• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The DEC 26-27 2010 storm was a TRUE blizzard for NYC

CAT5ANDREW

<br />I didn't see any lightning in the blizzard, and actually the Jan 26-27 storm was the most impressive one I've seen since Dec 03 in terms of lightning output. Bright flashing and loud thunder for 10-15 minutes during that late jan event. We've had a great stretch.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

When did you have the thundersnow during the DEC 03 event?? I did not see any here.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<br /><br /><br />

FEB 1983 had probably over 100 bolts in that storm.

Wow. Wish I wasnt 2 years old.

I still have 1996 as the true king of all snowstorms, in my lifetime. Maybe the winds werent as intense as Boxing day, but the longevity was incredible. With 30" of snow widespread and into NE Queens.

<br />Tom,<br /><br />I was watching the windows by deck, it was just a stunning progression of creeping it up.  4 PM it really got going, then around midnight, I had about 18 inches on the ground.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

from 8PM to 1AM it was a White Hurricane

<br />Wow. Wish I wasnt 2 years old. <br /><br />I still have 1996 as the true king of all snowstorms, in my lifetime. Maybe the winds werent as intense as Boxing day, but the longevity was incredible. With 30" of snow widespread and into NE Queens.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

The Loudest thunder I ever heard during a snowfalll was the JAN 22 1987 storm and the FEB 4th 1995 storm.Both of those had car alarm,window rattling thunderclaps with them.

<br />Speaking of February '83, my dad measures every storm to that one.... I would have loved to see those rates.... easily 4-5" per hour, right Andrew?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Yes it did.

For snowfall rates though FEB 12 2006 takes the cake.That storm had the most intense snow rates I have ever seen.

<br />Well I was only four so I guess I just don't remember it too well, lol.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Imagine how I feel when my family reminds me of Christmas Eve 1966 when I was 2 months old and in Doylestown PA where there was a HECS with 7 hours of lightning and thunder.

Wow. Wish I wasnt 2 years old.

I still have 1996 as the true king of all snowstorms, in my lifetime. Maybe the winds werent as intense as Boxing day, but the longevity was incredible. With 30" of snow widespread and into NE Queens.

This is what sets it apart for me. Yes not as intense and windy as December 26th but the duration, just incredible. Believe me there was plenty of sustained blizzard winds for many hours in 1996 down in coastal NJ where I was living at the time. Was it as crazy wind wise as December 26th, no but it was plenty impressive, then add the unheard of duration. Still the king in my experiences with snowstorms.

This is what sets it apart for me. Yes not as intense and windy as December 26th but the duration, just incredible. Believe me there was plenty of sustained blizzard winds for many hours in 1996 down in coastal NJ where I was living at the time. Was it as crazy wind wise as December 26th, no but it was plenty impressive, then add the unheard of duration. Still the king in my experiences with snowstorms.

Would love for this board to live a storm similar to 1996. It would be incredible experience.

<br /><br /><br />

Imagine how I feel when my family reminds me of Christmas Eve 1966 when I was 2 months old and in Doylestown PA where there was a HECS with 7 hours of lightning and thunder.

Oh wow. My parents didn't even know each other in 1966 yet, lol. 7 hours? That must have been a spectacle.

<br /><br /><br />

Yes it did.

For snowfall rates though FEB 12 2006 takes the cake.That storm had the most intense snow rates I have ever seen.

Indeed about 2006... That morning was like someone poured MILK from the sky, when I woke up early, it was very heavy snow, just absurd snow....

December 2010 was the best storm of my life, and it's not even really close. Obviously as far as regional impact, '96 stands alone. But here, December 26 2010 takes the cake by far. We had in excess of four hours of sustained blizzard conditions and topped 30 inches of snow. The banding sat directly over us, the impact was incredible. The dramatics leading up to event, the severity of the synoptic situation, the timing with the holiday, it was everything you could possibly ask for. It was awesome experiencing that entire thing with all of you guys.

When we move forward into other winters, everybody will talk about '96, '03 etc...but for me December 2010 is the storm which most will be measured against (unfairly so, lol!).

+1.....i agree with this post 100%. I saw things that day that i will prob never see again. Drifts behind loading docks 6-7 feet high, people just snowed in. That blizzard pretty much parlayzed the garden state parkway area of jersey. Never have i seen 100 cars stuck in the express lane from holmdel-red bank with 5-6 foot drifts around them. It was def as bad as the lake shore drive situation. What also stands out to me is the forcast by local mets on xmass eve night was for the system to no effect us, by xmass night 12-18. I will never forget the model bust with this, and how most areas where not pre-pared for this storm...all in all it was a recipe for disaster.

Algreek i know you like 96 for its snowfall, but for impact and effect on nyc i think boxing day was way worse....it was a blizzard for nyc is all sense of the word.

