• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
february 20-21st winter storm

earthlight

Back up to close to 10" of snow on the ground in Port Jeff as of shortly before 7:00 AM this morning...the bulk of it old snow...photograph taken a few minutes ago looks east...note still buried mailbox in lower left hand corner.

post-747-0-31068700-1298289277.jpg

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im nominating you to replace Michael Kaye on the Yankee broadcasts; instead of saying seeya just after HRs, you can say them after every pitch ;)

Im really enjoying watching the media eat crow after they said winter over earlier last week. Not the mets, the dumb teleprompter reading anchor people.

This storm should get NYC to 60" LGA to 50" and JFK to "cough cough" 40"

Formula for calculating your snowfall if you live near JFK Airport:

JFK Number + 15" = Your Number

<br />+SN<br />27.1/26<br />6.25" new<br /><br />Here are some pictures...measurement is taken on a garbage can that has not been cleared despite that the event has lasted more than 6 hours. Really a nice surprise here in Westchester as I wasn't expecting this much snow...still coming down at a great rate with perfect puffy flakes. <br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

We did good in rockland and westchester.. I seem to have about 6 inches too. The heavier band is starting shift south

Formula for calculating your snowfall if you live near JFK Airport:

JFK Number + 15" = Your Number

Granted...that area is not the best for snow in the Tri-State...but from everything I've read from SW Nassau and Queens posters over the last 6 years (both here and on Eastern)...there may have been some underreporting...

<br /><br /><br />

We did good in rockland and westchester.. I seem to have about 6 inches too. The heavier band is starting shift south

Yeah we've stayed under 25-30dbz returns since 1-2am for the most part, and the fluffy snow has really piled up. Although the band will shift south now, I think I end up close to 8" when I was expecting like 4-5", so this is another very impressive storm. When I was in middle school during the winters of 97-98 through 01-02, 8" would have been a major snowfall for Westchester; now it is just the fourth best event of the season and will hardly be memorable considering the Boxing Day Blizzard and 1/27 superband.

Granted...that area is not the best for snow in the Tri-State...but from everything I've read from SW Nassau and Queens posters over the last 6 years (both here and on Eastern)...there may have been some underreporting...

I agree-- my avg seasonal snowfall is about 23" which is probably about 10" lower than your average, but the difference between locations so close to each other this year is ridiculous.

But at this point, numbers dont really matter-- Ive really enjoyed this winter and this is one more nice event that prolongs winter and silences the "spring is here" people :P

Yeah we've stayed under 25-30dbz returns since 1-2am for the most part, and the fluffy snow has really piled up. Although the band will shift south now, I think I end up close to 8" when I was expecting like 4-5", so this is another very impressive storm. When I was in middle school during the winters of 97-98 through 01-02, 8" would have been a major snowfall for Westchester; now it is just the fourth best event of the season and will hardly be memorable considering the Boxing Day Blizzard and 1/27 superband.

This is one of these years that just begs for a snow diary. An hour by hour one would be of great significance with how this winter has been.

I agree-- my avg seasonal snowfall is about 23" which is probably about 10" lower than your average, but the difference between locations so close to each other this year is ridiculous.

But at this point, numbers dont really matter-- Ive really enjoyed this winter and this is one more nice event that prolongs winter and silences the "spring is here" people :P

There are plenty of things that are problematic with the NYC climate record...not the least of which is because of it, under the well known Koppen Classification System, their climate is considered humid subtropical...the northernmost city in North America with such a designation...keep taking those readings at LGA!

I'd imagine they'll finish over 5" this morning.

Up by you? There was a half inch in holmdel an hr ago with all the returns staying north. Looks like one band will swing thru in the next 2 hrs at least but by then the radiation is going strong..I'm hoping tonight can surprise up here, though I'm not thinking anymore than a coating to 1".

There's 60 inches.....

...NEW YORK COUNTY...

CENTRAL PARK 2.5 700 AM 2/21 FAA CONTRACT OBSERVER

I'm not sure if the "FAA CONTRACT OBSERVER" remark is an error but if it is not did they finally get someone, possibly from EWR or LGA to go and measure at Central Park?

They can borrow the one from JFK if they want lol.

I wonder if the zookeeper is out of a job?

There are plenty of things that are problematic with the NYC climate record...not the least of which is because of it, under the well known Koppen Classification System, their climate is considered humid subtropical...the northernmost city in North America with such a designation...keep taking those readings at LGA!

No doubt a consequence of the UHI effect. Lol.

Archived