Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
february 20-21st winter storm

earthlight

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm gonna go to sleep now as well. The snow shut off here with that dry slot, but hopefully starts up again soon. I can see it buiding south a touch in western Jersey, but will it be enough for northerm Middlesex county? Boy it's gonna be close ... we're gonna be near the edge. Hopefully I'll wake up to a solid 3 inches, but I'm nervous being right near the cutoff. At least I've gotten a nice inch so far ... looks great out there. Everyone have a great morning.

Snowing pretty decently in Port Jeff at half past four. Began the day with 53.6" on the season and of course hoping to reach 5 feet. Nearby Islip, 9 miles to my SSW, began the day with 49.9", and with snow falling, will now apparenly avoid everlasting ignominy...

Up to an inch here. Snowing heavily. Going to bed because even though it President's day I need to do some work. Listening to Green Day. Sums up the weather. In their words-- "it's something unpredictable but in the end it's right I hope you had the time of your life!!" Looking forward to waking up to some good snow. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

It always seems to snow at night...granted it's night 63% of the time on 12/21...but still...measurable snow cover survived for 57 straight days out here...and will apparently live to see another day.

It always seems to snow at night...granted it's night 63% of the time on 12/21...but still...measurable snow cover survived for 57 straight days out here...and will apparently live to see another day.

Truly amazing william....winter reminds me alot of 93-94...from what i remember

GFS and NAM verifying about 50 miles too far south with axis of developing precipitation over KS/MO/IL. HRRR has a much better handle. This is the developing system whose precip. is forecast by NAM/GFS to pass south of the NYC area tonight, but it needs to be watched carefully. I think the northern edge of accumulating snow will make it at least to Monmouth/Middlesex counties tonight and perhaps even to EWR/JFK.

Truly amazing william....winter reminds me alot of 93-94...from what i remember

Tim, was just considering that winter this morning...memory of it is not so good because that was the year I moved and a lot of other things were going on...main recollections were two moderate snowstorms in December, lots of ice and about 10" of snow in January with sub-zero cold, 20 - 30 inches of snow in February across the Island punctuated by the "double" storm early in the month, and a reasonably snowy March. Also, sharpest north / south gradient for snowfall on the Island in some time...North Shore around 60", South Shore around 40".

GFS and NAM verifying about 50 miles too far south with axis of developing precipitation over KS/MO/IL. HRRR has a much better handle. This is the developing system whose precip. is forecast by NAM/GFS to pass south of the NYC area tonight, but it needs to be watched carefully. I think the northern edge of accumulating snow will make it at least to Monmouth/Middlesex counties tonight and perhaps even to EWR/JFK.

fwiw new gfs 06z confirms your thoughts on what might happen tonight.....gets the accumlating snow up to middlesex county and light snow into nyc

Tim, was just considering that winter this morning...memory of it is not so good because that was the year I moved and a lot of other things were going on...main recollections were two moderate snowstorms in December, lots of ice and about 10" of snow in January with sub-zero cold, 20 - 30 inches of snow in February across the Island punctuated by the "double" storm early in the month, and a reasonably snowy March. Also, sharpest north / south gradient for snowfall on the Island in some time...North Shore around 60", South Shore around 40".

I enjoyed that winter, but 95-96 was FAR better. At the end of 93-94 I was thinking how much more than the 47" I got could have been without all that mixing and changeover nonsense.

JConsor, Im seeing some forecasts of 1-3 inches for the south shore being talked about Monday Night - Tuesday Morning.

That winter, unlike this one had many warm-ups.

Yeah with me being so young at the time i dont remember the start-finish of that winter....but was sticks out as the same is the long lasting snow cover, bruta ljanuary, the two icing events, and febuary thaw.

I enjoyed that winter, but 95-96 was FAR better. At the end of 93-94 I was thinking how much more than the 47" I got could have been without all that mixing and changeover nonsense.

93/94 was way better as you went north and got into SE NY, the Poconos, and SNE. Those areas were closest to the PV in the intense overrunning/+NAO pattern...The South Shore wasn't the best place to be in that type of pattern.

