CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Severe wx potential Wednesday

free_man

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like by afternoon the models want to blow a mid level front through and really dry us out upstairs. May be a race to get convection off in time.

Yeah I mentioned that the other night...Nick mentioned it may have been associated with an EML but on closer look it actually looks like it's a mid-level front that comes through.

This actually blows b/c the better shear comes in between 21z and 0z and things are still quite unstable at the sfc b/c with the mid-level front coming through it really dries things out and we might not have a great deal of lift in the mid-levels...we would really need some intense updrafts...that's where getting those 3500+ Cape values would be of benefit.

It's NEVER a good thing when the mid-level front blows through before the sfc front (or it might be the opposite).

I'm still pretty nervous, we still will have a severe threat but this might not be a widespread severe weather producing event.

This just completely blows...you can see on the NAM that dry air in the mid-levels works down into the lower levels and then to the sfc which will decrease the level of instability. We saw this alot last summer when we had these westerly flows aloft...the dews would drop during the day.

If we weren't drying out the dews tomorrow this may not have really been an issue but it's asking alot for the low levels to completely recover in such a short amount of time.

This just completely blows...you can see on the NAM that dry air in the mid-levels works down into the lower levels and then to the sfc which will decrease the level of instability. We saw this alot last summer when we had these westerly flows aloft...the dews would drop during the day.

If we weren't drying out the dews tomorrow this may not have really been an issue but it's asking alot for the low levels to completely recover in such a short amount of time.

If we can keep the winds more SSW, then that would help and keep dew points higher. We definitely do not want like a WSW wind that has more downslope component.

If we can keep the winds more SSW, then that would help and keep dew points higher. We definitely do not want like a WSW wind that has more downslope component.

Yeah this will be huge and something we probably won't have a solid idea about until Wednesday morning. Having the winds at the sfc and lower-levels more SSW would also create much more low-level convergence.

yeah that will be key... i think we'll be ok in that regard with the warm front pushing through in the am.

Flipping through the BUFKIT soundings on Wednesday on the GFS is pretty wild. Looks like the EML will help lid convection until we start getting the synoptic scale lift in here from that 500 mb shortwave.

Fairly strong winds aloft with a backed boundary layer flow look good. I'm worried about either overnight convection that covers us with a lot of cloud cover during the day and/or that convection driving steep mid level lapse rates to crap.

Also if we get a pre frontal trough to swing through too early and winds wind up veering we could dry out the boundary layer too fast. Something to watch for.

Flipping through the BUFKIT soundings on Wednesday on the GFS is pretty wild. Looks like the EML will help lid convection until we start getting the synoptic scale lift in here from that 500 mb shortwave.

Fairly strong winds aloft with a backed boundary layer flow look good. I'm worried about either overnight convection that covers us with a lot of cloud cover during the day and/or that convection driving steep mid level lapse rates to crap.

Also if we get a pre frontal trough to swing through too early and winds wind up veering we could dry out the boundary layer too fast. Something to watch for.

The cloud products that have been generally pretty accurate as of late on bufkit are actually pretty clear cloudwise... thats at least a good thing

Oh thanks...wasn't sure if I was right or not.

Just remember that diffluence doesn't necessarily mean there is net divergence. You actually have speed convergence there coming out of the base of the trough as the winds weaken and the air "piles up". You can plot the div/conv on the Plym Vortex site I believe though.

Archived