amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Severe wx potential Wednesday

free_man

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least back this way the NAM has pumped up the instability at 12z.... with somewhat steeper mid level lapse rates. GFS has been relatively steadfast. Maybe that trend will continue.

If today's 12z soundings are any indication, then I think the GFS is more correct. I was looking at the NAM/GFS yesterday and seeing how it tracked the EML out in the lakes and it really didn't have much of one by 12z today in BUF/PIT but obviously that is wrong.

If today's 12z soundings are any indication, then I think the GFS is more correct. I was looking at the NAM/GFS yesterday and seeing how it tracked the EML out in the lakes and it really didn't have much of one by 12z today in BUF/PIT but obviously that is wrong.

Yeah it's going to be a crapshoot... and really dependent on what happens with tonight's convection upstream I think.

The fact the GFS has been so impressive and the NAM at least is trending in the right direction is a good sign. I also like the fact we have some 70F dew points on the other side of that warm front in SE/SC PA.

Yeah it's going to be a crapshoot... and really dependent on what happens with tonight's convection upstream I think.

The fact the GFS has been so impressive and the NAM at least is trending in the right direction is a good sign. I also like the fact we have some 70F dew points on the other side of that warm front in SE/SC PA.

I wish we could see the euro soundings. It's a little sharper with the trough and better PVA into NNE as compared to the last 2 runs. That's about all I can tell from looking at home.

FWIW the NAM also was too weak with the EML overhead last week too. At least the GFS is consistent. Whether it's right or do we meet in the middle is something else. If the GFS is correct, than Wiz would be a happy man. Not too often you have almost 90 degree crossover at the surface to 500mb.

I wish we could see the euro soundings. It's a little sharper with the trough and better PVA into NNE as compared to the last 2 runs. That's about all I can tell from looking at home.

FWIW the NAM also was too weak with the EML overhead last week too. At least the GFS is consistent. Whether it's right or do we meet in the middle is something else. If the GFS is correct, than Wiz would be a happy man. Not too often you have almost 90 degree crossover at the surface to 500mb.

00z looked OK...better down toward NYC than say BDL.

haven't seen 12z yet.

A couple questions...

What is the best threat? Hail or wind? (I wont even mention TOR lol)

Also Mets, give me a town in NE where you would wanna be as of now for this event

Lastly, if we wake up tomorrow as see widespread 70s for dews.. is the event for sure on? Or what else can go wrong besides low dews

A couple questions...

What is the best threat? Hail or wind? (I wont even mention TOR lol)

Also Mets, give me a town in NE where you would wanna be as of now for this event

Lastly, if we wake up tomorrow as see widespread 70s for dews.. is the event for sure on? Or what else can go wrong besides low dews

Lack of sfc heating could be an issue if we get a lot of cloud debris in the morning from a leftover MCS. Dews can start high but then fall during the day if we get too much W component to the wind. Right now, I think things look cautiously optimistic, but those are two things to keep in mind.

The SPC WRF shows the complex of storms coming through in the morning. That's sort of a red flag that it's showing this, but if it does happen..lets hope we can recharge the atmosphere a bit. Even if the sun comes out by 10-11am...that's fine.

So we get an early morning squall line (fetish for Will) and then hope the sun comes out? That is awful if that happens

The SPC WRF shows the complex of storms coming through in the morning. That's sort of a red flag that it's showing this, but if it does happen..lets hope we can recharge the atmosphere a bit. Even if the sun comes out by 10-11am...that's fine.

What's the link for the SPC WRF? I can't seem to find mine.

12z euro @ 18Z bdl:

sbcape: 1381

mucape: 1432

tt: 51

li: -4

somewhat tall/skinny cape profile. lapse rates are marginal...little tongue of warmer air kind of messing with things in the 7h to 6h layer on this run...that feature doesn't exist further SW toward NYC so things are fatter down that way...and more like 2200 jkg.

So we get an early morning squall line (fetish for Will) and then hope the sun comes out? That is awful if that happens

Just saying what it shows, but we've had plenty of early morning/late aftn events. It's all good if it clears out by mid morning.

Nice 18z soundings from lower Michigan. Looks like a damaging wind threat up there with unidirectional wind profile... notice BL and 500mb both S/W. The trough at 500 mb seems to damp out a bit as it approaches SNE and so you wind up with mid level winds due west or even a bit north of west while BL winds stay SSW creating more favorable hodographs for tornadoes.

12z euro @ 18Z bdl:

sbcape: 1381

mucape: 1432

tt: 51

li: -4

somewhat tall/skinny cape profile. lapse rates are marginal...little tongue of warmer air kind of messing with things in the 7h to 6h layer on this run...that feature doesn't exist further SW toward NYC so things are fatter down that way...and more like 2200 jkg.

Thanks for posting that.

Nice 18z soundings from lower Michigan. Looks like a damaging wind threat up there with unidirectional wind profile... notice BL and 500mb both S/W. The trough at 500 mb seems to damp out a bit as it approaches SNE and so you wind up with mid level winds due west or even a bit north of west while BL winds stay SSW creating more favorable hodographs for tornadoes.

At least the trough starts to dig southeast to give some height falls. Height falls at least tell us that we have some forcing going on..whether it be cooling mid levels or just some weak lift.

At least the trough starts to dig southeast to give some height falls. Height falls at least tell us that we have some forcing going on..whether it be cooling mid levels or just some weak lift.

Yup. Heights actually fall pretty quickly. This synoptic setup is definitely similar to some of the biggies in NE history. There have been a lot of similar setups that have failed to perform, though, due to all sorts of issues.

Yup. Heights actually fall pretty quickly. This synoptic setup is definitely similar to some of the biggies in NE history. There have been a lot of similar setups that have failed to perform, though, due to all sorts of issues.

Take a pick...

In this case, I can almost foresee a pre-frontal trough due to intense heating, tending to result into a focus for convergence but premature to the better jet mechanics arriving; and then this presaging action advects seaward taking a ...quasi dry-line with. Then the cold front comes through with the jet dynamics, but because the theta-e was robbed, not much happens. I can't begin to count how often I have seen this happen, particularly when the shear is derived more unidirectional than helicoidal.

The best severe around these parts seems to happen when a you get a nacen warm front.

That said, it's been a few years since we have seen a bona fide squalline - the kind where everyone gets 40+mph outflow winds with a few embedded severe, in a solid line from central NE to NYC.... Those are a lot of fun.

Wow, the 18z NAM kind of went nuts with dewpoints. It looks like it does a better job of keeping the sfc more out of the SSW through 18z.

There's a lot of high td air lurking over the mid atlantic. Will be interesting to see how much we advect up here after midnight and during tomorrow.

SPC SREF probabilities are pretty damn good.

There is about a 50% chance of Sig Tor of 3 or greater near BDL/Springfield at 21z tomorrow.

There is a greater than 30% chance of MLCAPE of 3000 J/kg or greater in Western CT/MA...and a greater than 90% chance of MLCAPE of 2000 j/kg or greater in nearly the same areas.

Archived