• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
The infamous SNE lawn thread

Damage In Tolland

Does anyone else have all their Oak trees dropping tons of half dead leaves? Must be some kind of fungus from the hot/wet summer

Please. Hot it was not. Did you even hit 85 in August? The Maples here are dropping fast. I mowed yesterday and the lawn is already littered with many new drops.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i've heard that salt water fromTCs damages the leaves , have it down here as well.

Does anyone else have all their Oak trees dropping tons of half dead leaves? Must be some kind of fungus from the hot/wet summer

skimrg , i've posted here before i've had good luck with URI #2 not sure for your area or if its available

http://www.uri.edu/ce/factsheets/sheets/selectturf.html

Back in June, against my better judgement, I overseeded some of my lawn. Fortunately June's cool wet weather helped the seed to get a toehold. I'm about to do another area of the lawn but have yet to buy the seed. I used a Scotts blend last time and was satisfied but it was fairly pricey. Anybody have any suggestions for a quality but less expensive seed?

I'm guessing you're in a pretty shaded area so a shady mix is likely what you'd be looking for. Check out your local Grain/Feed store. They may have some good mixes there.

Spent a good part of the day cleaning out along one side of my property along the tree line. Tiring but it looks good. Now I have some beds where I can transplant some plants. Also the stone for my walkways/patio/hot tub was delivered. Going to spend tomorrow putting down what I can. I still have to get the hot tub moved to prep the area under that.

Spent 1/2 the day yesterday putting doen the crushed pea gravel for the walkway/patio. Looks pretty good.

Please. Hot it was not. Did you even hit 85 in August? The Maples here are dropping fast. I mowed yesterday and the lawn is already littered with many new drops.

I saw a few maples dropping their leaves yesterday like it was no one's busines. They are certainly the exception, but it was nice to see.

Contemplating seeding the final area around the deck today. Concerned about the heavy rains possibly causing a problem. But, it''s under a heavy canopy--will need a good shade mix I think. Also, have mucho wood to still stack.

As to whoever asked whether this was the right thread to post about hawks eating chipmunks, I think we have a separate thread for "hawk-eating chipmiunks". :)

65.5/65

Is this the 'pre-winter' prep? I've never put anything down in the fall, but am considering something.

Yes. a fertilizer always goes down in September to provide one more shot of nitrogen and green up..If you have weeds do something that has an herbicide and ferltilizer..otherwise just fert.

Then you drop the winterizer in mid-late October/early Nov

Yes. a fertilizer always goes down in September to provide one more shot of nitrogen and green up..If you have weeds do something that has an herbicide and ferltilizer..otherwise just fert.

Then you drop the winterizer in mid-late October/early Nov

Not having much time to spend on the lawn and won't be able to do both, which would you think is more important? Sept or late Oct? I'm thinking Sept.....

fwiw, I haven't mowed my lawn (or what passes for a lawn) in about four years. It gets mowed, but not by me.

I haven't read any of the posts in this thread. I'm just gloating. :weight_lift:

Sorry to hear that. I could do that all day--much more satisfying than selling stuff and maintaining client relations. If I had my druthers, I'd be a full-time landscaper of my own place (don't want to do it for others like Joe). Lord knows, I can hardly keep up with just the mowing. Yet, I have about eighty trees to take down over the coming years with subsequent lawn conversion and planting of new, better placed trees. Those that come down need to be cut and split for future years of heating. That which can't needs to be cut to be mulched or burned.

It would keep me occupied for my remaining years.

65.5/65

Sorry to hear that. I could do that all day--much more satisfying than selling stuff and maintaining client relations. If I had my druthers, I'd be a full-time landscaper of my own place (don't want to do it for others like Joe). Lord knows, I can hardly keep up with just the mowing. Yet, I have about eighty trees to take down over the coming years with subsequent lawn conversion and planting of new, better placed trees. Those that come down need to be cut and split for future years of heating. That which can't needs to be cut to be mulched or burned.

It would keep me occupied for my remaining years.

65.5/65

My father lives in the in-law apartment and he needs something to do. I've ceded most of the landscaping duties to him. I don't like everything he does aesthetically, but my wife wants me to bit my tongue and let him do what he wants.

If not for this arrangement, I'd be mowing the weeds as much as the next homeowner.

Not having much time to spend on the lawn and won't be able to do both, which would you think is more important? Sept or late Oct? I'm thinking Sept.....

October. The most important fertilization of the year is the winterizer..whioch gets the nitrogen into the soil for the winter and will provide for an early spring green up

Spent a good part of the day cleaning out along one side of my property along the tree line. Tiring but it looks good. Now I have some beds where I can transplant some plants. Also the stone for my walkways/patio/hot tub was delivered. Going to spend tomorrow putting down what I can. I still have to get the hot tub moved to prep the area under that.

