• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
february 20-21st winter storm

earthlight

Nothing in the least surprising about that. White Plains is at 440 feet and there were some marginal events that winter...Dec 92 backlash huge in Westchester...around 16" in Yorktown Heights and a lot down to HPN...same with March Superstorm. #'s are 100% legit, IMO.

Checked #'s HPN had 8" in Dec '92 event and 15" in Superstorm...City's total was like half that (combined). Add a few other things... and there you have it.

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They were snowcovered (and my driveway was covered) earlier this morning when the sun's UV rays werent burning through the cloud cover. Now its wet roads, but my driveway is still covered. How much did you measure?

i didnt measure yet- when i woke up at 815 i looked outside after i heard the sounds of tires on a car as if it was raining....so i knew there was no accums in the street (on west broadway)...

Nothing in the least surprising about that. White Plains is at 440 feet and there were some marginal events that winter...Dec 92 backlash huge in Westchester...around 16" in Yorktown Heights and a lot down to HPN...same with March Superstorm. #'s are 100% legit, IMO.

You have to remember...you start driving up 684...not only are you gaining altitude fast...but you are getting away from the ocean and the UHI...and going north. Big difference.

i didnt measure yet- when i woke up at 815 i looked outside after i heard the sounds of tires on a car as if it was raining....so i knew there was no accums in the street (on west broadway)...

Oh the main road maybe, but the little side streets had snow on them, it was a covering, not a snowpack or anything. Melted now. Reminds me of an event last Feb where we had snow at night and it melted during the morning before another round moved in later.

Those graphs prove one thing...88-89 could have been the worst winter ever for the entire NE and New England....even 97-98 there were some decent events that hit inland areas and Boston got hit by a couple of storms in December 1997....88-89 was putrid for even White Plains and even most New England cities.

Except ACY lol.

Did the city have 3" in Dec 92? I thought it was like an inch on the backside.

I'm not sure, the Dec 92 and Dec 93 backlash events both had very variable amounts, I got 3.0 and 6.1 in both respectively but the amounts across the 5 boroughs and Nassau were all over the place in both...I think you could be correct that the city itself was closer to 1

They also somehow got less than NYC in 93-94...possibly because they were too far north for the core of 2/8 event, missed the 12/11 event...that was about 8-9 inches total there.

The 46.3" recorded by HPN in 1993-94 is wrong, IMO. There was missing data that winter per records and I think they saw at least 60" that winter.

I'm not sure, the Dec 92 and Dec 93 backlash events both had very variable amounts, I got 3.0 and 6.1 in both respectively but the amounts across the 5 boroughs and Nassau were all over the place in both...I think you could be correct that the city itself was closer to 1

I remember there were higher totals out in Suffolk county, closer to where the storm stalled out (by Cape Cod.)

W/o checking Dec 92 was basically 2 inches across City and Island Saturday morning as cooler air filtered in and rain changed to snow. I have heard (and read) some accounts that in the hills of Northern Nassau, 5" accumulated...but at this point..it is just legend.

Snow has slackened considerably over the last half hour; at 9:05 AM I measured 4.6" new snow and the depth of snow on the ground is a little short of a foot in most places. Wondering if there might be enough moisture left over to squeeze out a few renegade snow showers and bring the storm total to an even 5. Anyway, I consider this winning the first game of the doubleheader...and with Christy Mathewson going for them in the nigthtcap...a split is sufficient.

Since the radar shows everything far away...will send in my 4.6" total...5.1" on the month...58.2" on the season.

Looks like my idea that this event would have a narrow WNW-ESE band of heavy snow and be an overperformer from around Orange County, NY ESE into SW CT worked out well. The heavy band was a little further south than I expected - I didn't think anyone but Sussex County in NJ would get into it. Several reports of 6-8" in Morris, Sussex, Passaic, and Bergen Counties in NJ, Orange, Rockland and Westchester Counties in NY and SW Fairfield County in CT.

If my memory is correct, there was about 4.5" in East Hills (180 ft elevation) in northern Nassau on Dec 12, 1992.

W/o checking Dec 92 was basically 2 inches across City and Island Saturday morning as cooler air filtered in and rain changed to snow. I have heard (and read) some accounts that in the hills of Northern Nassau, 5" accumulated...but at this point..it is just legend.

Looks like my idea that this event would have a narrow WNW-ESE band of heavy snow and be an overperformer from around Orange County, NY ESE into SW CT worked out well. The heavy band was a little further south than I expected - I didn't think anyone but Sussex County in NJ would get into it. Several reports of 6-8" in Morris, Sussex, Passaic, and Bergen Counties in NJ, Orange, Rockland and Westchester Counties in NY and SW Fairfield County in CT.

Great call. How do you feel about the 2nd wave tonight?

If my memory is correct, there was about 4.5" in East Hills (180 ft elevation) in northern Nassau on Dec 12, 1992.

My elevation idea worked out-- except theyre closer to 300 feet. I wonder how Mt Sinai and Dix Hills and the Bald Hill region did-- perhaps not as well because they were too far to the east.

Warning criteria in my neck of the woods is 6". I measured 7.2" at 8AM this morning and it was still coming down. No watch and just a general advisory for 3-5 that was upgraded to 3-7" this morning. Not a big deal but it did make for some travel problems getting into work. Luckily most people are off today. If we manage to pull off another high end advisory type event that would put us over the 24hr warning level threashold for sure. Suprised we are not seeing some watches for at least central and southern NJ. If the GFS has any clue, next week is going to be wild is this neck of the woods. :thumbsup:

Archived