• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Potential for big event looms large March 28-30

earthlight

The last paragraph of today's HPC discussion.

THE VAST ARRAY OF SOLUTIONS BY OPERATIONAL MODEL LOWER FORECAST

CONFIDENCE AND A CONTINUATION OF THE SOLUTIONS FROM THIS MORNING

REMAIN IN ORDER. ALL INDICATION AT THIS TIME POINTS TO AN

INCREASING POSSIBILITY OF VERY SIGNIFICANT WEATHER SYSTEM

DEVELOPMENT ALONG THE GULF COAST AND SOUTHEASTERN SEABOARD AND MID

ATLC COAST LATE NEXT WEEK AND WEEKEND WITH THE POTENTIAL

INGREDIENTS FOR SIGNIFICANT COASTAL IMPACTS AND A LATE SEASON

WINTER WEATHER THREAT.

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the way, I use ALL models to make a forecast. That is what a good forecaster does. What is interesting to me and to HPC and Joe Bastardi at this point is that EVERY model, GFS, ECMWF, NOGAPS, Canadian, UKMET, has at one time or other over the past several days shown an intense coastal storm during that Friday time-frame. That is the important thing. In this type of a situation you can't hug any one model, because so far there has not been one model to hug, but to throw out completely any one model and never look at it is probably not a very good idea.

I hate to break it to u, but it's not going to snow unless u r in Extreme NW NJ or the poconos with the early April storm. And y would u even show the NOGAPS yesterday...the model is a complete joke. Just bc it did do well with our last event doesn't mean it will happen again. The model is way too inconsistant. The Euro had surface temps in the mid 30's in NW Nj for the April storm. It would be a cold rain. I want snow as much as the next, the set up doesn't look prime at all for snow in our area.

I know but it is still a good read. He has some good information there. If you look at the Canadian in combination with the UKMET, and the ensembles of the GFS and ECMWF, it gives you a pretty good idea that something may be up next Friday.

There is no doubt that there is a signal there. The problem with getting snow this time of year is ten-fold, you can go on and on. But this is definitely a more supportive pattern for it than you "average" upper air setup. The problem with a big phase being advertised by the models is that the low level warm air would definitely get entrained into the system given the lack of a blocking high. So getting a big snow event is likely a long shot.

Obviously if you're 750 feet above sea level it's a bit easier, but if you look away from the snow potential, there's definitely some ingredients there for a bigger storm with some impact on our area. That's really all we can say at this point.

Agreed. Not really going overboard here for snow potential, of course that would be very interesting, but the idea of big storm is still interesting.

There is no doubt that there is a signal there. The problem with getting snow this time of year is ten-fold, you can go on and on. But this is definitely a more supportive pattern for it than you "average" upper air setup. The problem with a big phase being advertised by the models is that the low level warm air would definitely get entrained into the system given the lack of a blocking high. So getting a big snow event is likely a long shot.

Obviously if you're 750 feet above sea level it's a bit easier, but if you look away from the snow potential, there's definitely some ingredients there for a bigger storm with some impact on our area. That's really all we can say at this point.

By the way, I use ALL models to make a forecast. That is what a good forecaster does. What is interesting to me and to HPC and Joe Bastardi at this point is that EVERY model, GFS, ECMWF, NOGAPS, Canadian, UKMET, has at one time or other over the past several days shown an intense coastal storm during that Friday time-frame. That is the important thing. In this type of a situation you can't hug any one model, because so far there has not been one model to hug, but to throw out completely any one model and never look at it is probably not a very good idea.

The same thing happened with the models leading up to the Boxing Day 2010 Blizzard :snowman:

21z SREF's were nice...surprised how little talk there is

/quote]

I've been watching the March 30th threat very carefully; I think it's a much better shot for snow here than the 4/2 storm, which occurs with a fading cold airmass and largely cut off from the polar jet. People are getting too caught up in the big cut-off and not thinking about the potential for a Miller B Wednesday. 18z GFS, 0z GEFS, 15z SREF, and 0z GGEM all give NYC metro some snow with the 3/30 storm, which originally looked like a SW flow event but has trended south as models shift towards emphasizing the second wave more. This could be a good event as 850s start around -5C and much of the storm may take place in the evening.

Archived