• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Spring Thread

Allenson

I'll save the pics for later after an afternoon on the hill.

Suffice it to say, I couldn't imagine a more beautiful place to live.

PF hoping your getting a pic of the chin, from here it is looking like a winter wonderland. Clouds just starting to break up over J/N Greens, WOW.

No frost this morning, sitting on 34F bright sunshine, I was starting to feel a bit soggy.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went for a run last evening. Once I got up to about 1500' or so it was a mix of rain and snow but things were very showery here. Very pretty and warm this morning. I didn't see any frosting on the hills on the drive in. Nothing too dramatic with the Whites, Moosilauke didn't look particularly snowy.

Heading up now... a little later than I wanted to, but hopefully the sun hasn't damaged the snow surface yet.

Wow... just wow... what a freakin' scene this morning pulling back the bedroom curtains to reveal a stark white mountain that looks caked in snow on the upper 1,000 feet or so.

This is why I live here, lol. May 6th, full, warm sunshine against snow covered mountains. Time to go visit nature's tanning booth... sun reflecting off fresh snow.

Heading up now... a little later than I wanted to, but hopefully the sun hasn't damaged the snow surface yet.

Wow... just wow... what a freakin' scene this morning pulling back the bedroom curtains to reveal a stark white mountain that looks caked in snow on the upper 1,000 feet or so.

This is why I live here, lol. May 6th, full, warm sunshine against snow covered mountains. Time to go visit nature's tanning booth... sun reflecting off fresh snow.

I'll put to together my report and pictures later, but I stopped up to Mansfield for a morning run around 7:00 A.M. - finished off around 8:30 A.M. and at that point the snow was still dry on the upper half of the mountain in areas that were in the sun. That sun was really strong though, I never would have thought I'd need sunscreen at 7:00 A.M., but the sun was already so high in the sky, and combined with huge albedo off that new snow... whoa. Here's the elevation/new snow depth profile I found on the gondola side of Mansfield:

1,600': ~1/4"

2,000': 1-2"

2,500': ~4"

3,000': ~6"

3,600': ~10"

It was a little tough to get the new snow depths because the new stuff was so well integrated onto the old base, but those were my best estimates. It will be interesting to see what you found.

well it's that time of year again...time for the Big Lake Half-Marathon :)

I will be in Alton Bay, NH to sign in and pic up my number and timing chip around 7-730am...gun goes off at 8am...looks to be decent temps for running...i see clouds and showers in the forecast...hoping for no downpours!!!

if any of you are in the area, come on over for the festivities!

I'll put to together my report and pictures later, but I stopped up to Mansfield for a morning run around 7:00 A.M. - finished off around 8:30 A.M. and at that point the snow was still dry on the upper half of the mountain in areas that were in the sun. That sun was really strong though, I never would have thought I'd need sunscreen at 7:00 A.M., but the sun was already so high in the sky, and combined with huge albedo off that new snow... whoa. Here's the elevation/new snow depth profile I found on the gondola side of Mansfield:

1,600': ~1/4"

2,000': 1-2"

2,500': ~4"

3,000': ~6"

3,600': ~10"

It was a little tough to get the new snow depths because the new stuff was so well integrated onto the old base, but those were my best estimates. It will be interesting to see what you found.

Nice, Jay! By 10am when I got up to elevation, I'd say I estimated a bit less snow than that in the Nosedive area... but like you said, it was a bit harder than it was yesterday to tell where the old snow ended and the new snow began. Yesterday there was a much easier visual change between the two layers. However, I'd put accumulations on the upper mountain at anywhere from 4-8" (above Cliff/Nosedive intersection at roughly 2,700ft).

We skied the Bypass Chutes area down to Rim Rock (nothing like tree skiing at the end of the first week of May!) and there's still 5 feet of natural snowpack on the ground in there. The Mansfield Glacier was looking quite robust for this time of year... Greg P. and I are fairly certain there will be June turns somewhere on that mountain unless we go into a 2 week long torch. But anyway, hiking up Rim Rock we were surprised to find the new snow was almost boot deep! When you ski on it you couldn't exactly tell, but start walking in it and you realize that you are sinking quite a bit until you hit the firm surface below.

