amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
March 4-6 Potential Winter Storm

Chicago WX

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Almost feel like it's pointless either analyzing the current batch of models or making a call on what I think is going to happen. I'm almost certain we're going to get thrown a curveball in the next couple of days.

The morning GRR discussion was speculating about whether the previous couple Euro runs were more correct. Imagine if we went back to that type of solution? :lol:

I'm almost certain we're going to get thrown a curveball in the next couple of days.

And I am gonna hit it out of the park :thumbsup:

MKE AFD:

MID LEVEL SHORTWAVE STRENGTHENS AND MOVES INTO THE MISSISSIPPI

VALLEY REGION SATURDAY. THIS TAKES THE SURFACE TROUGH AXIS INTO

THE OHIO VALLEY AND EASTERN GREAT LAKES REGION...WITH A WAVE OF

LOW PRESSURE MOVING ACROSS THE SOUTHERN CHICAGO AREA LATE FRIDAY

EVENING AND INTO SOUTHERN LOWER MICHIGAN BY SUNRISE SATURDAY.

WHILE THE HEAVIEST PRECIPITATION STAYS TO THE SOUTH AND EAST OF

THE FORECAST AREA AS THICKNESS VALUES COOL ON THE GFS. NAM SOUNDINGS

INDICATE ANY PRECIPITATION WOULD SWITCH TO SNOW AROUND 9 PM AT

MADISON AND AROUND MIDNIGHT AT MILWAUKEE. THE 12Z NAM INDICATES

0.40 IN LIQUID EQUIVALENT WHICH COULD BE SNOW AT BOTH MILWAUKEE

AND KENOSHA. TOTAL QPF FOR FRIDAY THROUGH FRIDAY NIGHT IS BACK UP

TO AROUND AN INCH IN THE FAR SOUTHEAST ON THE NAM...BUT MUCH LOWER

ON THE GFS.

MODELS ARE STILL HAVING A HARD TIME LOCKING IN ON THE NORTHERN

EXTENT OF THE SIGNIFICANT PRECIPITATION...SO WILL STILL USE MORE

OF A BLEND IN POPS AND QPF BEFORE JUMPING BACK ON THE MORE

NORTHERN NAM TRACK.

Almost feel like it's pointless either analyzing the current batch of models or making a call on what I think is going to happen. I'm almost certain we're going to get thrown a curveball in the next couple of days.

when you see all that energy sitting off the coast and spitting out at various intervals, its a fruitless endeavour to try and guess what may or may not happen. it really is an exercise in futility.

by about 12z friday, we should have the 'general' idea.

Gonna be a pretty decent snow event for the cheeseheads on this run.

Not to shabby here either. Now lets see this on the 00z runs!

Harry, what's the spread like on the 12z Euro ensembles?

One obvious trend is weaker. Another is less of them have east of apps low. The spread is now basically between here and eastern Ohio. However keep in mind that because it is a spag plot being used for all the members and only pic up on it if it is 1005mb or lower and a number of them may not just be showing it and thus weaker lows. There is however a couple ( 2 ) that has a slightly stronger lead wave that pops in WI at 54hrs that moves to N.MI. Remember this model has 51 ensemble members.

In short there is still some decent spread granted it is slowly closing in.

when you see all that energy sitting off the coast and spitting out at various intervals, its a fruitless endeavour to try and guess what may or may not happen. it really is an exercise in futility.

by about 12z friday, we should have the 'general' idea.

I need storm 1 to phase less or storm 2 to reappear, otherwise I'm screwed. Looks like you get a decent thump on the 18z NAM although the transition line is really close.

Not to shabby here either. Now lets see this on the 00z runs!

One obvious trend is weaker. Another is less of them have east of apps low. The spread is now basically between here and eastern Ohio. However keep in mind that because it is a spag plot being used for all the members and only pic up on it if it is 1005mb or lower and a number of them may not just be showing it and thus weaker lows. There is however a couple ( 2 ) that has a slightly stronger lead wave that pops in WI at 54hrs that moves to N.MI. Remember this model has 51 ensemble members.

