – either way. It is the same thing, and it really is an interesting sociology if you step back and think about it.

I suppose there is a practical application at hand. Many of us are Meteorologist not working as Meteorologist; for a few that may not matter, but for those that hope, perhaps an opportunity for networking. There’s also youngin’s looking for the best advice for education, or just having wanting ears to anecdotes and experiences to learn from. It is all good and certainly positive. And for a few perhaps even less interested in weather-related topic, a sense of familiarity and belonging to something they can uniquely identify with; maybe they’d feel awkward in a social scenario less focused.

I unfortunately cannot find the time to venture to this conference. The last, in Providence RI, was quite convenient.

GREAT story, John! LOVE many of these arcade games (Pac Man, Ms. Pac Man, Frogger, etc.) LOVED hitting arcades when I was a kid. Like your comments about the sociological aspects about this GTG and our forum(s). Very interesting.

There's a restaurant off Route 24 in W. Bridgewater that has an arcade, though newer games (mainly video). It's still fun, but not as good as that GTG you went to was! BTW, some of the arcade space at that restaurant was cut off to build 6 new ten pin bowling alleys! (Interesting!)

I think forums are a great way to BS and just shoot the breeze about common interests such as weather, but also it helps develop friendships...perhaps for some that might have more of a difficult time in a more public setting.

My only issue with technology and settings similar to this, is that I feel it also helps encourage social awkwardness. No longer do we walk into the office of our boss or approach someone if we have a question. Everything is done electronically. Hell people actually break up via texting or worse....get divorced via text. I feel like I sound elderly when I say this, but as much as it encourages social interactions...it may also cause social ineptness. I mean look at things like match.com. It's an excellent site to meet people, but the days of mustering up courage to talk to someone over a beer are going away. I remember being shy at first when it came to the opposite sex, but once you were able to do it a couple of times...it was like a load lifted off your shoulders. Confidence went up. It's a tough thing to do sometimes, but I feel it also helps us humans develop social skills and to help with communication which I feel is becoming more and more obsolete in a personal sense.

VERY TRUE!! Couldn't agree more! I really feel that networks like Facebook and Twitter can isolate people from meeting face-to-face, if that's their tendency to do. I'm not on FB or Twitter...I do enough here on these boards and e-mail, I don't want to take more time out of my already crazy schedule to see what one of my FB friends is doing or watch someone's Twitter goings-on about every little thing. Sorry!

<on soapbox>

I also have many more reasons why I'm not on FB. Well, I actually WAS on FB, but I didn't create the account!! Someone out there created an IMPOSTER account for me! And, I had close to 300 "friends," most of which I didn't even know!!! The account is closed, but that's precisely the reason why I don't want an account. Loss of my privacy.

<off my soapbox>

--Turtle

Can't wait to get Kocin back this year after taunting us about the '09-'10 winter. :thumbsup:

Yeah I am dreading that. Thats why Kevin didnt come down last year, he couldnt handle that part of the conference. There wasnt enough to beer for him to consume to be able to handle that :lol:

Yeah I am dreading that. Thats why Kevin didnt come down last year, he couldnt handle that part of the conference. There wasnt enough to beer for him to consume to be able to handle that :lol:

He's setting up an exhibit on Friday Night..just to show his snowbanks.

Archived