joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Severe wx potential Wednesday

free_man

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm bullish too. I wouldn't be surprised to see quite a light show and maybe some hail. Instability is looking more and more impressive each model run.

the nam has it too--but it's farther south over eastern pa, nj, and nyc. pretty significant area vorticity with the convection valid 09z monday morning.

f15.gif

Really? Back here it looks 30-40 knots of 0-6km bulk shear. 18z NAM less.... 12z GFS more. NW winds up to 40 knots at 500mb 18z-00z with somewhat veered boundary layer winds.

I was looking at this and wasn't that impressed, ML winds were pretty weak...but maybe it will be better. Perhaps a wet microburst gust could bring down 30-35 kts from 500mb.

http://68.226.77.253/text/meso/NAM_KBDL.txt

the nam has it too--but it's farther south over eastern pa, nj, and nyc. pretty significant area vorticity with the convection valid 09z monday morning.

I think the NAM probably is honing in too much on the vort max it's blowing up now and not on what will likely develop on the northern flank of the current MCS and further east into NYS.

I was looking at this and wasn't that impressed, ML winds were pretty weak...but maybe it will be better. Perhaps a wet microburst gust could bring down 30-35 kts from 500mb.

http://68.226.77.253...so/NAM_KBDL.txt

BUFKIT soundings look decent. GFS has 40-45 knot winds tomorrow afternoon. Certainly not bad... we've had much worse.

If something pops we'll have the shear to organize the convection... with a good bit of instability. I still think most of us remained capped though.

BUFKIT soundings look decent. GFS has 40-45 knot winds tomorrow afternoon. Certainly not bad... we've had much worse.

If something pops we'll have the shear to organize the convection... with a good bit of instability. I still think most of us remained capped though.

I like Wednesday's mid-level wind field much better.

I like Wednesday's mid-level wind field much better.

No doubt. But Monday definitely has enough shear for storm organization. I think it's more likely that no storms form at all or the ones that do remain disorganized.

With 2000 j/kg + of CAPE and 30-35 knots of 0-6km bulk shear that's certainly enough for severe.

No doubt. But Monday definitely has enough shear for storm organization. I think it's more likely that no storms form at all or the ones that do remain disorganized.

With 2000 j/kg + of CAPE and 30-35 knots of 0-6km bulk shear that's certainly enough for severe.

Eh, high WBZ heights and pretty weak 700mb winds. Seems like the type of weenie threat where wiz reports a lot of twigs down from a 40 knot gust on the HAM radio.

I remember a setup like this a few summers ago, I think it was 2007...we had a great deal of cape with not a great deal of shear but tomorrow's shear values are much higher...we were also capped that day...the cap did break and a few storms popped...there was one cell that developed over the Windsor Locks area I think...produced a great deal of rain and strong winds.

I remember a setup like this a few summers ago, I think it was 2007...we had a great deal of cape with not a great deal of shear but tomorrow's shear values are much higher...we were also capped that day...the cap did break and a few storms popped...there was one cell that developed over the Windsor Locks area I think...produced a great deal of rain and strong winds.

Well I'm not really expecting much of anything tomorrow... but if things form we'll have some nice shear and CAPE for things to work with.

Well I'm not really expecting much of anything tomorrow... but if things form we'll have some nice shear and CAPE for things to work with.

If we see storms tomorrow it's only going to be one or two...I highly doubt we see widespread convection. But those one or two cells could certainly pack a punch...mainly with strong winds and a crap load of CG.

Archived