Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
The infamous SNE lawn thread

Damage In Tolland

Looks nice Joe.

I find it funny how we rib each other about our fertilizer use. It looks like, at least in MA, that Sustane products are only sold through John Deere Landscapes, which ironically, is where Lesco products are sold.

I really need to upload a few shots of my lawn. I really neglected it last year and the results are showing this year. My main focus is still the soil, but I plan on over-seeding next year. I've already figured I'll need between 8-10yds of topsoil/compost to do the lawn and other items around the yard (veg garden, plant beds, etc.)

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if I've missed the boat on seeding the last portion of the area I'm converting to lawn. If I get it down this weekend, I thnk I might be okay. Of course, with the leave drop about to take place, I might waste time and money worrying about it before spring. Thoughts?

I think you'd be safe putting it down still. Soil temps are still warm enough for seed germination.

rented an overseeder and overseeded the lawn last weekend. Any idea on how long I need to wait to mow? I don't want to wait too long so the existing lawn doesn't get too long, but don't want to mow the new seed too soon.

anyone?

It depends upon the seed you put down but I'd wait at least a couple weeks once the seed has germinated. There is nothing wrong with letting your grass grow a little tall.

It depends upon the seed you put down but I'd wait at least a couple weeks once the seed has germinated. There is nothing wrong with letting your grass grow a little tall.

thx. I just noticed some seed starting to pop up. it doesnt help that we have not had a lot of rain since i overseeded. This week will help that.

You need to keep the ground moist so the seed will germinate properly. Try and keep it damp. You also don't want to drown the seed.

How much of an area did you do?

i have over 3 acres of grass. i didnt overseed the whole thing, just the parts visible to neighbors, so about 3/4 acre. there is no way i could have watered the whole thing, I would have emptied my well.

How's the acorn crop in SNE this year? Like last year, they are out of control in NE Ohio. I'm sure the abundance of rainfall has a lot to do with it, but these are the largest acorns I have ever seen. The acorns from my red oak are almost the size of golf balls, and plentiful. Surely a sign of an epic winter on the way for the upper OH valley on up through SNE.

How's the acorn crop in SNE this year? Like last year, they are out of control in NE Ohio. I'm sure the abundance of rainfall has a lot to do with it, but these are the largest acorns I have ever seen. The acorns from my red oak are almost the size of golf balls, and plentiful. Surely a sign of an epic winter on the way for the upper OH valley on up through SNE.

Not bad at all. We got crushed the loast 2 yrs...but this yr there are very few compared to the last few. It's a Godsend

I've noticed a lot of acorns as well as squirrels.

The squirrel population is insane, they are friggin everywhere, probably from the overabundance of acorns the last 3 years. This years acorns were not as much as the last 2 but still significant. Last year I was shoveling acorns, this year Irene took care of that.

Thanks for the acorn feedback. Sounds like everyone had it bad the past few years.

The worst part is that I have to rake the yard before cutting. The weight of the acorns is too much... the mower won't even suck them up. If it wasn't for the shade the oaks provide, I cut the fooking things down. My yard is a disaster underneath them. Grass is sparse. Yard is muddy. Squirrels are everywhere. Where grass does grow the it looks like a mine field from the squirels digging and so on.

Anyway, best of luck to all this coming winter.

i had to mow yesterday, it was getting really tall. the new seed is coming in awesome.

this is the first time i have overseeded in the fall, glad i did it when i did

WOW Bob, your place looks awesome! It has really healed nicely, nice dark green, keep up the good work and congrats!

Thanks Joe. I'm a convert after what I have seen. I'll do a 4 step organic program with Pelletized Calcium in the Spring and Fall along with a couple rounds of Alfalfa. I will still need to top dress and overseed to complete the job but I am thoroughly pleased with the results too. The lawn really came to life in late August and its now growing at a rate where I could cut it twice a week. Insane considering I was going 3 weeks in May/June.

Thanks Joe. I'm a convert after what I have seen. I'll do a 4 step organic program with Pelletized Calcium in the Spring and Fall along with a couple rounds of Alfalfa. I will still need to top dress and overseed to complete the job but I am thoroughly pleased with the results too. The lawn really came to life in late August and its now growing at a rate where I could cut it twice a week. Insane considering I was going 3 weeks in May/June.

