• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Potential for big event looms large March 28-30

earthlight

The models have been having trouble handeling the details of the northern stream S/W's all season. Wouldn't suprise me if at a later point the models started to show more phasing over the SE. If it phases too quickly though, it might get tuggued well west of us. It's too bad that our PV is moving out already by day 5 or 6.

yea, with the blocking leaving we dont want to phase too much. lol. no enough and its OTS. thread the needle, bla bla bla....i know but if theres a chance im tracking it.

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well hasn't the seasonal trends for the models been underamplifying until it gets closer to the event? Correct me if I'm wrong but the boxing day storm the models didn't get it right until 24 hours till the event, granted this set up is very different but id def take that into account as well as of now

yea. just too bad the blocking didnt come back earlier this month.....all the flooding rains we had, oh boyeee...

When you have that large and that persistant of a snow pack it doesn't take much to induce flooding. Were lucky that the rain didn't fall while the snow pack was still in tact and that there was enough of a seperation between the first two events that most of the rivers had enough time to drop below flood stage in between. I remember walking on the grass as the rain was coming down during the second event as we were beginning to evacuate people, the ground was so saturated I nearly sank into someones front yard.

Well hasn't the seasonal trends for the models been underamplifying until it gets closer to the event? Correct me if I'm wrong but the boxing day storm the models didn't get it right until 24 hours till the event, granted this set up is very different but id def take that into account as well as of now

If I remember correctly, the models had a very difficult time with the ejecting S/W out of the SW and the strength of the northern stream energy dropping in. Once it became clear that it was going to phase over the Gulf we were in business. When you don't have great blocking though, you need alot more to go right for you in order to get snow, especially after March 1st.

Our problem is that even if we do get a monster Noreaster out of this, were talking about needing the perfect combo of everything falling into place to receive snow, and even at that with no block its going to be a fast mover.

I've never seen so many hardcore snow lovers turn into snow haters after a few days in the 60's and 70's that we knew weren't going to last.

I can proudly say I am not one of those people and never have been and never will be. If the pattern is a set up that supports snow, I don't care if it is mid-July, I am all for snow.:thumbsup:

I would think late Mar/April Archambault events would be more favorable for inland areas climatologically, because the NAO trending toward neutral tends to weaken confluence and associated sfc highs.

Also, when considering late Mar/April Archambault events where there is an amplifying ridge in the western US, one has to remember that with wavelengths shortening, the mean trough ends up further west than it would be earlier in the winter.

A late March/April setup that has E. Canada/Greenland blocking remaining, with NAO values steady or decreasing (e.g. Mar 21-22, 1967; Mar 19-21, 1958; Apr 6, 1982) would be more favorable for significant snowfall in coastal areas.

And yet the first ten days of April are well known for wintry events in these parts-- as a matter of fact, the first ten days of April are more likely to see snow than the last ten days of November. Because the SST are still very cold and if we get the right track and enough cold air it will snow.

It looks better for inland areas at this point due both to climatology and the 500mb low closing off too early/inland for the I-95 corridor. It could be a huge storm though, Archembault type event with the NAO block blowing up. Interestingly, I'm going to be driving to Chicago for a fellowship interview next Thursday or Friday so I may get to see some fun times on the road.

Also interesting is that both the GFS/ECM build a big -EPO block in the longer range with hints of the NAO blocking returning around April 5th, the time frame HM mentioned for a massive Nor'easter to close out the winter season. There's definitely still multiple threats to be tracked for snow, plenty of cold shots to come....what a way to close out the best winter I have ever experienced, Winter 10-11. Thanks mother nature for the great show, may it continue...hotdog.gif

EDIT: Looks like the low is around 985mb on the Euro. Probably a monster hit for MI/IN and perhaps Chicago. 850s under the ULL are near -6C so there is definitely some snow involved. Looks like great dynamics with a closed H5 low. Just need to get it to the coast.

Sounds good for the last legit period we have for big snows around here.... which is April 5-10 :snowman::thumbsup:

there is another weaker system on the 30th.. much of the QPF on that one slides just south of us.. temps are a little warm anyways... would probably be rain.

Soundings actually show about .32" of Qpf for NYC. But surface is warm, as u said.

0z GFS much closer to a phase with the big April 1st storm...it's a closed 546dm low over Alabama, looks very potent, and does brush the area this time. The only problem is going to be boundary layer warming from the low pressure tracking through Eastern Canada; we'd need to see some great dynamics from this Nor'easter if we are to expect snow this late in the season. Here's 180, close call:

Euro day 5 storm isnt that far from some snow. Especially for north and west of city.

For city,

Soundings show .55" of Qpf with 850's below most of the time and surface 34-36. Most of the Precip falling 7pm-9am.

North and west is 32 or below at surface.

Thicknesses are colder then last storm. 538-541 the whole time. Last storm had 545 dropping to 539.

To me, the Euro soundings show the precip starting as rain in Northwest NJ, but changing to snow as the sun starts to set and precipitation intensity picks up on Wednesday evening, continuing into Thursday morning when it may change back to rain before ending as the sun comes up. Looks like a typical NW NJ elevation and evening event. Could be 3-6 inches the way I see it for the typical NW NJ locations. Could be 1-2 inches in eastern sections of Northern New Jersey without elevation. That is the way I see it right now. Surface temps will just be too warm in eastern sections closer to the city even though snow is possible there, it may be too warm to accumulate much.

Euro day 5 storm isnt that far from some snow. Especially for north and west of city.

For city,

Soundings show .55" of Qpf with 850's below most of the time and surface 34-36. Most of the Precip falling 7pm-9am.

North and west is 32 or below at surface.

Thicknesses are colder then last storm. 538-541 the whole time. Last storm had 545 dropping to 539.

To me, the Euro soundings show the precip starting as rain in Northwest NJ, but changing to snow as the sun starts to set and precipitation intensity picks up on Wednesday evening, continuing in Thursday morning when it may change back to rain before ending as the sun comes up. Looks like a typical NW NJ elevation and evening event. Could be 3-6 inches the way I see it for the typical NW NJ locations. Could be 1-2 inches in eastern sections of Northern New Jersey without elevation. That is the way I see it right now. Surface temps will just be too warm in eastern sections closer to the city even though snow is possible there, it may be too warm to accumulate much.

That's probably most likely scenario but soundings have HPN and north 32 or below while a lot of Precip is falling.

Even city is pretty close 2nd half of storm.

But most likely scenario, based on climo, is just what you said.

Archived