• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
The infamous SNE lawn thread

Damage In Tolland

I really have not done a whole lot. I started off the season completely ignorant to the organic solutions out there, so the stuff I put down earlier in the season I will probably not use again.

1. Compost Teas staring in late June if I recall. I can give you a run down of the supplies I bought for this. I've been applying ~5 gallons / month to my lawn. The idea is to add micro organisms back into your soil.

2. Starting late August I put down 100# of Corn Gluten Meal (CGM) along with 45lbs of Pelletized Calcium (Mag-I-Cal by Jonathan Green is what I used)

3. Mulch mowing with blades raised. Mulching adds the clippings right back into the soil to be broken down as compost. I've always done this.

4. Something new I've just found about. I added 50lbs of Dehydrated Alfalfa Pellets by hand to my lawn. Reading up on this stuff was eye opening. Great natural healthy fertilizer/soil amendment. I actually just added a second 5-# bag this past weekend it was so cheap. $20 a bag at any local grain/feed store.

5. Milky Spore - I have done one years worth of applications. It's a naturally occurring bacteria that kills grubs. 2 years in row of applications and it should "inoculate" my soil for the next decade. Well worth the upfront cost if you ask me.

6. To end the season I will be doing one last round of fertilizer Jonathan Green Organic Fertilizer 8-3-1 plus another bag of Mag-I-Cal 22.5#

Some resources I use. There are many out there.

http://faq.gardenweb...0829016580.html

http://forums.garden...forums/orglawn/

Products I use.

http://www.jonathang...cfm/category/2/

http://www.alfagreen...fertilizer2.htm

So far that is all. I think starting in August is when I got a clearer view of where I needed to go. I still need to top-dress and over-seed the lawn to thicken it up and keep the weeds down. If I can get that done next year, i should be well on my way to a beautiful organic lawn. I've also followed Joe's advice.

Have you aerated or dethathched?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really have not done a whole lot. I started off the season completely ignorant to the organic solutions out there, so the stuff I put down earlier in the season I will probably not use again.

1. Compost Teas staring in late June if I recall. I can give you a run down of the supplies I bought for this. I've been applying ~5 gallons / month to my lawn. The idea is to add micro organisms back into your soil.

2. Starting late August I put down 100# of Corn Gluten Meal (CGM) along with 45lbs of Pelletized Calcium (Mag-I-Cal by Jonathan Green is what I used)

3. Mulch mowing with blades raised. Mulching adds the clippings right back into the soil to be broken down as compost. I've always done this.

4. Something new I've just found about. I added 50lbs of Dehydrated Alfalfa Pellets by hand to my lawn. Reading up on this stuff was eye opening. Great natural healthy fertilizer/soil amendment. I actually just added a second 5-# bag this past weekend it was so cheap. $20 a bag at any local grain/feed store.

5. Milky Spore - I have done one years worth of applications. It's a naturally occurring bacteria that kills grubs. 2 years in row of applications and it should "inoculate" my soil for the next decade. Well worth the upfront cost if you ask me.

6. To end the season I will be doing one last round of fertilizer Jonathan Green Organic Fertilizer 8-3-1 plus another bag of Mag-I-Cal 22.5#

Some resources I use. There are many out there.

http://faq.gardenweb...0829016580.html

http://forums.garden...forums/orglawn/

Products I use.

http://www.jonathang...cfm/category/2/

http://www.alfagreen...fertilizer2.htm

So far that is all. I think starting in August is when I got a clearer view of where I needed to go. I still need to top-dress and over-seed the lawn to thicken it up and keep the weeds down. If I can get that done next year, i should be well on my way to a beautiful organic lawn. I've also followed Joe's advice.

Hey thanks man. Good to know for the future, once I have my own yard to maintain.

Bob, could you briefly go over the steps that you did? I wouldn't mind giving my Dad a few tips as he had some similar problems you did. I know you did a bunch of things to it, but if you could give a run down..that would be great. Thanks.

Does he know about the wondrous product Lesco? I can give him some details and eliminate all the issues those with orgaic lawns have..And do it in about 95% less time than it takes tem

Does he know about the wondrous product Lesco? I can give him some details and eliminate all the issues those with orgaic lawns have..And do it in about 95% less time than it takes tem

The thing is, there is enough crap going into water supplies and ponds with septic systems. I'm not a tree hugger, but it is a problem. My Dad probably wouldn't go through the compost tea as the yard is massive, but the other stuff that Bob suggested may help. Maybe he'll give in and do Lesco...lol.