In short there is still some decent spread granted it is slowly closing in.

Did you read the GRR zone forecasts for tomorrow night through Saturday? They should have just said "any type of precip possible" instead of this "chance of freezing rain...rain likely...snow likely...sleet possible" laughable mumbo jumbo. I don't even know why I check their forecasts.

I need storm 1 to phase less or storm 2 to reappear, otherwise I'm screwed. Looks like you get a decent thump on the 18z NAM although the transition line is really close.

i suspect most of it is rain here.

yesterday things were looking up, today things are looking down.

there is zero consistency so not going to get too involved just yet.

im still hopeful storm 2 reappaears, more of the 12z GFS ensembles had it vs the 00z ensembles, but it was along the coast.

Did you read the GRR zone forecasts for tomorrow night through Saturday? They should have just said "any type of precip possible" instead of this "chance of freezing rain...rain likely...snow likely...sleet possible" laughable mumbo jumbo. I don't even know why I check their forecasts.

I saw it. :lol:

Wait till you see the latest AFD that just went out. :facepalm:

Yes the forecast is a hard one so i will give them that ( thus wise to do what they did with the zones etc ) but geez they are not even trying or so it seems following the AFD.

It is really a shame to see what has been happening to this office because when i moved here i can safely say it was one of ( if not "the best" )the best in the region. I use to always post their AFD's because of how well written and detailed they were which had some good synoptic reasoning of their own as well and thus not just a crappy half assed run down of the models. Only one who still goes the distance anymore is WDM. Atleast in winter anyways.

Yes the forecast is a hard one so i will give them that ( thus wise to do what they did with the zones etc ) but geez they are not even trying or so it seems following the AFD.

It is really a shame to see what has been happening to this office because when i moved here i can safely say it was one of ( if not "the best" )the best in the region. I use to always post their AFD's because of how well written and detailed they were which had some good synoptic reasoning of their own as well and thus not just a crappy half assed run down of the models. Only one who still goes the distance anymore is WDM. Atleast in winter anyways.

I read it a few minutes ago and pretty much put my hand on my head. I think they just wait until the 18Z NAM comes out and combine it somewhat with the 12Z GFS and create some messed up forecast that combines a bit of both model forecasts. They have been AWFUL this winter...AWFUL, as I'm sure you know! :thumbsdown:

They mentioned the fim model the other day.

The forecaster for the synopsis,short term is hoving. I graduated with him and he started at that office about 4 years as a SCEP student so he's still a little bit new and i'm sure has only been writing AFD's for a short while, sometimes they just end up running out of time with the AFD and depends on how motivated the forecaster is with how in depth he wants to go also how comfortable he is going into the synoptics of the event at this stage.

The forecaster for the synopsis,short term is hoving. I graduated with him and he started at that office about 4 years as a SCEP student so he's still a little bit new and i'm sure has only been writing AFD's for a short while, sometimes they just end up running out of time with the AFD and depends on how motivated the forecaster is with how in depth he wants to go also how comfortable he is going into the synoptics of the event at this stage.

I don't know because Bill ( WDM ) always seems to have plenty of time to write a decent AFD. Ofcourse he is the lead forecaster there but still. Point is though they have been lacking recently and it sucks to see considering what i remember coming out of this office at one time. I am not the only one to notice it either. Thus there is a problem. Hopefully they fix it. I did pass my concerns to Bill a few minutes ago. See what happens.

Yeah, it wasn't a bad AFD other than not mentioning that the latest few trends have been colder.

At this time range, the GFS will either score a major coup or suffer a major bust. The next few model cycles will be key.

If I had to make a forecast for us, for the moment, I'd go with a GEM/UKIE compromise. Not as far north as the EURO/NAM but warmer than the GFS. Rather than all snow Saturday, I'd start us a rain, and maybe mix/change us later in the day/evening.

I can certainly say this will not be happening down here at LBF once I get forecasting (an admittedly long time with the training process). Full effort will be put forth in all forecasts and AFD's/forecast products. Didn't read GRR AFD/forecast so I can't comment that--but on this end there will always be full effort. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Archived