• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Central PA Summer Thread

I like to look back and see history but in this case, July '95 didn't look too bad. One day hit 97 but that was about it. July '94 or '96 weren't bad either. Perhaps another year and/or month?

http://www.wundergro...eq_statename=NA

Hmm, well i threw the caveat in their about my memory. I thought for sure it was in '95, but obviously I'm wrong. Sorry....

• Replies 953
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, well i threw the caveat in their about my memory. I thought for sure it was in '95, but obviously I'm wrong. Sorry....

No big. I just like looking up historic weather events and wanted to see how bad the one you mentioned was.

Any mid-long range thoughts? As in, rain chances and if we get any kind of extended break from the heat? I have heard a bit about a flip at the beginning of August to normal temps.

Don't see much of either in the mid range. Looks like another round of heat later next week, although it shouldn't be quite as intense as the current round. I don't see a whole lot of rain in our future, and until we get some meaningful rain, it's going to be really hard to get things cool around here.

This was quite the impressive day. Hit 101 in Altoona, which was the second highest temperature ever recorded, and when I left work just before midnight, it was still 87 in town. Stepping out into that was more shocking than stepping out into the 100 earlier in the day.

Don't see much of either in the mid range. Looks like another round of heat later next week, although it shouldn't be quite as intense as the current round. I don't see a whole lot of rain in our future, and until we get some meaningful rain, it's going to be really hard to get things cool around here.

This was quite the impressive day. Hit 101 in Altoona, which was the second highest temperature ever recorded, and when I left work just before midnight, it was still 87 in town. Stepping out into that was more shocking than stepping out into the 100 earlier in the day.

It'll be interesting to see if Altoona gets up that high again. Pretty sure two consecutive days at 100+ would be unprecedented for that station. It's def gonna make a good run at it but it may come up short today given what appears to be higher dewpoints on tap for today making it a lil tougher to max out the temps. They were in the mid 60s yesterday afternoon and i'm thinking that and the WNW flow yesterday downsloping off the Laurels might've helped stations like AOO and UNV bust into the triple digits. Either way it'll be feelin just as bad or worse than yesterday.

Any mid-long range thoughts? As in, rain chances and if we get any kind of extended break from the heat? I have heard a bit about a flip at the beginning of August to normal temps.

I agree with Brian on the mid range. The weather we're seeing today through maybe tomorrow or so likely will be the highest temp wise of the summer, but we have the rest of the month and August to go yet so i'm not gonna be totally banking on that yet. I'm more concerned about the precip trends for the region. So far for our region it's more of a short term drought with the precip deficits being more recent, so it's not necessarily hurting the water table that much but it certainly is on things like the lawn and plants/crops. Newest drought monitor does show D0 centered over most of the north central and a smattering of D0 conditions here and there over the southeast part of the state. The national map has that area dilineated for agricultural effects (not hydrological). So if we can get in some decent rain soon we would be alright. Unfortunately, it is already typically a pretty dry time of the year as it is. There are some scattered thunderstorm chances next week but nothing that looks widespread enough to do much right now. Hopefully we can get something like a rogue MCS moving over the area to alleviate some of the dryness.

Zach, the iceman and Mag are like the 3 wiseman, bearing gifts of hazy, Hot and Humid!

:lol: bring it on...we're at 93/76. 105 heat index already

Does bad air quality affect anyone here? I feel a little dizzy and about half spaced out (more than usual) when it's bad out.

it effects me when it's really bad... but only when i exercise.

Archived