I always thought about calling this storm the parkway storm for jersey residents, as it feels the parkway towns got hit the worse. I have talk to many people that live through the 96 storm, and all of them say for mby boxing day was way worse. Boxing the day is def king for me.

+1.....i agree with this post 100%. I saw things that day that i will prob never see again. Drifts behind loading docks 6-7 feet high, people just snowed in. That blizzard pretty much parlayzed the garden state parkway area of jersey. Never have i seen 100 cars stuck in the express lane from holmdel-red bank with 5-6 foot drifts around them. It was def as bad as the lake shore drive situation. What also stands out to me is the forcast by local mets on xmass eve night was for the system to no effect us, by xmass night 12-18. I will never forget the model bust with this, and how most areas where not pre-pared for this storm...all in all it was a recipe for disaster.

Algreek i know you like 96 for its snowfall, but for impact and effect on nyc i think boxing day was way worse....it was a blizzard for nyc is all sense of the word.

I always thought about calling this storm the parkway storm for jersey residents, as it feels the parkway towns got hit the worse. I have talk to many people that live through the 96 storm, and all of them say for mby boxing day was way worse. Boxing the day is def king for me.

Yes for NYC metro Boxing Day was worse than it was for them in 1996. For the central New Jersey folks especially eastern sections 1996 and Boxing Day were equally crippling. If you like insane blizzard winds Boxing Day is for you. If you like duration with winds that are still blizzard level (like boxing day did, causing 7-9 foot drifts) but not over the top like Boxing Day then 1996 is for you. For me, I want Boxing Day and infuse it with the 1996 duration and only then will I then concede that a snowstorm was better than 1996.

<br />+1.....i agree with this post 100%. I saw things that day that i will prob never see again. Drifts behind loading docks 6-7 feet high, people just snowed in. That blizzard pretty much parlayzed the garden state parkway area of jersey. Never have i seen 100 cars stuck in the express lane from holmdel-red bank with 5-6 foot drifts around them. It was def as bad as the lake shore drive situation. What also stands out to me is the forcast by local mets on xmass eve night was for the system to no effect us, by xmass night 12-18. I will never forget the model bust with this, and how most areas where not pre-pared for this storm...all in all it was a recipe for disaster. <br /><br />Algreek i know you like 96 for its snowfall, but for impact and effect on nyc i think boxing day was way worse....it was a blizzard for nyc is all sense of the word. <br /><br />I always thought about calling this storm the parkway storm for jersey residents, as it feels the parkway towns got hit the worse. I have talk to many people that live through the 96 storm, and all of them say for mby boxing day was way worse. Boxing the day is def king for me.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

My car was buried in my backyard driveway by the drifts.6-9 foot drifts in some areas around here.Mostly 4-5 feet.That snow had to be the toughest to plow in your lifetime.

Yes for NYC metro Boxing Day was worse than it was for them in 1996. For the central New Jersey folks especially eastern sections 1996 and Boxing Day were equally crippling. If you like insane blizzard winds Boxing Day is for you. If you like duration with winds that are still blizzard level (like boxing day still causing 7-9 foot drifts) but not over the top like Boxing Day then 1996 is for you. For me, I want Boxing Day and infuse it with the 1996 duration and only then will I then concede that a snowstorm was better than 1996.

February 1899 is your friend... 30"+ in Bergen County. 1899 is the king for cold alone... go on Wikipeida about Blizzard of 1899.

<br /><br /><br />

My car was buried in my backyard driveway by the drifts.6-9 foot drifts in some areas around here.Mostly 4-5 feet.That snow had to be the toughest to plow in your lifetime.

Yep........i never seen snow like that to plow....plus you could not get lot-lot during the storm so we just stayed in one lot.....plowing that storm just seems like a big blur to me, we mostly brough the loader from lot to lot after the storm was over. Work a whole week after that storm, if kids had school that week they would have def been off for a while...

It's more exciting because more people got in on it. I love seeing such an expansive precipation shield just crawling towards you knowing its going to last for a day or more. And although it still had the sharp cutoff it was much further to the north than expected. 12/26/10 totally screwed alot of people, not myself but it did make for a bit of nerves watching the models go east at the last minute. I mean even 20 miles west of my house got half the amount of snow.

I dont think you ment it this way.....but if dc is getting a blizzard, while im getting blizzard does not make the storm in my eyes anymore amazing....

To be honest guys,

pick any storm from February 2010, IF everything went right, 1996 would be our #2 or even #3 on our list....

Everyone recalls Upton's BULLISH forecast for February 10th.... Snow map had 26" here or so.

i don't ever recall OKX forecasting that much snow

I agree with you 100% John.I never thought that FEB 1978 and JAN 1996 would be surpassed,but this one did by a healthy margin.It was a great way to end what was nearly the hottest year on record for us.

Also important to remember that I was only six during the '96 blizzard so I guess you can argue that this storm may have leapfrogged that one easier.

But the hours of thundersnow in Dec 2010 were like nothing I have ever seen.

Archived