The thing is, there is enough crap going into water supplies and ponds with septic systems. I'm not a tree hugger, but it is a problem. My Dad probably wouldn't go through the compost tea as the yard is massive, but the other stuff that Bob suggested may help. Maybe he'll give in and do Lesco...lol.

Oh dear God

Fight the powers that be.;)

I am not spending any more money than I would be on a normal chemical program. The bagged organic fertilizers run about ~$30-35 per 50# bag and generally cover 5000sf. The Pelletized Lime came in 22.5# bags and was~ $20. The Alfalfa Pellets are ~$20 /50# bag.

I have nothing against the Lesco line. I just want to do something for myself all the while benefiting the world around me. To each his own.

This...

Because all that sh*t goes into waterbodies. It's like HGH to plant life in the ponds. Ponds are then taken over by all this plant life which takes up oxygen and kills fish. I'd fertilize my yard if I could too....just saying that those phosphates aren't the best.

We will likely see inorganic phosphorus be banned from fertilizers. The stuff is already banned in some locations from dishwasher detergent.

Anyone have a sense of how much more it costs to have your leaves carted away than just having them moved into the woods? Last year, the folks I had stashed htem in the woods (paid $300 for it). Since I'm trying to clear some of that out, I'm hoping to get them carted away this year instead.

Mulch them and put them right back into the soil.;)

It's an awful lot of leaves. I think I have about 2 acres of lawn and I'm estimating about 30 trees are either entirely or partially dropping leaves there.

Dont you have a mulcher on your mower? if not take half away, mulch the rest, they will decompose quickly and its as good as fertilizer. NEver ever blow the leaves into the woods, sure fire way to kill the trees on the edge of the property, they suffocate the roots, happens all the time now with the migrant workers who just blow the leaves to the edge of the property year after year

Dont you have a mulcher on your mower? if not take half away, mulch the rest, they will decompose quickly and its as good as fertilizer. NEver ever blow the leaves into the woods, sure fire way to kill the trees on the edge of the property, they suffocate the roots, happens all the time now with the migrant workers who just blow the leaves to the edge of the property year after year

2 acres is a lot.

It's just a suggestion on my part. I'm able to mulch my leaves. I only have about 6-7k sf.

Isn't the mower by itsel fthe mulcher? :)

We've mowed some of them the last couple of years, but last year we paid for someone to clear them.

As far as killing the trees along the edges of the lawn areas, I'm trying to thin them out to convert more of the area to lawn as the woods themselves are overgrown. Maybe that will save me a few cuts and accelerate the growth of my wood supply for 2013-2014.

• 2 weeks later...

Grey, humid, warm mid autumn day, the gardens have take a hit, fungal pathogens galore, the yards have some red thread but its hard to remember the lawns being so full and green this time of year, and its fun to cut them short now, down to 2 inches at most properties which makes striping them out easy.

Spent some time outside today assessing problem areas of my lawn. I found copious amount of grubs there. Sort of not surprised given I did not use and instant grub control products. Milky spore takes a couple years to become established in the soil. I will say though that it looked like some were infected with the spore since they had that "milky" appearance, hence the name. I also noticed a lot of worms in the soil in those areas affected. Good to see that. Sign of healthy soil.

So my work is cut out for me next year. I'll have to see what grass makes it through the winter. Beyond the problem areas, the lawn looks healthy. I also planted 8 daylily roots I got from brecks. Good stuff.

Grey, humid, warm mid autumn day, the gardens have take a hit, fungal pathogens galore, the yards have some red thread but its hard to remember the lawns being so full and green this time of year, and its fun to cut them short now, down to 2 inches at most properties which makes striping them out easy.

This time of year, how short should i be cutting my lawn in preparation for winter? grass is still growing

This time of year, how short should i be cutting my lawn in preparation for winter? grass is still growing

Cut the lawn short this time of year, that way you dont have the blades laying over on themselves, avoids fungal pathogens and also winter issues. Two inches is good.

Cut the lawn short this time of year, that way you dont have the blades laying over on themselves, avoids fungal pathogens and also winter issues. Two inches is good.

thanks, i will start cutting it shorter (not all at once since i currently mow at around 3")

Archived