amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Severe wx potential Wednesday

free_man

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the biggest worry tomorrow is going to be instability to overcome any weak cap and also help to sustain storms. Shear looks pretty nice. GFS has dew point getting into the low 70s which is probably too high.

Great... Those winds are more south which gives us zero chance

That's not necessarily true. Storm motion would be from the west or perhaps wnw. That limits marine taint. We are plenty warm with ssw-sw winds, but I'd also like to see it come in between 4-5pm or so. Any later, and the atmosphere can stabilize a bit from the sw.

I think the biggest worry tomorrow is going to be instability to overcome any weak cap and also help to sustain storms. Shear looks pretty nice. GFS has dew point getting into the low 70s which is probably too high.

Yeah and who knows what kind of crap we'll have in the AM.

I'm glad to see the NAM has steepened lapse rates some. GFS is still very unstable.

Yeah and who knows what kind of crap we'll have in the AM.

I'm glad to see the NAM has steepened lapse rates some. GFS is still very unstable.

I think the dew points are probably the biggest worry tomorrow outside of maybe any cloud debris in the morning. The low 70s dews are unlikely to happen, but hopefully we can get those winds to be SSW and pool some upper 60s across out area. With 67-68F type dews, we'd probably be fine. I'm just worried about seeing like 64F by 18z which would lessen our chances at something big.

I think the dew points are probably the biggest worry tomorrow outside of maybe any cloud debris in the morning. The low 70s dews are unlikely to happen, but hopefully we can get those winds to be SSW and pool some upper 60s across out area. With 67-68F type dews, we'd probably be fine. I'm just worried about seeing like 64F by 18z which would lessen our chances at something big.

Well things are awfully juicy just to our SW so I think we'll start out OK. My concern is that the prefrontal trough swings through early and winds veer and start to dry us out.

Pretty classic EML sitting over the great lakes today. EML shows up nicely on the 12z pit and buf soundings. I'm hoping we can get a complex to develop over MI and ride around the ridge into NY tonight in classic EML-setup fashion.

Pretty classic EML sitting over the great lakes today. EML shows up nicely on the 12z pit and buf soundings. I'm hoping we can get a complex to develop over MI and ride around the ridge into NY tonight in classic EML-setup fashion.

Just in time to spoil tomorrow? lol

GFS has a nice EML look to it for parts of tomorrow. BDL has mid level lapse rates approaching 8 c/km for a period of time around 18z tomorrow.

Nope - getting shunted SE and just missing us; much in the same reason we are not getting the heat.

Just in time to spoil tomorrow? lol

GFS has a nice EML look to it for parts of tomorrow. BDL has mid level lapse rates approaching 8 c/km for a period of time around 18z tomorrow.

Some of the best svr events in New England have occurred in the wake of a departing EML plume when there is good shear and relatively high dewpoints. Get those dews up there, and we could be talking a really good event...perhaps more than one wave of svr wx too.

Originally it looked like we could get those lapse rates into SNE tomorrow, but it looks like that will be shunted to the south and southwest. What's your take on things? I think we worked out the pros and cons pretty well so far.

Some of the best svr events in New England have occurred in the wake of a departing EML plume when there is good shear and relatively high dewpoints. Get those dews up there, and we could be talking a really good event...perhaps more than one wave of svr wx too.

I was thinking the actual cold front could produce a decent round of storms, since that will have the better dynamics. I mentioned earlier perhaps seeing two rounds, but just a thought.

Yes... the ingredients are there... getting them to match up well and get the timing right will be an issue.

Forecast soundings look damn good to me.

Originally it looked like we could get those lapse rates into SNE tomorrow, but it looks like that will be shunted to the south and southwest. What's your take on things? I think we worked out the pros and cons pretty well so far.

GFS seems to keep lapse rates pretty steep through 21z in western SNE. Definitely a signal of that remnant EML plume.

I imagine some of this is going to depend on what happens to upstream convection over the Great Lakes.

Does this look to you like more than our typical cold fropa in New England where we get a handful of reports? Are you more psyched up than usual for this one?

GFS seems to keep lapse rates pretty steep through 21z in western SNE. Definitely a signal of that remnant EML plume.

I imagine some of this is going to depend on what happens to upstream convection over the Great Lakes.

The better lapse rates seem to be to the south, but yeah the GFS is pretty good for most of SNE. Even if you look at the SREFs you can see how the plume gets squashed south, but replacing this is better shear..so perhaps it's a wash.

Models are still at odds. Take a look at the difference in the sounding between NAM and GFS for ORH tomorrow at 18z:

110531190423.gif

110531190513.gif

The GFS on the top shows much better lapse rate between 500-700mb than the NAM. The NAM seems to wash out any remnant EML where there is still some semblance of it on the GFS.

Models are still at odds. Take a look at the difference in the sounding between NAM and GFS for ORH tomorrow at 18z:

The GFS on the top shows much better lapse rate between 500-700mb than the NAM. The NAM seems to wash out any remnant EML where there is still some semblance of it on the GFS.

At least back this way the NAM has pumped up the instability at 12z.... with somewhat steeper mid level lapse rates. GFS has been relatively steadfast. Maybe that trend will continue.

Archived