Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
The infamous SNE lawn thread

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also can anyone help me identify this grass?

That's bunch grass - most likely 'orchard grass'. It pulls out easily - shallow roots - and grows in circular patches (hence, 'bunch' grass).

It can't be controlled with readily used treatments, as they affect the lawn grasses too. I spent 2 days going around the yard pulling it out by hand, filled two wheelbarrows - the stuff really took off this spring in my yard and I was sick of looking at it. Threw some organic soil/compost down where it had been, seeded heavily, in late september. All the warm muggy days helped out, seed sprouted fast and now you can't tell where those circles of bunch grass were.

ok... I just cruised around my yard looking at various shrubs, etc... and I just noticed that I have some very confused forsythia. It's starting to bloom!?

I've seen rhododendron and azaleas do that, but never forsythia. wtf?

I have seen forsythia bloom in January back in 06-07 or winter of 07-08 , actually have seen it bloom twice this decade in warm winters, not a shock at all. I took a pic a couple weeks ago of some cosmos blooming on the side of my house, well its absolutely erupted in this torch, looking around right now it feels and looks like early September......its unbelievable. Just took this as I am waiting a large delivery of wood, MRG told me cold winter incoming so I am stocking up :thumbsup::snowman:

ok... I just cruised around my yard looking at various shrubs, etc... and I just noticed that I have some very confused forsythia. It's starting to bloom!?

I've seen rhododendron and azaleas do that, but never forsythia. wtf?

ha ha, just found some here too...........endless summer :arrowhead:

Lawn not growing as much. Fall really taking hold now. Few things left to do this year. One last fertilization of the lawn. Also I think I'll put down one more aerated compost tea batch. Mulch leaves and needles into the lawn. I've cleaned up tthe damaged areas of my lawn that were affected by grubs. Hoping not too bad as the idea with milky spore disease is to have the grubs die from that and add the spores back into the soil as they die, repeating the cycle. So far it only looks like a few hundred sf of area affected. Other than that nothing more to do. Spending the day cleaning the hot tub. Takes a while sine it needed to be drained, cleaned, filled, disinfected, drained, cleaned, filled, and than set up for normal use. I should have this done by tomorrow. Huge pain in the ass. Learning curve ftl as I go along.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like this will be the weekend to put down my final fertilization.

Decided to hold off since it looks warm for the next couple weeks or so. Maples/Birchs are just about done dropping their leaves but the Oaks still have a looooong way to go. Acorn crop not as big this year. Could present problems with wildlife down the road that rely on them as a food source.

Decided to hold off since it looks warm for the next couple weeks or so. Maples/Birchs are just about done dropping their leaves but the Oaks still have a looooong way to go. Acorn crop not as big this year. Could present problems with wildlife down the road that rely on them as a food source.

My lawn is kelly green, with this warmth forecast, looks like I will be cutting properties at least one more time, pretty close to Tday, incredible.

With the virtual explosion of chipmunks, squirrels,mice, moles it will be a very good year for the predators, hawks, eagles, fisher cat, coyotes,owls. Thats how the circle of life works.

Don't agree..He just mulched up millions of cubic yds of freshly fallen highly acidic leaves into his lawn

And as those leaves break down he'll be fine. My Old Man started mulching leaves 28 years ago and he does not have acidic soil. That's the longest sample size that I know of personally. Wait though, he did use lime...once...back in 1988.

• 2 months later...

Well this beautiful weather and thaw, (not really a thaw) have allowed me complete all tilling of gardens. I added more leaves and grass clippings from the covered cp by the shed. Idealy, we would get some snow cover in Feb, as it insulates the ground and protects my perennial gardens from multiple harsh freezes. One more major tilling in March then plant the early season veggies, cant wait time is flying by!!

• 1 month later...

I have a Deere L110, 42" bought in 2004. I love it. I have it tuned every year. Bought my mother a larger (mow deck and HP) one 10 years ago (can't remember which model) and it runs great as well. they both run like the 1st day i bought them.

Only complaint I have with both them is battery life. Also i ran into problems because (i am told) i used regular gas - mine would stall out with a full tank. Been fixed since

I have a Deere L110, 42" bought in 2004. I love it. I have it tuned every year. Bought my mother a larger (mow deck and HP) one 10 years ago (can't remember which model) and it runs great as well. they both run like the 1st day i bought them.

Only complaint I have with both them is battery life. Also i ran into problems because (i am told) i used regular gas - mine would stall out with a full tank. Been fixed since

Thanks--battery life is one of the issues I currently have, too.

Archived