• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Verizon Weather Line Observations

Harv_poor

Column in the Washington Post Metro section today that Verizon is discontinuing both the time and weather phone numbers come June. Mentions both Keith Allen and Howard Phoebus among others.

http://www.washingto...1030805998.html

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo not the time and weather! What will I do without being able to call and find out what time it is and what the weather is going to be???? :)

/sarcasm off/

Seriously though, it's about time. Most people have a smart phone that they can see the time right on the phone and get on the internet to check the weather. Even my basic cell phone with my basic plan allows me to check the weather online for free.

I actually like to hear a voice. I guess now that I'm older, I'm old fashioned. I'm sort of sad about that news. I remember it would be a fun little break when temps would be topping out at 100 degrees and I would put it on speaker phone at the office and then we would all go have an ice cream break. The good ole days. I just called for old time sake. (Where did the last 15 years go? gosh.)

Does anybody remember another weather line run by weather enthusiasts in the early to mid-80s? I can remember dialing them before the February 1983 storm and it was obvious the recording was done by a snow lover. Then I think Bill Kamal got involved. And right after the first snowstorm in January 1987, which was on a Thursday, he was already calling for the Sunday night storm. And then he started ranting why the NWS wasn't putting up Watches and warnings.

Before the internet the Verizon number was useful if you were out of town in the winter and you thought DC was getting snow. It was the only way to get the weather info.

Archived