• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
March 4-6 Potential Winter Storm

Chicago WX

BTW if you were referring just to severe weather.....its funny actually....severe weather was at a huge surplus from the late 1990s to early 2000s...then when the heavy snowfall took over the surplus of severe ceased and downright grinded to a near-halt in 2007-09. It returned with a vengeance in 2010 and we were finally able to overlap surplus of severe and surplus of snow at the same time (2010-11). If it continues in 2011 remains to be seen, but I have confidence in stebo's prediction (though for me personally snow is a TRILLION times more important than severe).

:arrowhead: Wow...Nice Rant but its obvious you didn't pick up on the joke..:arrowhead:

Cant say I dont agree with you though..Good write up...(Look for the joke though :thumbsup:)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's definitely done a decent job this winter. EURO on the other hand has been mediocre (which is poor by its standards). Yeah, I'm sure you can dig up its H5 scores and tell me different, but I don't think I'm delusional in saying that this winter it's come back to the pack.

Yeah H5 scores don't tell the whole story. Euro was mediocre for some of the hybrid clippers back in December for MBY...of course the GFS was not much better. NAM seemed to handle those pretty well, though again talking about LAF. But as we've talked about before, no model is perfect and to take them verbatim (especially outside 60 hours) is probably a bit foolish.

:arrowhead: Wow...Nice Rant but its obvious you didn't pick up on the joke..:arrowhead:

Cant say I dont agree with you though..Good write up...(Look for the joke though :thumbsup:)

As I said I sorta knew it was tongue in cheek :) But its really surprising how much complaining OVERALL we see on these boards, I mean from region to region throughout the board, not singling anyone out. From the lamenting about no epic storm here, to some in south-central OH complaining about "worst winter ever" when theyve still seen 30" of snow (theyve probably had 3 dozen winters under 20" in the last 100 years)...and I remember PLENTY of complaining in NE prior to Christmas. Weather is an interesting force, and I just worry that one of these winters soon karma is going to show and show everyone what a sh*tty winter is (I PRAY Im wrong)...thats why I try to enjoy the times we are in as much as possible. When you have to cancel your annual up-north snow trip because theres more snow in your yard than by Lake Superior, its good times :lmao:

A nicely done AFD from DVN

A CHANGE FROM THE CURRENT FIVE WAVE PATTERN TO A FOUR WAVE WILL

OCCUR STARTING THIS WEEKEND. A STORM SYSTEM EAST OF JAPAN IS

UNDERGOING RAPID INTENSIFICATION AND IS BUILDING A RIDGE ALONG THE

DATE LINE PER WATER VAPOR IMAGERY. A TROF IS DEEPENING OFF THE WEST

COAST AS THE HEMISPHERIC PATTERN AMPLIFIES. THE AMPLIFYING FIVE WAVE

PATTERN WILL BREAK DOWN LATE THIS WEEKEND AND TRANSITION INTO A LOW

TO MODERATELY AMPLIFIED FOUR WAVE PATTERN NEXT WEEK.

THE NEGATIVE PDO...WEAKENING LA NINA...AND WARM SST ANOMALIES ARE

TRYING TO OVERWHELM CLIMATOLOGY BUT ARE NOT SUCCEEDING AS WELL. AS A

RESULT...ONCE THE PATTERN CHANGE HAS FINISHED A POSITIVELY TILTED

LONGWAVE TROF WILL EXIST ACROSS THE CONUS WITH WEST TO SOUTHWEST

FLOW ALOFT. THIS NEW PATTERN SHOULD PERSIST THROUGH THE MIDDLE OF

THE MONTH. THE OVERALL PATTERN SUGGESTS THAT THERE WILL BE AN ACTIVE

STORM TRACK NOT FAR FROM THE AREA.

STARTING FRIDAY AFTERNOON IS WHEN THINGS BECOME MORE INTERESTING.

DUE TO THE ERRONEOUS SNOW FIELD INPUT INTO THE MODELS...ALL ARE

TAKING THE NEXT SYSTEM TOO FAR SOUTH. THERE ARE MANY SIMILARITIES TO

THIS SYSTEM AND THE ONE THAT OCCURRED LAST SUNDAY NIGHT INTO MONDAY.