You have done a great job Bob, try a nice verti~cut/overseed next September. Congrats, all your hard work has paid off ten fold.

By the way, dont be afraid to do an overseed/thatch in early April, a week or two before fertilitzing :thumbsup: I overseed my properties twice a year, I have been very happy with the results.

The much anticipated, unimpressive shots of my work in progress. The first 3 shots are from the better side of the yard that sees more shade. The last 2 are from the side of the yard that took a beating last year from the heat and dry conditions plus the few months we had a dog. Just brutal lawn. Not winning any awards. Also you can see the raised planting bed that I assembled. Loooooong way to go.

Wow, what a difference!

By the way, dont be afraid to do an overseed/thatch in early April, a week or two before fertilitzing :thumbsup: I overseed my properties twice a year, I have been very happy with the results.

Thanks. I have to see about that. I've been reading mixed signals on that.

I have definitely come a long way this season from a results standpoint but also in the education department. Lots of reading has shown me that the true organic way is through your soil and it you have that addressed your grass will grow lush and green with minimal effort.

Thanks. I have to see about that. I've been reading mixed signals on that.

I have definitely come a long way this season from a results standpoint but also in the education department. Lots of reading has shown me that the true organic way is through your soil and it you have that addressed your grass will grow lush and green with minimal effort.

Soil is everything, root respiration, nitrogen, earthworms that aid in natural respiration and breaking down crass clippings and leaves another form of mother natures fertilization. Its a fine line Bob, too much grass can really hurt the lawn during wet times and cold snowy winters(can lead to fungal pathogens as the grass lies down, as well as overcrowding). I do light overseedings in spring and hope for around a 30% germination, I am happy with 50% in the fall, estatic actually unless you are verticutting

Soil is everything, root respiration, nitrogen, earthworms that aid in natural respiration and breaking down crass clippings and leaves another form of mother natures fertilization. Its a fine line Bob, too much grass can really hurt the lawn during wet times and cold snowy winters(can lead to fungal pathogens as the grass lies down, as well as overcrowding). I do light overseedings in spring and hope for around a 30% germination, I am happy with 50% in the fall, estatic actually unless you are verticutting

Really noticed the earthworms while cleaning up the damage from Irene on the fairways at the golf course. We already have grass sprouting after being reseeded a week and a half ago. They are also aerated twice a year and vericut.

Bob, could you briefly go over the steps that you did? I wouldn't mind giving my Dad a few tips as he had some similar problems you did. I know you did a bunch of things to it, but if you could give a run down..that would be great. Thanks.

I really have not done a whole lot. I started off the season completely ignorant to the organic solutions out there, so the stuff I put down earlier in the season I will probably not use again.

1. Compost Teas staring in late June if I recall. I can give you a run down of the supplies I bought for this. I've been applying ~5 gallons / month to my lawn. The idea is to add micro organisms back into your soil.

2. Starting late August I put down 100# of Corn Gluten Meal (CGM) along with 45lbs of Pelletized Calcium (Mag-I-Cal by Jonathan Green is what I used)

3. Mulch mowing with blades raised. Mulching adds the clippings right back into the soil to be broken down as compost. I've always done this.

4. Something new I've just found about. I added 50lbs of Dehydrated Alfalfa Pellets by hand to my lawn. Reading up on this stuff was eye opening. Great natural healthy fertilizer/soil amendment. I actually just added a second 5-# bag this past weekend it was so cheap. $20 a bag at any local grain/feed store.

5. Milky Spore - I have done one years worth of applications. It's a naturally occurring bacteria that kills grubs. 2 years in row of applications and it should "inoculate" my soil for the next decade. Well worth the upfront cost if you ask me.

6. To end the season I will be doing one last round of fertilizer Jonathan Green Organic Fertilizer 8-3-1 plus another bag of Mag-I-Cal 22.5#

Some resources I use. There are many out there.

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/organic/2004020829016580.html

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/orglawn/

Products I use.

http://www.jonathangreen.com/index.cfm/category/2/

http://www.alfagreensupreme.com/pages/fertilizer2.htm

So far that is all. I think starting in August is when I got a clearer view of where I needed to go. I still need to top-dress and over-seed the lawn to thicken it up and keep the weeds down. If I can get that done next year, i should be well on my way to a beautiful organic lawn. I've also followed Joe's advice.

Archived