The key to stonework is your base. 4" at a minimum, I go deeper. I usually put in 4" of crushed bank (aggregate road base) and then 2-4" of stone dust/decomposed granite. Water and tamp heavily to get it settled properly. It's a pain, but saves tearing it all out and redoing it the right way later when everything shifts.

A multi year project I've been doing.

58528_1563130114869_1133821413_1619328_7612381_n.jpg

58528_1563130194871_1133821413_1619330_8018818_n.jpg

61654_1563131594906_1133821413_1619332_720432_n.jpg

61654_1563131634907_1133821413_1619333_1321840_n.jpg

61654_1563131674908_1133821413_1619334_6603288_n.jpg

61654_1563131714909_1133821413_1619335_6035077_n.jpg

148243_1684392266347_1133821413_1855602_8197108_n.jpg

The key to stonework is your base. 4" at a minimum, I go deeper. I usually put in 4" of crushed bank (aggregate road base) and then 2-4" of stone dust/decomposed granite. Water and tamp heavily to get it settled properly. It's a pain, but saves tearing it all out and redoing it the right way later when everything shifts.

58528_1563130114869_1133821413_1619328_7612381_n.jpg

58528_1563130194871_1133821413_1619330_8018818_n.jpg

61654_1563131594906_1133821413_1619332_720432_n.jpg

61654_1563131634907_1133821413_1619333_1321840_n.jpg

61654_1563131674908_1133821413_1619334_6603288_n.jpg

61654_1563131714909_1133821413_1619335_6035077_n.jpg

148243_1684392266347_1133821413_1855602_8197108_n.jpg

Looks great!

Nice crib. Do you need to redo your driveway each winter? I'd imagine it gets dug up pretty good?

Don't want to be argumentative but I'll offer another opinion. If you haven't added nutrients in a while, i would suggest putting down an application now (as CTBLIZZ suggested before the upcoming rains), will get the grass growing in the fall when it has the least amount of impediments/competiton from weeds and insects. a winterizer (late Oct/nov) helps get it going in the spring but you will not do much to help the grass grow in the fall especially in your locale. If you want to build a solid base, late summer / early fall is a good time to add nutrients .

I also thatched my lawn this weekend along with adding nutrients

Don't want to be argumentative but I'll offer another opinion. If you haven't added nutrients in a while, i would suggest putting down an application now (as CTBLIZZ suggested before the upcoming rains), will get the grass growing in the fall when it has the least amount of impediments/competiton from weeds and insects. a winterizer (late Oct/nov) helps get it going in the spring but you will not do much to help the grass grow in the fall especially in your locale. If you want to build a solid base, late summer / early fall is a good time to add nutrients .

I also thatched my lawn this weekend along with adding nutrients

Thanks. IT's been growing really well the last two weeks. Kinda want it to stop so I can focus on stacking, lol.

Very nice. Lots of hard work. Looks like a ton of hard work. My area is much smaller that I am doing. I'm not doing any stonework, just laying a small crushed gravel walkway/patio for a hot tub.

All the crushed gravel work is finally done. Time to focus on getting the electrical hooked up followed by plantings around it all.:)

Lawn is also looking the best it has all year. Side and rear look the best. Front not too bad, still lots of thin areas, and the driveway side is still pretty much a disastah, I think the lawn will be my biggest focus next year. I was also able to set up a composting area out of pallets. Still needs a little work, but I should be able to see results by next year. Hoping to see some black gold out of it to use as a soil amendment.

How's everyone elses yards coming.

Overseeding the last two weeks has gone well, obviously the weather has been good, wished it was a bit cooler, but still good. I have only put Sustain slow release organic fertilizer on this property once, in the spring, overseeded it 12 days ago or so. These clients are pure organic, NOTHING synthetic touches there property, I cut at 4 inches, every two weeks and the overseeding has done exactly what its supposed to, its crowded out the weeds. Its a joy to work on this yard, I dont have to worry about oxygen getting to the roots, the earthworms do all the hard work for me, actually pretty proud of this puppy, lots of hard work, but the results are not bad.

Last years leaves, have been covered periodically with grass clippings, the net result being some incredible soil that will be used in the perennial garden next spring.

I wonder if I've missed the boat on seeding the last portion of the area I'm converting to lawn. If I get it down this weekend, I thnk I might be okay. Of course, with the leave drop about to take place, I might waste time and money worrying about it before spring. Thoughts?

Perfect time of year to seed up there, you have 6 weeks easily for germination, and root growth.

Archived