• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
feb 27-28 potential winter storm

earthlight

I definitely would not give up on winter yet. It is amazing how La Nina has finally decided to arrive in full force, and as a result the long range does look over all putrid right now on the data. However, the fact remains there is an excellent reservoir of cold air available nearby, unlike going into last March. If we get lucky with good timing we can get an event like earlier this week in a bad pattern. But in terms of seeing a favorable pattern develop down the road, some MJO model forecasts are migrating it towards the phase 8 or phase 1 regions down the road, which have the following 500mb composites respectively for March. A long shot to come to fruition, but we can hope. (I personally would LOVE Spring right now as well)

MarchPhase8500mb.gif

MarchPhase1500mb.gif

Todays GEFS:

ensplume_full.gif

Yesterday's GEFS:

NCPE_phase_21m_full.gif

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope not for me. Until I feel like I did on April 10, 1996 (only time in my life I felt I had enough of snow) while living in SE Monmouth, it will not be enough for me.

Even that winter got long in the tooth. I remember having multiple baseball games cancelled because it kept snowing in April.

Even that winter got long in the tooth. I remember having multiple baseball games cancelled because it kept snowing in April.

Like I said the April 10th, 1996 storm was enough for me and it pretty much was the last snow anyway so it worked out perfectly. Sorry but like every winter after that one and every winter before that one I am just not there yet.

no I agree with him, why is it any different than you people wanting 70 days of snow on the ground and one foot storms every week that create safety issues for weeks and then still want snow well into April

I am sorry if it causes safety issues. Snow and cold in winter was around long before there were safety issues to be concerned about. If I am safe, my family, co-workers and friends are safe then I really don't care about safety concerns. We are in February and heading into March and early April, it is not time to have summer yet not in this area of the US. If I didn't want snow and cold this time of year then I'd live in Florida. I don't live in Florida I live in and around NYC Metro. In winter it should snow and be cold there is no disputing this basic concept.

I am sorry if it causes safety issues. Snow and cold in winter was around long before there were safety issues to be concerned about. If I am safe, my family, co-workers and friends are safe then I really don't care about safety concerns. We are in February and heading into March and early April, it is not time to have summer yet not in this area of the US. If I didn't want snow and cold this time of year then I'd live in Florida. I don't live in Florida I live in and around NYC Metro. In winter it should snow and be cold there is no disputing this basic concept.

Global warming is "in" now. :devilsmiley:

Actually, if Texas and Oklahoma can get 24-30" blizzard at the end of March, (See March 25 2009, which Northern TX had 25 inches of snow), I don't see how we can't do the same if the pattern changes, its a long shot, but, would be very fun to see that.

Euro seems a bit further north and warmer with the disturbance. Looks like a whole lot of nothing for NYC. Maybe a minor event for areas of SNE.

ECM has never been as aggressive with this disturbance as the GFS...have to give it some creedence considering how it trounced the American models the last two storms.

BTW I am looking for ways to prolong winter...going to Vermont soon, maybe headed somewhere even further north/higher up in March for skiing etc. I don't need summer in March; summer is dreadfully long and painfully humid here as it stands.

Archived