joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Paid the tolls...moving into winter

weathafella

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When any given modeled soloution is transient due to a pattern that is in a state of great flux, these are inherent occurences.

You need to comprehend that and wrap your mind around that fact going in, or else you are going to end up with tipped chairs, couches....whole dinning room set.

I remember about`13 or so years ago when I was living in NJ driving in my car when the weather came on and announced a WSW for the following day. I didn't have access to much internet information then, but there had been no discussion of any snow, much less warning criteria. A real nice surprise. That's what we need.

Its splitting the polar jet which creates some storms pretty far south without a STJ. Couple that with Atlantic blocking and you have a pattern that resembles nothing like a Nina.

Reading today about the split jet that set off the 71 blizzard, cool stuff. If you watch the WV loop from this past month there has been a definite feed from the subtropics at times, jet streaks included.

I remember about`13 or so years ago when I was living in NJ driving in my car when the weather came on and announced a WSW for the following day. I didn't have access to much internet information then, but there had been no discussion of any snow, much less warning criteria. A real nice surprise. That's what we need.

December 23, 1997 event maybe.... but that was likely rain in NJ.

It also illustrates why you shouldn't throw the towel in on a possible event that's 5+ days away. Especially given the present parameters.

I remember when I thought Jan '96 was going to be a MA type storm. I can remember plain as day, when Dick Albert was saying..."If you're traveling to NYC and especially south..prepare for a major major winter storm in those locations". Here's how much of a sicko I am.....I remember Barbara Conrad on WLVI TV-56 report what the ETA FOUS had for Boston at the end of the 10pm news. She said "well I got the latest data in, and it looks like Boston is under the gun for heavy snow". This was 48 hrs out iirc.

For PDII, I gave the low at least a chance to come north, as many again were calling it a MA storm.

I felt pretty good about Jan 2005 when the ETA started moving that baby north.

I remember when I thought Jan '96 was going to be a MA type storm. I can remember plain as day, when Dick Albert was saying..."If you're traveling to NYC and especially south..prepare for a major major winter storm in those locations". Here's how much of a sicko I am.....I remember Barbara Conrad on WLVI TV-56 report what the ETA FOUS had for Boston at the end of the 10pm news. She said "well I got the latest data in, and it looks like Boston is under the gun for heavy snow". This was 48 hrs out iirc.

For PDII, I gave the low at least a chance to come north, as many again were calling it a MA storm.

1/96 was such an awesome surprise. I went up to VT with my parents skiing Friday night and Saturday and on the way home we stopped at my grandparents house in Northampton and I saw the 6 pm weather report Saturday. I raced home and pulled up some model data on the web and was in awe :)

Reading today about the split jet that set off the 71 blizzard, cool stuff. If you watch the WV loop from this past month there has been a definite feed from the subtropics at times, jet streaks included.

There has been, but also...what Will says is true as well. I think the main point is how ridiculous the Atlantic has been.

I remember Mish Michaels explaining how it was going to miss and smoke NYC, but then she had to mention that "some new data" was printing out up to 10" for Boston.

1/96 was such an awesome surprise. I went up to VT with my parents skiing Friday night and Saturday and on the way home we stopped at my grandparents house in Northampton and I saw the 6 pm weather report Saturday. I raced home and pulled up some model data on the web and was in awe :)

Yeah it's near and dear to me, since it broke my 2' cherry. I was freakin' pumped during that storm.

Dec 03 woke up to Craig Allen 'man the weather maps have done a 360 '

I remember Mish Michaels explaining how it was going to miss and smoke NYC, but then she had to mention that "some new data" was printing out up to 10" for Boston.

LOL, this is funny. I think Conrad mentioned 10" as well.

I used to work at Stop @ Shop and the next day, was pandemonium.

I've willed storms into verification before and I'll do it again.lol I was in Buffalo just before PDII and I was staying at a cousin's house that just happens to be a Met. It looked like it was going to be a wiff until shortly before if i remember correctly. Once it started to look like it would plow North I cut my visit short and drove back here at light speed. Bffalo to W.chesterfield 4.5 hrs.

It would have been around that year, but not sure of the month. I was in NW NJ out by Sussex County. Probably got more snow than a lot of Mass there.

No part of NJ averages what Ray does for snow. There are some towns there that avg in the mid to upper 40s and even a few 50s in the highest hilltops over 1200 feet. Ray averages low 60s.

Impossible there is no STJ or so I was told. Such a minor database for knowledgeable folks to make such absolutes.

the deep south from texas east into La, Miss, Al and into florida and to the north across the lower miss valley east into the tenn valley and east from there into the carolinas are all in various degrees of drought, very indicative of a nina.... actually its classic.

No part of NJ averages what Ray does for snow. There are some towns there that avg in the mid to upper 40s and even a few 50s in the highest hilltops over 1200 feet. Ray averages low 60s.

NW NJ isn't bad, but that area from MPO up through I-84in PA can do real well in the winter. Some of that area is over 2k. Seems high enough to get a boost from elevation, but far enough east to get the coastals.

NJ gets nasty icing. I used to have t travel to Flanders quite a bit for work and it always seemed we would be getting pummelled and they would be ice city

Thread derail?

But Bob said the NT is just a GFS fallacy

Archived