northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Severe wx potential Wednesday

free_man

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

definitely a lot of positives. Hopefully this shakes out well...even if they don't survive the journey se to mby...I enjoy tracking these things. my concern at this stage is that punch of super dry mid level air after 20z or so. Those -30c 7h dews are a bit much. Might be part of why some guidance is relatively dry with the fropa.

Interestingly the 18z GFS keeps the dry air out until after 21z back here. The 21z sounding for BDL and HFD is superb with strong shear, a big positive area, and a remnant EML. 18z GFS still shows pockets of mid level lapse rates near 8 c/km in this area at 21z along with 0-6km shear approaching 40 knots and 0-2km helicity near 200 m2/s2.

post-40-0-58575600-1306886937.png

Interestingly the 18z GFS keeps the dry air out until after 21z back here. The 21z sounding for BDL and HFD is superb with strong shear, a big positive area, and a remnant EML. 18z GFS still shows pockets of mid level lapse rates near 8 c/km in this area at 21z along with 0-6km shear approaching 40 knots and 0-2km helicity near 200 m2/s2.

200 is a good number around here. If the 18z GFS and those parameters were realized...there would be some fun in SNE.

yeah the GFS in general has been/is the best scenario. i'm sure even the lesser enthusiastic guidance would yield something anyway.

by-the-way...how can you stand looking at bufkit with the temp spread so large? LOL. i have to adjust it season by season. :lol:

The fact that Will negative Nancy is pulling some positives out of this is certainly comforting. There seems to be a nervous excitement vibe going on in here..The kind I know I felt before Gloria hit..I think we all know that feeling :weenie:

I think we all know the negatives, but at least we have a number of things that seem to be in our favor...and, the setup has improved if anything in the last 24 hours. That doesn't mean severe is a lock by any means, but usually we watch the setups sh*t the bed as we get closer.

I think we all know the negatives, but at least we have a number of things that seem to be in our favor...and, the setup has improved if anything in the last 24 hours. That doesn't mean severe is a lock by any means, but usually we watch the setups sh*t the bed as we get closer.

I know. To see all the mets all fairly keen on some severe wx tomorrow is good. I know you guys would never go ballls walls on severe wx inSNE..but this is as close as we've ever seen you all pretty stoked..in your own different ways

The lack of realization in Michigan today may be a red flag. They seem to lack a meaningful trigger - what has developed did so along the lake breeze boundary off of southern Lake Michigan, which extended toward the NE across the state during the afternoon. But by and large there appears to have been a lack of turn out.

i'd rather not have too much convective overturning

yeah the GFS in general has been/is the best scenario. i'm sure even the lesser enthusiastic guidance would yield something anyway.

by-the-way...how can you stand looking at bufkit with the temp spread so large? LOL. i have to adjust it season by season. :lol:

Weren't you the one who just posted about the -30c dew point at 700mb???? lol

decent K-index forecasts for the GFS...33 in ORH...35 in CAN...and 30 in BDL...those are pretty decent for thunderstorms...showing that the GFS does not have too much of a dry air issue in the boundary layer. Dry air at 700mb is very common in outbreaks...indicative of EML air masses and conducive for strong winds, hail, and tornadogenesis. We start to get dry air below 800mb...then you have to start to be more concerned.

decent K-index forecasts for the GFS...33 in ORH...35 in CAN...and 30 in BDL...those are pretty decent for thunderstorms...showing that the GFS does not have too much of a dry air issue in the boundary layer. Dry air at 700mb is very common in outbreaks...indicative of EML air masses and conducive for strong winds, hail, and tornadogenesis. We start to get dry air below 800mb...then you have to start to be more concerned.

Great post...just as long as we don't mix down that dry air...this is why we need to maintain a rich, moist low-level airmass and maintain it.

Yeah dry air up there won't stop these storms if its because of a remnant EML...those lapse rates will be excellent and the storms should explode through that layer. We definitely do not want it to mix down to the BL and dry it out though.

850 td's are good and a rather high KI near 30 is a good sign like you said. If 850 was dry, then I'd worry but those EML outbreaks always have a dry layer. Plus, it makes for good downdraft potential.

I can't believe you're going to keep score at a high school baseball game instead of chase. wtf????

Well as much as I'd love to chase my heart is also with Conard baseball...I've been with the team since my senior year...I used to do pitching charts and pitching stuff then this year I got to do the scorebook b/c the guy who did it is on the old side and can't really drive anymore.

I like New Britain though...I've seen some nasty storms there in the past...including 1.5'' hail in 2002...and I was at a Rock Cats game once when I was in 6th grade...May of 2000..it was a Sunday...NASTY storm, we all had to go to the bathrooms b/c there was a tornado warning.

Attica is browsing in here :thumbsup:

If he's in a SNE severe thread something must be up!!

He's probably just laughing at us getting interested in a slight risk that might produce a few quarter sized hailers and a 65mph wind gust.

Pretty classic northeast EML sounding at PIT this evening. +11c at 700, with an 850mb dewpoint of +15c...low level moisture is deep and you can see the cap. EML itself isn't quite as deep as a lot of cases in our study, but close enough.

post-13-0-37956200-1306889124.png

He's probably just laughing at us getting interested in a slight risk that might produce a few quarter sized hailers and a 65mph wind gust.

Bingo. I'm kind of laughing too but it is fun to see a little glimmer of excitement. I really can't wait until the first big snow threat is showing up in the models.

Archived