THE BOUNDARY THAT PASSES THROUGH DURING THE DAY ON FRIDAY WILL MARK

WHERE THE LEAD SFC WAVE WILL GO...WHICH WILL BE TO THE SOUTH AND

EAST OF THE CWFA. THE MAIN SYSTEM LOW WILL GO THROUGH THE

TENNESSEE/OHIO VALLEYS WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR ANOTHER SEVERE

OUTBREAK.

THE WRF IS RIGHT FOR THE WRONG REASONS IF ONE USES THE 295K

CONDENSATION PRESSURE DEFICITS AND THE 300K-305K OMEGA. ADJUSTING

THE GFS FURTHER TO THE NORTH/WEST ONE GETS THE SAME RESULTS.

THEREFORE...THE LEAD SFC WAVE WILL MOVE THROUGH MISSOURI FRIDAY

AFTERNOON AND THEN TRACK UP ALONG THE BOUNDARY THROUGH CENTRAL

ILLINOIS AND INTO NORTHERN INDIANA. ISOLD/SCT RAIN SHOWERS SHOULD

SLOWLY BREAK OUT FRIDAY AFTERNOON ACROSS THE AREA. THE LIFT TOOL

STRONGLY SUPPORTS AND HAS SO FOR THE PAST THREE DAYS THAT TSRA WILL

OCCUR IN THE SOUTHERN PART OF THE CWFA FRIDAY EVENING...ROUGHLY

SOUTH OF A KSQI TO KOTM LINE IN THE AREA OF STRONGEST

FORCING/CONVERGENCE. MODERATE TO HEAVY RAIN WILL LIKELY ALSO BE SEEN

IN THIS AREA.

THE FCST SOUNDINGS ARE NOT CLEAR BUT THERE APPEARS TO BE SOME DRY

AIR OVER THE AREA IN THE MID LEVELS. IF THIS ENDS UP BEING TRUE...

THEN STRONG EVAPORATIVE COOLING WILL OCCUR WHICH COULD PROMOTE THE

PRODUCTION OF SLEET OR FZRA IN THE NORTHWEST PART OF THE CWFA. CAA

OCCURRING BEHIND THE FIRST WAVE AFTER MIDNIGHT WILL RESULT IN A

CHANGE FROM RAIN TO SNOW WITH A POTENTIAL FOR ICE DURING THE CHANGE

OVER.

Looks like a 50 mile swath of heavy snow on the backside that clips SE MI. Ottawa or places in canada will get hammered with snow.

Yeah, on the 12z GGEM the far east side gets a moderate dumping, but there's nothing NW of there.

This is with the second wave BTW.

Everyone else besides far SE Michigan (some lighter snows in KY/OH) and parts of Ontario/Quebec gets all rain with both waves.

SSC gets a light to moderate dumping too.

I never had any hope for snow across southern Ohio on this one. I just didn't see that secondary doing anything to write home about. I think if were going to get another measurable snow which we have NOT had one since January. What I mean by that is 1+ inches. That will happen next week or the week after.....If we don't get another 1+ snowfall it would be a pitiful way to end winter for areas south of I 70 in Ohio and north of i 64.....

I never had any hope for snow across southern Ohio on this one. I just didn't see that secondary doing anything to write home about. I think if were going to get another measurable snow which we have NOT had one since January. What I mean by that is 1+ inches. That will happen next week or the week after.....If we don't get another 1+ snowfall it would be a pitiful way to end winter for areas south of I 70 in Ohio and north of i 64.....

It happened up this way last year with our last inch+ in Feb which for some shattered some records for such a early occurrence. 2009 looked like it was headed for a record for the same and thus no snow that March either but ala April rolled in and had a couple of systems roll through dumping a few inches.

Till the Calendar says May 1st i don't rule anything out and one look at the record books says why. Heck there has been snow storms here in May itself but that is extremely rare too and thus why i don't think much about it come May. :)

Archived