• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Storm Chase Day

TalcottWx

I know wiz is in already.. I want to preplan a day for a chase so when a decently foretasted day comes about with definite lift and instability comes marching along we can hop on it.. I'm going to need gas cash for it as I drive an 03 explorer that pretty much eats gas and is $90 a fill up.. but just bringing the idea forth..

Discuss

And yes Forky I know SVR doesn't exist in SNE

Don't forget the wooded nature of SNE outside of cities makes it tough to get a good visual on chasing cells, nevermind the instability issue.

Unlike last year I have a phone with all the same features as a computer and GPS on map with radar so I mean it shouldnt be hard to place ourselves in front of a cell

Unlike last year I have a phone with all the same features as a computer and GPS on map with radar so I mean it shouldnt be hard to place ourselves in front of a cell

unless there's a historic outbreak, it's probably not worth it

You and I had a successful chase (separately) 2 years ago in June for the Wethersfield tornado.

I just wish i had seen it on the ground. I saw the rotation as I came over the Charter Oak bridge..and then got pelted by golf ball and a few tennis ball sized hail stones and straight line damaing winds in newington.. But yeah I was right in the middle of that one ..with guidance from you in the studio

I just wish i had seen it on the ground. I saw the rotation as I came over the Charter Oak bridge..and then got pelted by golf ball and a few tennis ball sized hail stones and straight line damaing winds in newington.. But yeah I was right in the middle of that one ..with guidance from you in the studio

:weenie:

fail fail fail

One of those severe events in NE where it is better to look good than to feel good ;)

Or as David Lee Roth said " It doesn't matter if you win or lose, it is how good you looked"

And that setup looked damn good; chalk it up as a historic NE severe day!

The 1989 supercell and ORH were probably the only ones you could legit chase and hope to see something

I've heard recounts that the Hamden 1989 tornado was rain wrapped. If thats true, it would have been a dangerous storm to chase.

Don't forget the wooded nature of SNE outside of cities makes it tough to get a good visual on chasing cells, nevermind the instability issue.

One of the very few advantages the Valley has for a weather lover over the rest of New England is the wide open viewing spots for incoming storms. It really doesn't matter much of course, because in my years here there's never been a visible tornado. Good squall lines and some weak supercells sure.... 2 years ago today there was a weak tornado in Sunderland, but it was totally rain-wrapped... No chance of seeing it. A few funnels have been reported but quite likely it was just scud.

I've heard recounts that the Hamden 1989 tornado was rain wrapped. If thats true, it would have been a dangerous storm to chase.

It was but the fact it was so long lived (from upstate ny) means you probably could intercept it given the amount of lead time. The f3 touchdown from Cornwall to bantam in ct probably was the best bet for seeing something.

My friend from NH will be down from May 28th-June 10th. In that time frame we will be chasing anything around our region. This will be the third straight year we've done this. The first year we had two chase opportunities in the two weeks...one was down in DE where we saw a wall cloud and then the following week we went to PA but this one didn't work out.

Last summer we got to chase on 6/5 and 6/6...we went to BDL both days and we actually caught the developing stages of a funnel cloud.

We also have video of all our chases.

Archived