• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Potential for big event looms large March 28-30

earthlight

HPN soundings on the Euro have surface temps at +1.6 to +1.8 while the majority of the precip is falling. The Euro is typically too warm with surface temps but it will still likely be above freezing there if the Euro is right. So snow is likely on Wednesday night but it will probably have a difficult time accumulating much if the model is right this far out. Let's see what happens.

That's probably most likely scenario but soundings have HPN and north 32 or below while a lot of Precip is falling.

Even city is pretty close 2nd half of storm.

But most likely scenario, based on climo, is just what you said.

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro day 5 storm isnt that far from some snow. Especially for north and west of city.

For city,

Soundings show .55" of Qpf with 850's below most of the time and surface 34-36. Most of the Precip falling 7pm-9am.

North and west is 32 or below at surface.

Thicknesses are colder then last storm. 538-541 the whole time. Last storm had 545 dropping to 539.

That's good because I got over 2" of snow with the last storm. Looks like if it occurs at night it will accumulate everywhere.

When do you think we will start seeing warmer temps, at least over 50?

By next weekend we'll start getting into the lower 50s, with maybe one very warm day in the April 1st-5th period. But for the most part, the pattern looks biased colder than normal through April 10th at least.

unfortunately on the 12Z GFS there is no mid week system for us - since the change was so radical from run to run it is suspect

http://wxweb.meteost...shtml?text=KEWR

Yes, and I'd be very surprised to see two seperate systems pass to our south at this time of year. Tomorrow's wave will bring light snows up to the Mason-Dixon line, and the -NAO block will be in the process of weakening over the next several days. So I find it hard to believe the Wednesday s/w will be as far south as the one tomorrow; most likely the 12z GFS is too far south.

HPN soundings on the Euro have surface temps at +1.6 to +1.8 while the majority of the precip is falling. The Euro is typically too warm with surface temps but it will still likely be above freezing there if the Euro is right. So snow is likely on Wednesday night but it will probably have a difficult time accumulating much if the model is right this far out. Let's see what happens.

I hate to break it to u, but it's not going to snow unless u r in Extreme NW NJ or the poconos with the early April storm. And y would u even show the NOGAPS yesterday...the model is a complete joke. Just bc it did do well with our last event doesn't mean it will happen again. The model is way too inconsistant. The Euro had surface temps in the mid 30's in NW Nj for the April storm. It would be a cold rain. I want snow as much as the next, the set up doesn't look prime at all for snow in our area.

By next weekend we'll start getting into the lower 50s, with maybe one very warm day in the April 1st-5th period. But for the most part, the pattern looks biased colder than normal through April 10th at least.

Actually, I disagree with the very warm day period, imo that will be coming much later on in the month; it doesn't look like an ideal H500 pattern for warmth.

I hate to break it to u, but it's not going to snow unless u r in Extreme NW NJ or the poconos with the early April storm. And y would u even show the NOGAPS yesterday...the model is a complete joke. Just bc it did do well with our last event doesn't mean it will happen again. The model is way too inconsistant. The Euro had surface temps in the mid 30's in NW Nj for the April storm. It would be a cold rain. I want snow as much as the next, the set up doesn't look prime at all for snow in our area.

Storm we are discussing is mid week one. March 30-31.

I generally agree regarding that storm. Our best shot at wintry weather IMO is the mid week 30-31st event,before the polar air moves offshore.

I like the way you put this, but let me put it this way. I forecast 6-10 inches in my area for the last storm several days in advance while the national weather service forecast 1-2 inches and mainly rain. In my back yard I got 9 inches and my area got from 5-11 inches. So, let me break it to you, if you want a forecast for your area, just ask and I will give you one that is pretty darn good.

I like the way you put this, but let me put it this way. I forecast 6-10 inches in my area for the last storm several days in advance while the national weather service forecast 1-2 inches and mainly rain. In my back yard I got 9 inches and my area got from 5-11 inches. So, let me break it to you, if you want a forecast for your area, just ask and I will give you one that is pretty darn good.

Yeah you stole all the banding that was supposed to hit me as I enjoyed my .25" QPF with a temperature of 29F in late March...Thanks! devilsmiley.gif

The 12z ECM ENS show a 980s coastal off NJ with -4C 850s, how can he honestly say that's not snow for NE NJ?

Yes, I agree. What I did not like was the arrogant nature of the post but anyway, the latest run of the GFS actually supports snow even into NYC during the afternoon and evening on Wednesday. Should be some accumulation in Northern NJ according to latest run of the GFS and soundings.

Yeah you stole all the banding that was supposed to hit me as I enjoyed my .25" QPF with a temperature of 29F in late March...Thanks! devilsmiley.gif

The 12z ECM ENS show a 980s coastal off NJ with -4C 850s, how can he honestly say that's not snow for NE NJ?

How about the UKMET and Canadain? No one posted the 850's and surface temps for the Canadian either, which seem to support snow. The UKMET also seems to be a massive snow storm for some. Of course maybe it is just me seeing this, just like my forecast of 6-10 inches for the last storm that everyone chastised me for.

Archived