• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March 26th-28th winter storm potential

Thundersnow12

models have been flipping back and forth with the GFS most consistent in having the storm where the 12z GEM/Euro were weaker/south/suppressed. going from southern MO to NC.

0z GFS looks quite interesting with nice looking baroclinic zone and strong sfc low.

lets see if I have the magic for one more (even though I would most likely be in the warm sector chasing this one lol) +SN on the cold side with tornadoes on the warm side :)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been watching this one for the past couple days. With the surface high to the north and flat looking isobars, the 00z GFS would suggest icing potential here. Sort of hard to get excited about ice in late March 6 days out though.

Why would you get excited about ice? lol give me SN, PL, or RA before that, if its gong to be a good amount that is.

also looks like a dry ENE flow off the lake on this run and you can see that showing up in the QPF plots at 150/156hr. still days away though to get into specifics.

Why would you get excited about ice? lol give me SN, PL, or RA before that, if its gong to be a good amount that is.

also looks like a dry ENE flow off the lake on this run and you can see that showing up in the QPF plots at 150/156hr. still days away though to get into specifics.

I'd rather have ice than cold rain as long as it doesn't get too crazy. And I'll pass on sleet after the Groundhog storm.

Long way out but had to post this warm layer from hell on the LAF sounding.

post-14-0-11028000-1300683945.gif

good lord...8 degrees or so at 800mb, and your not just hovering at 31 or so at the sfc either..

Yeah, impressive. If this general setup holds then there should be a band of ice somewhere...question is where. 00z GGEM takes the surface low into southern IL and then has a monster trough ejecting onto the Plains at day 10.

Yeah, impressive. If this general setup holds then there should be a band of ice somewhere...question is where. 00z GGEM takes the surface low into southern IL and then has a monster trough ejecting onto the Plains at day 10.

Obviously day 10 but that one has major severe weather outbreak written all over it.

DVN

FRIDAY THROUGH SUNDAY...CONTINUING THE THOUGHTS FROM LATE THU

NIGHT...THE 00Z RUN MEDIUM RANGE MODELS ARE VARYING ON HOW FAR NORTH

OR SOUTH A SOUTHERN STREAM SYSTEM CAN PROPAGATE AND POTENTIALLY

IMPACT THE DVN CWA WITH RAIN OR SNOW/OR BOTH ON FRI AND INTO FRI

EVENING. THE NEW 00Z RUN ECMWF HAS TRENDED FURTHER SOUTH WITH THE

MAIN SFC LOW PROPAGATION PATH ACRS THE AR/MO BORDER AND WOULD ONLY

MEAN LIGHT SNOW IN THE MORNING OR RAIN/SNOW MIX IN THE AFTERNOON ACRS

THE SOUTHERN THIRD OF THE DVN CWA AND NOT MUCH OF AN IMPACT. THIS IN

CONTRAST TO THE FURTHER NORTH 00Z GFS OVER CENTRAL MO AND UPPER

WAVE PLACEMENT EVEN FURTHER NORTH...WHICH COULD MEAN 2-4 INCHES OF

WET SNOW ACCUMULATIONS ACRS PORTIONS OF THE CWA ON GRASSY AND

ELEVATED SFC/S. FOR NOW WITH SUCH DISCREPANCIES...WILL KEEP LOW TO

MODERATE CHC POPS FOR RAIN OR SNOW. THE REST OF THE WEEKEND IS

FILLED WITH MUCH UNCERTAINTY WITH CONTINUING MODEL DISCREPANCIES.

ENSEMBLES AND MEAN FLOW PATTERNS SUGGEST RE-ENFORCING COLD CORE

RIDGING DUMPING DOWN OUT OF CANADA AND ACRS THE UPPER MIDWEST/GRT

LKS SAT AND SUNDAY FOR A MUCH BELOW NORMAL TEMP REGIME. IT/S THEN

A MATTER HOW FAR NORTH THE ACTIVE SOUTHERN STREAM CAN INTERACT

WITH THE SOUTHERN FRINGE OF THE HIGH PRESSURE SYSTEMS FOR ANY

OVERRUNNING PRECIP EVENTS THAT MAY SPREAD FAR ENOUGH NORTH TO

IMPACT THE FCST AREA WITH RAIN OR SNOW. THE 00Z RUN HAS A MAJOR

CYCLONE THAT PLOWS IT/S WAY ACRS ALONG AND SOUTH OF THE REGION FOR

A SIGNIFICANT PRECIP EVENT LOCALLY SAT AND SAT NIGHT WITH

POTENTIALLY ADVISORY OR EVEN WINTER STORM WARNING CRITERIA SNOWS

IN THE NORTH. THIS IN CONTRAST TO THE NEW EURO WHICH IS MAINLY DRY

BUT COLD THROUGH SUNDAY NIGHT. FOR NOW MAY PAINT PART OF THE

WEEKEND WITH LOW CHC POPS FOR BOTH RAIN AND SNOW...AND ADVERTISE

BELOW NORMAL TEMPS WITH HIGHS IN THE 30S TO LOWER 40S...AND

OVERNIGHT LOWS IN THE 20S. ..12..

I wanna hit 70" here.....lol even after a snowy winter, we all cant stop when something is on the table. :snowman:

No doubt. I'll take snow anytime...though I suppose I'm in the minority. Still, we need just one lousy inch here to get to 50" for the season. Hoosier's grade of this winter depends on it...

No doubt. I'll take snow anytime...though I suppose I'm in the minority. Still, we need just one lousy inch here to get to 50" for the season. Hoosier's grade of this winter depends on it...

Oh, Im the same way here :-). Need 1.9" to hit 70" imby, at DTW need 2.5" to hit it, although just 1.6" would move us to 5th place officially. Regardless my grade is an A+ due to all things considered, but if we were in a warm pattern id say "it was a great winter, bring on spring" but you give me a cold pattern like this and my snow fiend returns full throttle.

Shhhh! Can we please just move on from the snow???!?!?

:axe:

Ok, ok, I will be fine with an inch or two.. But NO MORE! :lol:

Shhhh! Can we please just move on from the snow???!?!?

:axe:

Ok, ok, I will be fine with an inch or two.. But NO MORE! :lol:

Embrace it. Love it. :devilsmiley:

Really though, if it's going to snow again at least let it be something meaningful. Not like it'll stick around long anyway...

You know our late March snow climo...not very good but we don't need much. NAM is pretty cold at 84 hours (-5C at 850 mb) which I like to see at this time of year.

You know our late March snow climo...not very good but we don't need much. NAM is pretty cold at 84 hours (-5C at 850 mb) which I like to see at this time of year.

Yep it isn't good, but it we've had a few decent ones in the past.

Agreed on the cold look on the NAM...and other models for that matter. Other details TBD obviously.

Archived