• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Bob

tmagan

The twenty year anniversary of Hurricane Bob is two months away. It is probably the most underrated Northeastern hurricane which is ironic given the fact that it is the last landfalling northeastern hurricane. Its origin is also not of the norm considering it formed on the tail end of a stalled out frontal zone, usually not the way most tropical cyclones form. Most people who weren't around at the time 'Bob' made landfall may be surprised to see how strong the winds were in extreme southeastern New England. Long Island barely escaped a direct hit as the western edge of the eyewall scraped Montauk Point, NY.

The twenty year anniversary of Hurricane Bob is two months away. It is probably the most underrated Northeastern hurricane which is ironic given the fact that it is the last landfalling northeastern hurricane. Its origin is also not of the norm considering it formed on the tail end of a stalled out frontal zone, usually not the way most tropical cyclones form. Most people who weren't around at the time 'Bob' made landfall may be surprised to see how strong the winds were in extreme southeastern New England. Long Island barely escaped a direct hit as the western edge of the eyewall scraped Montauk Point, NY.

Perfect thread for the New England subforum

Phil hates hurricane Bob. It's like Will talking about a severe threat.

LOL. i'd take it again in a heart beat because it's been 20 years, but outside of a summer home near the shore in falmouth, :sleepy:

You can go visit Kevin's brother in laws house and sit naked with him ripping back zimas. Sounds like fun.

Unfortunately what Bob did was make people on Buzzards Bay complacent to the storm surge threat.

Bob was pretty disappointing for me but I was pretty far inland and north.

Where my mom lives in Jamestown RI it was a pretty decent hit.

Gloria was much more enjoyable

Bob didn't do much in CT outside of New London County. Quite a bit of tree damage there.

Unfortunately what Bob did was make people on Buzzards Bay complacent to the storm surge threat.

Sorry for jumping in out of my region. I'd argue, at least using places that get hurricanes regularly as a guide, that the 20 years part is way more important than Bob surge part for complacency.

Sorry for jumping in out of my region. I'd argue, at least using places that get hurricanes regularly as a guide, that the 20 years part is way more important than Bob surge part for complacency.

Yeah I definitely agree with that. I think the fact Buzzard's Bay hasn't come close to their worst case surge scenario in 100+ years (while it's happened in Narragansett Bay twice) is a problem too.

Bob definitely under performed for the majority of New England relative to what might have been expected. We still had some wind damage here, but it was kind of like a severe thunderstorm type damage, mostly just some large limbs down with a few weaker trees toppling over. The rain was the more impressive part. The flash flooding was impressive I remember.

That said, there were some pockets of impressive looking damage near and around the Cape.

Ironically, for much of the Boston area, the biggest impact came after Bob went by and the WNW winds on the backside kicked up to storm force. That put alot of trees down.

That happens with a lot of those tropicals that pass just south of the city. You get the pressure rises on gusty nw winds.

Bob was a fun storm. It wasn't too much of an issue imby, but it was a rush to get off the Cape before the storm came in....we were on vacation with my relatives from Canada.

That happens with a lot of those tropicals that pass just south of the city. You get the pressure rises on gusty nw winds.

Bob was a fun storm. It wasn't too much of an issue imby, but it was a rush to get off the Cape before the storm came in....we were on vacation with my relatives from Canada.

After Gloria too with the storm so sheared besides the south side of the eyewall you quickly went to BKN/SCT clouds and deep turbulent mixing lead to 50-60knot gusts inland as the storm passed.

I lived in Warwick, RI from when I was born until I was 11 or 12. I still remember my parents filling up the tub (for drinking water I assume) and my dad picking me up and taking me outside to enjoy the sunshine briefly amidst downed tree branches while the eye passed over. :thumbsup:

Heavy heavy power outages for ten days in SW RI, small EF0 through the neighborhood, unconfirmed because nobody from NWS came to check it out but damage path was about 2 miles long about 150 yards wide. Clear evidence, report is listed in NHC final as unconfirmed.

from wiki:

Hurricane Bob caused a storm surge of 6 to 10 feet (1.8 to 3.0 m) (above mean tide) along the Rhode Island shore, which would have resulted in four feet of water inundating downtown Providence had its protective hurricane barrier failed.[19] The surge was worse (10 to 15 feet (4.6 m)) in Buzzards Bay. The Buzzards Bay shore east to Cape Cod was hardest hit. The highest surges, of 12 to 15 feet (4.6 m), were observed in Onset, Bourne, and Wareham, at the head of Buzzards Bay. Cove Road in Mattapoisett had 29 of 37 homes destroyed, while Angelica Point lost 32 of 35 homes along the shore.

Ironically, for much of the Boston area, the biggest impact came after Bob went by and the WNW winds on the backside kicked up to storm force. That put alot of trees down.

Bob is the only tropical system of my (limited by living in the inland NE) experience to do this. Tree damage from NW winds was similar (minor to moderate) as that from SE winds. Peak gusts were probably about 60, putting it in the mix with Doria ('71), 4/82 blizzard, and 6/06 straightline TS wind for 4th place among the strongest winds I've experienced. (1950 Apps Gale and 12/62 frigid NW howler contend for 1st, Hazel is 3rd.) I missed Gloria's winds. Though working in AUG, I was still living in Ft.Kent (drive south Sun PM, return Fri late), where it was an ordinary fall storm in character. I did appreciate Gov. Brennan releasing state workers at noon that Fri so I could travel north ahead of the storm.

Bob dumped 6.4" RA at my (then) Gardiner, Maine home, most I've ever measured from a single event. PWM had about 8", their greatest ever in 24 hr at the time, since dwarfed by the 10/96 washout. The heavy RA all came prior to the wind shift, only about 0.4" after, as a windblown mist.

That was the only hurricane I've ever been through... still remember it vividly even though I was only 6.

I was 7 and the same goes for me. I can remember being a big disappointment IMBY. I vividly remember going outside the day of the hurricane and having no idea what all the fuss was about.

This happens with a lot of noreasters too. I think downsloping contributes quite a bit.

I was 7 and the same goes for me. I can remember being a big disappointment IMBY. I vividly remember going outside the day of the hurricane and having no idea what all the fuss was about.
damage dropped off night and day between about Lakeville/Middleboro and Bay St. Taunton. at grandparents on Wash st. and in Brittania there was some damage (taunton) and further up at home in NA it was fairly limited to large limbs down..nothing impressive. Im not sure if it was rt 495 yet ...i think so by 91` but that told the story. Anyone east of TAN got whacked

Archived