• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 23-27 Severe Weather Obs/Disc.

Ellinwood

Looking at today, all 3 of my hi-res go-to models (NMM, HRRR, LWX ARW) showing big storms popping up over the region mid-afternoon into the early evening. The NAM shows a somewhat more linear feature compared to the hi-res models coming through the area. Upper-level winds aren't that good, but directional shear (S/SSW at SFC and W aloft) and CAPE (1000-2000 J/kg SB) are in excellent form. Storms are expected to form, but may have a hard time getting organized due to the lack of supportive upper-level winds and marginal mid-level lapse rates. Most/all of the region east of the mountains could see some storm action today.

SPC currently has a 2% risk for tornadoes in the region, but as I said in the main severe thread I wouldn't be surprised if it got upgraded to a 5% risk somewhere in the region today (while keeping wind/hail at 15% each).

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ummmm... NoMD? :P A bit too hard to get more specific than that at this point. I would guess anywhere along and N of I-70 for the time being.

Ah okay. I guess I could be considered NoMd now, hence why I asked. Thanks :)

mostly agree with the north placement of the 5%... never know tho. 500/850 look is a bit nw of optimal for past tornado days around here. maybe we can tal end charley a tornado through d.c. ;)

I could see the possibility of two rounds of storms... first round mid-afternoon with a second (stronger?) batch late afternoon into the early evening hours.

Usually our second rounds (when we get them which is rare) are always weaker - first ones always work the atmos over too much

Usually our second rounds (when we get them which is rare) are always weaker - first ones always work the atmos over too much

I'm not expecting the first round to do too much... some showers and general boomers with maybe a stray severe report or two. Better forcing coming with the later stuff.

I could see the possibility of two rounds of storms... first round mid-afternoon with a second (stronger?) batch late afternoon into the early evening hours.

I agree with this given the SRW over the depth of the lower toped updraft that I would expect, we may have a chance to at the very least partially clear out for several hours behind this first round. Obviously how much destabilization occurs remains to be seen, but I'm hopeful.

Archived