Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
The infamous SNE lawn thread

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you keep compost tea for a while or does it go bad?

I want to try making some

Heavy heavy watering en route

Once it's made "brewed" it needs to be put down within several hours, otherwise it goes anaerobic and is not useful. The information I posted earlier in this thread is pretty helpful in starting up on it.

You'll also need to be able to water it in. I am relying on natural rains since I have city water and its chlorinated which would kill off all the stuff I just created.

Once it's made "brewed" it needs to be put down within several hours, otherwise it goes anaerobic and is not useful. The information I posted earlier in this thread is pretty helpful in starting up on it.

You'll also need to be able to water it in. I am relying on natural rains since I have city water and its chlorinated which would kill off all the stuff I just created.

Tea was nice and frothy this AM. 12 more hours of brew time and I'll put it down. Rains look on track for later today.

I see we look on track for some rains on Mon night into Tuesday so I am going to get a Compost Tea batch ready so I can put it down tomorrow night.

Got the Tea down during the light rains/brief downpour. I think I did a better job this time around with it. They say it should smell a lot like a batch of beer brewing and this had that distinct smell. I will continue to add these compost tea batches monthly till the end of the growing season. Hoping to see some results.

Patio/Hot Tub pad prep work has commenced.

Good progress today. Got about 70% of the grass removed. Just need to move the hot tub and do that area as well but will only do that once I am ready to to put the stone base under it. Laid out the ares I want to be patio and planting beds. I should be able to finish excavation tomorrow. Overall area is about 200 sf.

Great pics bob, and I love how you use the hose to mark out the border, nice flow to it! Very well done, and the grass looks pretty darn good all things considered!

Thanks. I like to lay out where I want things. It's the engineer side of me. My idea is to transplant some o f the plants I already have around the yard. I want to get some screening going around the tub. I have some ornamental grasses that grow like 6 feet tall that I plan on putting there. I also want to put some flowers to dress it up. It's going to take a while but I hope to have this done before the growing season ends. You know I was actually thinking the same thing. The front yard is toast now, since it's sunny about 80% of the day, but the rear and side are pretty good.

Raccoons are squeezing under my mesh fence, which is 5-6' tall and weighed down by rocks, and devouring my garden. I'm very upset because I just lost 4 cauliflower plants and 1 eggplant. Does anyone have any suggestions about scaring them away? Is there a trap or poison that can deter them?

Staple or nail it to the ground? every 6 inches? or scarecrow?

Raccoons are awful... good luck with defeating those monsters.

Several years ago, I planted a nice 8x8 bed of sweet corn. It grew great... I was maybe 3-4 days from picking when one morning I went out there and it was like an F5 tornado hit. Virtually every stalk was broken and stripped bare. Never tried corn again.

Raccoons are squeezing under my mesh fence, which is 5-6' tall and weighed down by rocks, and devouring my garden. I'm very upset because I just lost 4 cauliflower plants and 1 eggplant. Does anyone have any suggestions about scaring them away? Is there a trap or poison that can deter them?

Just shoot them. Oh wait, suburbia. Nevermind.

Carl Spackler knew what to do...

I wish I could...the small animals such as deer and raccoons are incredibly overpopulated due to the absence of larger predators. It's an unnatural ecosystem that both strips forests of their understory and ruins many gardens.

I have never seen a (living) raccoon around here... lots of dead ones. I have seen many deer, a few bears, some coyotes, foxes, etc. Porcupines are everywhere here (as are skunks).

We had a beautiful hawk grab a mouse or something (chipmunk? Blizz?) in our backyard last week while we were in the pool. That was very neat.

Maybe South Dakota can send a few more mountain lions out this way. Plus MPM has his wolves...

Tomatoes are now being picked regularly.

We have been getting cherry tomatoes faster than we can eat them, and our regular tomatoes are in abundance, but not red yet. With our luck, they will all ripen while we are away.

The zucchuni have overwhelmed us, too. Only a few plants produce so many. We still have zucchini bread from last summer in our freezer...

Archived