• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Amazing SPC storm report map (4/4/2011)

I don't know what the record is but this has got to be close. I have looked at total storm reports in the past in huge events and those usually max out 500-800 range. And they had help becuase .75 and .88 hail counted back then unlike today.

Now more will be added to this as the day goes on too. However I have seen in the past reports can decrease because if reported events are too close to each other they count as one report and they adjust it later

as of 12:27

970 reports: this will go over 1000 soon(unless they take somne away because of the above)

there have been fatalities and widespread damage

The sad thing is if this were a weak tropical storm it woild of gotten 10 times the media coverage

some notes: an SPC day runs from 12z to 12z

This worked out perfect for this event as storms started at 12z on the 4th and rolled off most of the coast an hour ago

If this event happened started in the Western Plains the reports would be lower becuase of lower population

so it looks like everything worked out perfectly for a 1000 report event

110404_rpts.gif

I believe that yesterday, now at 1032 reports, has the most reports of any day in the SPC's history. The next closest I can find is 4/2/06, with 1012 reports.

The question becomes, should this have been I high risk day. I would argue no, because of how the SPC defines the criteria for a high risk day (significant severe needed for wind), and because there were only 2 significant wind reports.

I believe that yesterday, now at 1032 reports, has the most reports of any day in the SPC's history. The next closest I can find is 4/2/06, with 1012 reports.

The question becomes, should this have been I high risk day. I would argue no, because of how the SPC defines the criteria for a high risk day (significant severe needed for wind), and because there were only 2 significant wind reports.

Agreed. There needs to be more widespread significant criteria met, which we did not see.

1056 reports ohmy.gif

If I recall that was one of the first severe superthreads on Eastern... DVDweather started it like a week beforehand, and it panned out.

Where do you see that? SPC page has 872 reports http://www.spc.noaa....60402_rpts.html

EDIT: I see your # reported here: http://www.tbd.com/b...ears-10007.html

EDIT AGAIN: And it's in the annual summaries. What gives with the reports map, then?

they took the 2 significant wind reports off the map perhaps becuase they were only estimated?

was this a HIGH risk? I would argue yes..just look at the map. There is also much structual damage. Just because there was not alot of gusts at 75+ MPH measured doesn't mean they didn't happen.

but again you take this same system in the plains and there would be less reports because of the lesseer population and less trees to knock over

Please note: On March 8, 2011, the proximity space/time rule is no longer being utilized to de-duplicate events and minimal filtering is now applied to the decoded reports. All comments/remarks in the LSRs are captured on the raw files and the users can decide, for their own purposes, the best way to remove duplicate reports from the LSR's.

they took the 2 significant wind reports off the map perhaps becuase they were only estimated?

was this a HIGH risk? I would argue yes..just look at the map. There is also much structual damage. Just because there was not alot of gusts at 75+ MPH measured doesn't mean they didn't happen.

but again you take this same system in the plains and there would be less reports because of the lesseer population and less trees to knock over

Without a doubt this would have verified a high risk, the thing is with the structural damage you know the winds were over 75mph in those cases. I am sure there will be adjustments to come in the next few days.

Where do you see that? SPC page has 872 reports http://www.spc.noaa....60402_rpts.html

EDIT: I see your # reported here: http://www.tbd.com/b...ears-10007.html

EDIT AGAIN: And it's in the annual summaries. What gives with the reports map, then?

i quicky counted 167 hail reports of that 872 number that were either .75 and .88 inches (that wouldn't count today a severe report)

this will be repeated in many areas

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NASHVILLE TN

742 AM CDT TUE APR 5 2011

...NWS STORM SURVEY CREWS WILL EXAMINE DAMAGE IN SEVERAL LOCATIONS

TODAY...

STRAIGHT LINE WINDS AND POSSIBLE TORNADOES HAVE CAUSED

SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE IN SEVERAL LOCATIONS ACROSS MIDDLE TENNESSEE ON

MONDAY.

THE NWS WILL BE DISPATCHING STORM SURVEY TEAMS TO EXAMINE

AS MUCH DAMAGE AS POSSIBLE TODAY. HOWEVER...SURVEYING THE DAMAGE

REPORTED TO THIS POINT COULD POSSIBILY TAKE AT LEAST TWO DAYS...WE

WILL PROVIDE UPDATES REGARDING THE PROGRESS OF OUR SURVEY TEAMS...AND

WILL ISSUE FINDINGS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

I guess go through the raw data and eliminate them in a way you find rigorous, or at least that's what they seem to be implying.

what was the old criteria? I think you posted it once so much time and/or distance apart.

so they want us to go through 1100+ reports and try to figure out when and where the overlaps are? no thanks

perhaps someone will contact them and see if they can quickly do it with their software

what was the old criteria? I think you posted it once so much time and/or distance apart.

so they want us to go through 1100+ reports and try to figure out when and where the overlaps are? no thanks

perhaps someone will contact them and see if they can quickly do it with their software

I don't know that one.

The problem is defining overlapping hail and wind events is not very objective. A tornado can be thought of as a discreet event, it began at point A and dissipated at point B, so you can use a point measurement of a tornado to identify a particular tornado and determine overlaps. Hail and wind events are more continuous events; a point measurement of a hailstone (wind gust) of a particular size (strength) only indicates the likely location of a hail (wind) swath. There's unlikely to be enough obs to determine separate swaths, so really, what's an overlap?

I thought some of the reports looked close together in the LSR

so how do we filter this to compare it to others from the past?

From Accuweather:

http://www.accuweath...her-the-lar.asp

Another factor to consider is that the Storm Prediction Center, which takes all of the storm reports from local offices and combines it into one report, used to use certain filters on the data.

Late last year, the center removed their filters, which did not plot multiple reports of the same event if they were within 15 miles of each other. Therefore, the data this severe weather season is truly raw with every single report being plotted on the map.

In speaking with Meteorologist Greg Carbin of the Storm Prediction Center, he said that "if you add in the filters from a year ago on the preliminary data from Monday, you end up with approximately 850 severe weather reports."

Only two other events have been observed with more than 850 severe weather reports. Those events occurred on May 30, 2004 and April 2, 2006.

Carbin said, "If you take the numbers literally in terms of overall severe weather reports with the time/space filtering, April 4, 2011 would fall into third place."

He also stated, "As far as wind reports, it appears that, even with filtering, this most recent event

may have the greatest number of severe wind reports in a single 24-hour period on record."

Archived