Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The DEC 26-27 2010 storm was a TRUE blizzard for NYC

CAT5ANDREW

i don't ever recall OKX forecasting that much snow

They did...it was a mega bust...they had Southern Westchester getting 2 feet and I ended up with 12.5".

I only had 13" in Boxing Day, sat in subsidence from the mega-band that crushed NJ, so the storm was only unique for winds in my area. This is similar to what happened to sections of Nassau County during the February 2006 super-band that crushed Hartford to NYC and left many others unsatisfied.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<br /><br /><br />

When did you have the thundersnow during the DEC 03 event?? I did not see any here.

Andrew -- part 2 of the storm we had an intense deformation band aligned N-S along the GSP. State of emergence declared. I had 2-3"/hr rates for a couple hours w/ vivid lightning and thunder.

Here's the radar progression courtesy of Ray's site.

http://www.njfreeways.com/weather/2004/05-Dec-03-FortDixDopplerRadarImagery.html

<br />Andrew -- part 2 of the storm we had an intense deformation band aligned N-S along the GSP. State of emergence declared. I had 2-3"/hr rates for a couple hours w/ vivid lightning and thunder.<br /><br />Here's the radar progression courtesy of Ray's site.<br /><br /><a href='http://www.njfreeways.com/weather/2004/05-Dec-03-FortDixDopplerRadarImagery.html' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://www.njfreeway...darImagery.html</a><br />
<br /><br /><br />

We missed out on that heavy band in Queens until later on that afternoon when it snowed heavy with wind for a couple of hours.

<br /><br /><br />

Imagine how I feel when my family reminds me of Christmas Eve 1966 when I was 2 months old and in Doylestown PA where there was a HECS with 7 hours of lightning and thunder.

that was a great holiday storm..so was Dec 2002..and I consider the Boxer Blizzard a holiday storm because it happened a day after Christmas

that was a great holiday storm..so was Dec 2002..and I consider the Boxer Blizzard a holiday storm because it happened a day after Christmas

My house got hammered with 11" in the XMAS 2002 storm. My aunt and uncle were coming down from Albany and had a tough time, took them over 6 hours to arrive in Westchester. Drove through 20-30" snow in the Capital District, expected the changeover to rain but never happened. Snowman.gif

As has been mentioned, the Boxing Day storm did not dump as much snow in my area as the Jan 96' storm - I probably got 10" more in 1996.

But the Boxing Day storm was maybe a little scarier. Remember my front door being blown open at 2am, and there were power outages not that far away.

Feb 83' was closest in ferocity...just wish I could remember more about that storm as I was quite drunk.

I did an analysis of this storm to all of the storm since 1869 for NYC, I think the Boxing day blizzard came in 2nd place next to the blizzard of 1888. 1914 and 1961 come in close behind. I place the boxing day blizzard ahead of them due to greatert amount of snow generated from this one. The boxing day storm was way more intense the the blizzard of 1996, since the winds and snowfall rates were much stronger during the Boxing day blizzard. PD storm of 2003 and 2006 also produce some blizzard condition, but the snowfall rates during the high wind period was less.

The Boxing day blizzard is my favorite storm of all time. I will never forget the HPC's famous saying " Throw out the GFS ":arrowhead: I am still shocked how the models all lost this storm and then brought it back on Christmas Eve. Best Christmas Eve ever.:thumbsup: The blizzard of 1996 isn't because I don't really remember that storm. The Boxing day blizzard featured very heavy snow and a lot of wind. Also, the city was a standstill the day after the storm. Just an insane storm.

Here are some pics from my area.

DSCN0904.jpg

DSCN0910.jpg

DSCN0912.jpg

DSCN0905.jpg

DSCN0919.jpg

DSCN0921.jpg

The last 2 pics were snow drifts.

25 inches of snow. The most snow that I ever saw.:thumbsup:

What really seperates the Boxing Day storm from ALL the rest is the 55-60MPH winds we had for much of that Monday with clear sunny skies.I have never seen winds like that AFTER a HECS.

For us it was that and the incredible drifting.

i'd definitely would say the feb 1983 and dec 2010 storms were identical twins.... at least for anyone who got roughly 20" in the december storm.

But you would agree, Jan '96 is still NJ greatest storm, that and 1899.

In NJ yes.

In Queens, I received 9 lightning strikes and loud thunder in a 2 hour period on January 26-27.

It shows you how great the first part of winter was that were trying to decide which was the best storm we've ever seen and theyre both from the same winter! BTW nice radar shot, it shows JFK was in some of the heaviest snow too ;) Maybe the observer was buried in a drift lol.

They did, I have it somewhere on my computer. I believe it was 26 inches for the city on the forecast map.

What went wrong? Too far south?

The highest forecasting bracket my area was ever in was PD2, when 24-30" was predicted towards the end of the event, and of course that verified (timing is everything lol.)

+1.....i agree with this post 100%. I saw things that day that i will prob never see again. Drifts behind loading docks 6-7 feet high, people just snowed in. That blizzard pretty much parlayzed the garden state parkway area of jersey. Never have i seen 100 cars stuck in the express lane from holmdel-red bank with 5-6 foot drifts around them. It was def as bad as the lake shore drive situation. What also stands out to me is the forcast by local mets on xmass eve night was for the system to no effect us, by xmass night 12-18. I will never forget the model bust with this, and how most areas where not pre-pared for this storm...all in all it was a recipe for disaster.

Algreek i know you like 96 for its snowfall, but for impact and effect on nyc i think boxing day was way worse....it was a blizzard for nyc is all sense of the word.

I always thought about calling this storm the parkway storm for jersey residents, as it feels the parkway towns got hit the worse. I have talk to many people that live through the 96 storm, and all of them say for mby boxing day was way worse. Boxing the day is def king for me.

Jan 1996 was amazingly disruptive..... the LIRR was shut down for close to a week. I had drifts covering the first floor of my house.

Archived