• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
february 20-21st winter storm

earthlight

Most days were just cold and dry that winter...lot of bright sunshine and not much snow...it didn't snow much in the seventies around here.

Looking back...although the #'s are very close...I'd offer that the 80's seemed snowier than the 70's...

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah with me being so young at the time i dont remember the start-finish of that winter....but was sticks out as the same is the long lasting snow cover, bruta ljanuary, the two icing events, and febuary thaw.

other than the prolonged snow cover, in middlesex county, this year is really nothing like 94... to me anyway.

94 was defined by lots of sleet ... lots of ice... and frequent medium size events.

nothing remotely like the 2 massive snowstorms (20" and 18" locally) this year.

Looking back...although the #'s are very close...I'd offer that the 80's seemed snowier than the 70's...

Yeah the 70s had a streak of horrible winters for the NYC area...72-73 was totally snowless, 74-75 and 75-76 probably sucked bad on LI too...but I'm sure 77-78 brings the average up a lot for Central Park compared to the 80s, which had a string of medium winters that probably weren't terrible out there. Definitely a bit more consistency in the 80s and I know Nassau got over 2' in the Feb 1983 storm.

How did LI do in 71-72, by the way? That was a decent year here...

Yeah the 70s had a streak of horrible winters for the NYC area...72-73 was totally snowless, 74-75 and 75-76 probably sucked bad on LI too...but I'm sure 77-78 brings the average up a lot for Central Park compared to the 80s, which had a string of medium winters that probably weren't terrible out there. Definitely a bit more consistency in the 80s and I know Nassau got over 2' in the Feb 1983 storm.

Brookhaven is one of the few reliable climate records; I'll refer you to their chart...

http://www.bnl.gov/weather/4cast/MonthlySnowfall.htm

The most disruptive stretch of winter weather was this year and i'm glad we all enjoyed it together it was simply stunning, i told my kids they experienced a probably once in a lifetime experience for NYC without a question see ya.

Until next year in winter 2011-2012 when we reach or exceed this year.

We got killed by the torch winters of 87-88, 88-89 and 89-90..... 86-87 wasnt good on the ego either, with most of the good snows just south of us.

Archived