I'll try to get some pics up later, but it might be tomorrow instead. What a great May ski day... did several laps of the upper mountain in the Nosedive region, got sunburned (wow was that sun intense off the fresh snow), and enjoyed skiing with 10-15 other friends. It seemed like most of the town of Stowe was up there by noon... this town lives and dies by the snowfall on the local hill, and its so much fun seeing everyone come out for some May snow and sun. Last night I was at the Shaws Supermarket in Stowe and everyone was talking about the snow falling up on the mountain... once people saw I had snowpants on, the questions started flying and this morning I saw most of that Shaws crowd up on the hill, haha.

Its always fun living in a place where everyone really, truely loves snow as much as many of the posters on this board.

That little cell my northwest is dishing out exceptionally awesome cloud to ground strokes every 2 minutes or so. Brilliant white, multibranched complex bolts squiggling all over the sky. Wish it were closer so the thunder would be more satisfying than soft rumbles.

I hearing the rumbles from that baby just to my east. Seemed to develop over me with just some sprinkles and is intensifying as it drifts east.

That little cell my northwest is dishing out exceptionally awesome cloud to ground strokes every 2 minutes or so. Brilliant white, multibranched complex bolts squiggling all over the sky. Wish it were closer so the thunder would be more satisfying than soft rumbles.

That RA/TSRA is just quasi-stationary over Center Harbor right now.

Sure is persistent.... figured it'd fizzle soon as the sun set. Thank god it's not a really intense storm or I'd be having a meltdown.

Kind of reminds me of the August 2008 ultrastorm that sat over there for eternity before redeveloping over me.

What day was that?

I can't believe it's still going. I'm hoping it can migrate my way.

Not much to report--nice day yesterday for Green Up (Bud Light in cans is the prefered beer for window chuckers) and a cool morning this morning. Got down to the mid-30s but no frost.

Had just a few passing showers yesterday but nothing more than a trace here. I'd say that we've entered our May dry-spell that we seem to have here every year....

After a sunny start it's turning into another dismal afternoon with 99% cloud coverage and scattered showers popping up. There will probably be some more downpours and storms forming from the Lakes Region down into S NH as the afternoon progresses.

Hit 65.5F an hour ago...down to 63.2F now. At least tomorrow looks mostly sunny.

Awesome shots. I want to move there. Any schools need science teachers?

If you like mountain recreation and snow, there's no better place to live. If you like cities, museums, etc this probably isn't the place for you. But its funny, everyone I know (even my sisters) that "claims" to like having tons of cultural things nearby in a city, never really seems to take advantage of it. I guess you can enjoy "knowing" that you "could" do those things if you really wanted to, but up here I can be in Boston in 3 hours or Montreal in 2 hours if I really feel the urge to go to the city.

Anyway... speaking of school teachers, a large portion of my ski crew are actually high school teachers at area schools. There were 4 of them up there on Friday... they all took personal days to enjoy the May snowfall. It is not uncommon for my group of teachers to take personal days when it is snowing... and then you've also got all the snow days off for powder at the local ski hill (and by local ski hill we aren't talking WaWa, haha).

This snow will be around for a while, and you all are going to have to put up with the pictures until it melts out... now *this* is a weenie pile (25 feet deep, entering the second week of May):

Wow.. Boston is just over two hours from me and Burlington is almost three hours. If you can do BTV to Boston in about three hours, I kind of wonder if your car was made by Boeing. :sun:

Haha, I dunno... all through college at University of Vermont in Burlington I had a girlfriend who lived down near Boston and it was always about a 3 hour ride. It is all interstate though and very easy, you just take I89 south till you hit I93 and take that to Boston. There's like two turns the entire trip.

From here in Stowe, its about the same distance. At 75mph its always come out right around 3 hours, give or take a few minutes. This is why our main tourist base at the ski resort is from the Boston market. That is where we spend the majority of our marketing dollars. It is exceptionally easy to get up here from there.

Disclaimer being that this is on off-hours (non-rush hour) or in the opposite direction of the traffic "rush."

Why would you want to go to Boston? :P

We go a few times per year... Red Sox, Science Museum, Arboretum, etc.

Would much rather head north, or to SRI

I really enjoy Boston a couple times per year for the same reasons you listed. Primarily Red Sox and watching an Omimax movie at the Science Museum. I've always loved the Science Museum since I was a little kid.

Great Spring Day. Thanks Mom (s)

Bike today to Black Hill, the south end of town. 60F but felt cool with a decent N breeze today.

IMG_2403.jpg

20 miles of mostly this. Passed by a truck, pretty light traffic today. New leaves exploding now.

IMG_2404.jpg

Looks like good roofing weather this week.

Nice pics everyone, love the ME pic, be back home in a few weeks, can't wait.

Archived