joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The DEC 26-27 2010 storm was a TRUE blizzard for NYC

CAT5ANDREW

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those who got the most snow did not get the highest winds while those who got less snow got stronger winds.The snow rates here were 2-3 inches per hour at times combined with 60+MPH winds.I believe that there are some here who did not go out and truly experience those conditions.Watching it from your house and being out in it are 2 different things.I honestly dont believe I will ever experience conditions like that again here.I could be wrong but I doubt it.Truly a once in a lifetime experience.

Those who got the most snow did not get the highest winds while those who got less snow got stronger winds.The snow rates here were 2-3 inches per hour at times combined with 60+MPH winds.I believe that there are some here who did not go out and truly experience those conditions.Watching it from your house and being out in it are 2 different things.I honestly dont believe I will ever experience conditions like that again here.I could be wrong but I doubt it.Truly a once in a lifetime experience.

Yes, I had a 65mph wind gust in Southern Westchester...I took a walk with my best friend from HS, and the conditions were absolutely insane...temperature was 17.5F with +SN and winds roaring to 60mph, literally white-out conditions and snow flying sideways into your face, stinging your flesh. We only got 13" but the blizzard was insane at its height, gorgeous and powerful.

The board would love to see February 1899 again.... oh what would I do to see that one. One of THE greatest storms of all time. 34" at Cape May...

THE perfect Blizzard, IMO.

What was the snowfall difference, duration, and wind difference which would have topped The Boxing Day Blizzard in Cape May? Basic comparisons?

Boxing day storm was amazing and it was intense....really high winds and gusts to over 60 mph and the snow made it like a true blizzard. 96' and 03' I think still had more widespread 16" plus amounts especially 03'. Still this storm is easily in the top 5 most intense blizzards in the philadelphia, new jersey, nyc/long island, conneticut in history or atleast I think so

Boxing day storm was amazing and it was intense....really high winds and gusts to over 60 mph and the snow made it like a true blizzard. 96' and 03' I think still had more widespread 16" plus amounts especially 03'. Still this storm is easily in the top 5 most intense blizzards in the philadelphia, new jersey, nyc/long island, conneticut in history or atleast I think so

There was much more variation to the lower end in the Boxing Day storm though: I only measured 13" and my friend reported like 4-5" in SE CT. '96 had a huge coverage of 20" amounts and '03 gave most 16"+...The height of the Boxing Day storm was insanely dangerous and intense, however.

There was much more variation to the lower end in the Boxing Day storm though: I only measured 13" and my friend reported like 4-5" in SE CT. '96 had a huge coverage of 20" amounts and '03 gave most 16"+...The height of the Boxing Day storm was insanely dangerous and intense, however.

Intensity wise the boxing day storm has 96' and 03' beat because it was very dangerous and intense as you said but the true widespread snowfall wasn't really there though to really put it over the top I think

sorry you missed out

sorry you missed out

Yes, there were some weird gaps in the banding for a low of that pressure; as with the 12/19 storm and the mega-band over C LI/SE CT, the intense banding over NNJ really stole the show and caused subsidence on the sides of that mesoband. It was definitely a very hard storm to measure, however, and many places in Southern Westchester listed 16-18" as the final total. Still one of my favorite storms to experience however with 65mph winds and whiteout conditions.

Archived