• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Potential for big event looms large March 28-30

earthlight

I agree it does not seem good in this area, but I am just wondering if it just seems that way to us? Maybe it does not do as well with the low pressure centers with individual storms that we pay most attention to, but it does better when we are not paying as much attention with less important storms? Or maybe it does better in Europe. I don't know. Thank you for your input on this.

Here's an interesting point too. Do I really care how well a model does with the placement of a high pressure center when we have fair weather? I care a lot more how that model does when it matters.

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep in mind, those charts are hemispheric. If anyone actually thinks the UKMET is the 2nd best model in this area, they have never made an actual forecast.

Exactly, the UKMET may have good hemispheric verification scores, but it seems to do poorly with northeast storms...especially during the winter.

I remember it was one of the last to catch on to the 12/26 blizzard

12 Z GFS is nowhere even close to the progression of what the 00z ECM was last night..

12 Z takes a piece of energy from around ARK @ 108 and turns that into the low pressure that ends up off the coast at 144..

Where as the ECM had a system coming up from the Southeast and along the coast...

Too many pieces of energy for the GFS to handle...though not believing the ECM hook line and sinker...

Do feel there will be a big ticket type event.....

The GFS mean ensemble continues to re-develop the low over Kentucky and Tennessee near Hatteras, then deepens it as it moves it up off the coast to a point east of the Benchmark. It throws back decent precip throughout our area with 850's of at least -2 the entire time for everyone. By the way, the mean also hits us pretty good on Wednesday.

The GFS mean ensemble continues to re-develop the low over Kentucky and Tennessee near Hatteras, then deepens it as it moves it up off the coast to a point east of the Benchmark. It throws back decent precip throughout our area with 850's of at least -2 the entire time for everyone. By the way, the mean also hits us pretty good on Wednesday.

-2 850's are too warm for all snow in April chances are the boundary layers will have parts greater then 0 meaning a mix or even rain with an 850 of -2

Archived