Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Central PA Summer Thread

• Replies 953
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No ****? WOW. must have been a tight line. Did you see how dark it was towards your north? Did you have the wind?

It got very dark indeed, even directly over the house. But I didn't notice any wind to speak of, granted I wasn't outside but usually can hear a decent wind storm of course since my home has 18 windows. :)

Lucky, that is good for maintaining a trout season. Here in Lancaster the steams have warmed considerably and have capped any good fishing until September. But this time of year a person can switch to quarry fishing during the evening and still fair well.

Funny you mention that. The other night when I went to pull the pump out of the water, my flashlight caught a beautiful little brookie for about a second.

Sure rub it in........i love OC. i may moove there someday.

Jamie, the Susq. River water is very warm. My friend told me yesterday he was out fishing over the weekend. He said he was hot so jumped in, he said it was like bath water.

That's when my old man and I would be in the Susky in shorts and sneakers, a minnow bucket, and ultralight tackle catching tons of smallmouth and rock bass.

I love OC too. I wish it wasn't getting so built up but I still love it.

Back to weather, looks like a few storms popping. Anyone know why CTP's radar is down?

Edit: never mind: Message Date: Jul 19 2011 16:53:31KCCX PEDESTAL MOTOR IS BEING INVESTIGATED. EXPECT KCCX TO BE OUT OF SERVICE INTOTHE EVENING HOURS. ADDITIONAL REPAIRS MAY BE NECESSARY.

Go up to Nicks house of ribs, that is if you like ribs. They are finger lickin good. OrBrass balls they are on the BW. they have good samiches there.

This. I've been going there for years, best ribs i've ever had, and i order ribs pretty much everywhere i go.

Seriously good.

Seriously muggy out. My 12 year old son will be playing in the Lancaster New Era Midget Midget championship in just under 5 hours. Game #48 on the season, tonight is the last one...

Expect the heat flags to be hoisted soon by CTP. Already out for south and east. Knowing our office's tardy tendency, maybe something by tomorrow or tomorrow night.

Assuming the current 70 DP,

Thursday's high of 97 = 104 index or upper limit Heat Advisory

Friday's high of 99 = 106 index or lower limit Excessive Heat Warning

Does anyplace around here do the cooling center thing like they do in Philly? (other than going to the mall)

Expect the heat flags to be hoisted soon by CTP. Already out for south and east. Knowing our office's tardy tendency, maybe something by tomorrow or tomorrow night.

Assuming the current 70 DP,

Thursday's high of 97 = 104 index or upper limit Heat Advisory

Friday's high of 99 = 106 index or lower limit Excessive Heat Warning

Does anyplace around here do the cooling center thing like they do in Philly? (other than going to the mall)

perfect.

edit, we just went under an excessive heat watch in Cumberland County. I think i may cook dinner on the driveway

perfect.

edit, we just went under an excessive heat watch in Cumberland County. I think i may cook dinner on the driveway

Yup, the SE portion of the CWA just went under an Excessive Heat Watch for Thursday which surely will extend to Friday at some point.

Good for them getting it out in time for preparedness. Numbers like 105+ get serious in a hurry.

This. I've been going there for years, best ribs i've ever had, and i order ribs pretty much everywhere i go.

Seriously good.

Seriously muggy out. My 12 year old son will be playing in the Lancaster New Era Midget Midget championship in just under 5 hours. Game #48 on the season, tonight is the last one...

Best of luck to him! He will never forget it. I played in a championship game at his age and won. I was 2 for 4 with an RBI and a double, we won 10-8. It was hot like this but hell, I could care less. That post game ice cream never tasted so good.

Make sure he drinks plenty of water...tell him that. He'll forget to, lol.

I went out for a 30 minute walk down by the river. It's not nearly as hot as I thought it'd be, actually. Not joking, either. Low 90s, humid but nothing that really gets to you. My parents are currently sitting at 106 with 86 percent humidity. Gotta love it. LOL

Get away from that river and it'll be different.

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA

143 PM EDT WED JUL 20 2011

...DANGEROUS HEAT WAVE TO IMPACT MUCH OF CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA

THURSDAY AND FRIDAY...

PAZ012-018-019-025-026-034-035-211000-

/O.NEW.KCTP.HT.Y.0003.110721T1600Z-110722T0000Z/

/O.NEW.KCTP.HT.Y.0004.110722T1600Z-110723T0000Z/

NORTHERN CLINTON-NORTHERN CENTRE-SOUTHERN CENTRE-BLAIR-HUNTINGDON-

BEDFORD-FULTON-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...RENOVO...PHILIPSBURG...STATE COLLEGE...

ALTOONA...HUNTINGDON...MOUNT UNION...BEDFORD...MCCONNELLSBURG

143 PM EDT WED JUL 20 2011

...HEAT ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM NOON TO 8 PM EDT THURSDAY...

...HEAT ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM NOON TO 8 PM EDT FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STATE COLLEGE HAS ISSUED A HEAT

ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM NOON TO 8 PM EDT THURSDAY AND

AGAIN FROM NOON TO 8 PM EDT FRIDAY.

* TEMPERATURES...MID TO UPPER 90S.

* HEAT INDEX VALUES...100 TO 105 DEGREES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

TAKE EXTRA PRECAUTIONS IF YOU WORK OR SPEND TIME OUTSIDE. WHEN

POSSIBLE...RESCHEDULE STRENUOUS ACTIVITIES TO EARLY MORNING OR

EVENING. KNOW THE SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF HEAT EXHAUSTION AND HEAT

STROKE. WEAR LIGHT WEIGHT AND LOOSE FITTING CLOTHING WHEN

POSSIBLE AND DRINK PLENTY OF WATER.

TO REDUCE RISK DURING OUTDOOR WORK...THE OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND

HEALTH ADMINISTRATION RECOMMENDS SCHEDULING FREQUENT REST BREAKS

IN SHADED OR AIR CONDITIONED ENVIRONMENTS. ANYONE OVERCOME BY

HEAT SHOULD BE MOVED TO A COOL AND SHADED LOCATION. HEAT STROKE

IS AN EMERGENCY...CALL 9 1 1.

CHILDREN AND PETS SHOULD NEVER BE LEFT UNATTENDED IN VEHICLES

UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. THIS IS ESPECIALLY TRUE DURING HOT

WEATHER...WHEN CAR INTERIORS CAN REACH LETHAL TEMPERATURES IN A

MATTER OF MINUTES. RESIDENTS SHOULD CHECK UP ON ELDERLY RELATIVES

AND NEIGHBORS...AND REMEMBER TO PROVIDE PETS WITH ADEQUATE WATER

AND SHELTER FROM THE SUN.

&&

$$

Gonna be a rough next couple days for the folks that have to be outside during the day. Not too often you see the entire state covered in heat headlines. Excessive heat vs heat advisory placement looks decent, as the Sus valley will probably be seeing temps a few degrees higher as well as higher humidity values than the central and northern counties. I think the really dry weather we've had as of late and associated dry ground conditions might even help tack on a couple more degrees to surface temps. I expect to see triple digits lighting up the southeastern sites (H-burg, York, Lancaster, Gettysburg, Reading, etc)

Archived