• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March 4-6 Potential Winter Storm

Chicago WX

Finally got signed up on AWIPS today. It was great using the Euro with precip and all the other goodies. I set up a dynamic tropopause 1.5 PVU procedure right away.

So many procedures. Every talk I see, or paper I read it seems I'm creating a new one (for each model of course).

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol you sob must be nice to have all the IPV/PVU stuff plus precip i couldn't imagine looking at the full suite of data for the euro. I had access during my volunteer but it was summer and i was to busy doing spotter info/storm reports/climo updates. I want detailed analysis when it comes in, Dan Riddle was telling me it usually comes in about an hour later from pay sites so you might be a bit behind but let me know about what time it comes in..... must be a nightmare for the afternoon afd.

Yeah it does unfortunately--it comes in one big chunk when the run finishes. Also we have no access to good soundings--they only give select levels so then AWIPS just interpolates the values. The eventual soundings look like junk.

lol you sob must be nice to have all the IPV/PVU stuff plus precip i couldn't imagine looking at the full suite of data for the euro. I had access during my volunteer but it was summer and i was to busy doing spotter info/storm reports/climo updates. I want detailed analysis when it comes in, Dan Riddle was telling me it usually comes in about an hour later from pay sites so you might be a bit behind but let me know about what time it comes in..... must be a nightmare for the afternoon afd.

Worse in Eastern Region. It dumps in just before the forecast is due. :lmao:

What does this Euro show for Indiana/Ohio? Mostly rain, then alittle snow? The track from N. AL to the NE looks like a good track for snow in Indiana. Basically how are the thermals? and how much QPF for KIND. Thanks alot!

IND gets about 2" qpf. Perhaps a couple inches of snow with more east.

Can we somehow swap procedures? I am pretty much an AWIPS newb besides my NWS volunteer work a few years ago at GFK--I am still finding my way around.

You can steal them very easily from co-workers :thumbsup:. But from office to office you need to put them on a CD (because obviously you'll want to bring them with you to your next job). FYI, the radar procedures get royally screwed up in the WFO to WFO move. You have to build them all from scratch again.

I just got internet tonite--and haven't looked at work with all the paperwork--so I am out of the loop with this storm. I will have to take a longer look before I comment.

No problem, congrats on the new job, gotta be a busy time for you. Looks like you may get a snowstorm next week if the models are correct.

Worse in Eastern Region. It dumps in just before the forecast is due. :lmao:

ya i've seen that Eastern Region seems to always have issues with this, mentioning that the latest euro has this or as this was being submitted but noticed that the euro trended this way, must be tough to get a good AFD writted when 1 of the best models hasn't come in yet and you need to submit an AFD.

Archived