Steady snow here, really looking great outside. Radar is sweet Snowman.gif

93/94 was way better as you went north and got into SE NY, the Poconos, and SNE. Those areas were closest to the PV in the intense overrunning/+NAO pattern...The South Shore wasn't the best place to be in that type of pattern.

I wouldnt have liked it in the city either lol. Im a big fan of the BIG DOG, so the Feb storms of 1994 wouldnt have satisfied me like Jan 1996 did, which, when you think about it, was a super HECS..... I also like April snowstorms, and 1996 had that too, as well as accumulating snow every month from November through April. I dont mind the big melt off that happened in Jan 1996, because Im not much for long duration snowcover-- I just like seeing snow fall from the sky. Snow looks really dirty around here if its on the ground more than a week or so. I'd rank 93-94 5th as of now, behind 95-96, 02-03, 10-11 and 09-10 for this area anyway. For the Poconos it was #1, I know because I went up there that winter and whole houses were buried LOL. I still would have liked to see one storm dump 2 feet areawide-- I think you need that in a truly great winter.

Stands out as very close to Boston's greatest winter on record...

I wouldnt have liked it in the city either lol. Im a big fan of the BIG DOG, so the Feb storms of 1994 wouldnt have satisfied me like Jan 1996 did, which, when you think about it, was a super HECS..... I also like April snowstorms, and 1996 had that too, as well as accumulating snow every month from November through April. I dont mind the big melt off that happened in Jan 1996, because Im not much for long duration snowcover-- I just like seeing snow fall from the sky. Snow looks really dirty around here if its on the ground more than a week or so.

93-94 is sort of similar to 10-11 up here...lots of moderate snowfalls but no monster HECS. We've had 13", 14.5", and 14" for the three major storms this winter in Dobbs Ferry, which is a bit more exciting than 93-94 but not a true HECS like the 26" with the 2/25 Snowicane or the 20" in February 2006. The thing is this winter has had nearly constant cold which has made the deep snowpack in the nature preserve behind my house wonderful. Over 2 months of cover in there, incredible. We also had a mega epic stretch this winter between December 26th and February 2nd, just nearly constant snowstorms, ice storms, and cold outbreaks. 93-94 and 95-96 seemed a bit more spaced out, especially the latter.

93-94 is sort of similar to 10-11 up here...lots of moderate snowfalls but no monster HECS. We've had 13", 14.5", and 14" for the three major storms this winter in Dobbs Ferry, which is a bit more exciting than 93-94 but not a true HECS like the 26" with the 2/25 Snowicane or the 20" in February 2006. The thing is this winter has had nearly constant cold which has made the deep snowpack in the nature preserve behind my house wonderful. Over 2 months of cover in there, incredible. We also had a mega epic stretch this winter between December 26th and February 2nd, just nearly constant snowstorms, ice storms, and cold outbreaks. 93-94 and 95-96 seemed a bit more spaced out, especially the latter.

We had a huge melt off in late Jan 1994, I remember it got into the mid 50s with a cutter from HELL, that brought SE storm force winds into the area. Then there was another melt off after the twin Feb 1994 storms. I dont remember if there were any other thaws that winter, but those two really stand out. For duration of cold though, that winter is right up there with 03-04 and this one.... and that winter had peak cold that hasnt been matched since. It sucks though when you have subzero weather with bare ground-- one reason Im really glad I dont remember 76-77; I would have hated that winter lol.

We had a huge melt off in late Jan 1994, I remember it got into the mid 50s with a cutter from HELL, that brought SE storm force winds into the area. Then there was another melt off after the twin Feb 1994 storms. I dont remember if there were any other thaws that winter, but those two really stand out. For duration of cold though, that winter is right up there with 03-04 and this one.... and that winter had peak cold that hasnt been matched since. It sucks though when you have subzero weather with bare ground-- one reason Im really glad I dont remember 76-77; I would have hated that winter lol.

Yes, the consistency of the cold in this winter is unmatched by 93-94, but 93-94 had a more severe outbreak at its height. I really enjoyed the fact that we were in a constantly wintry regime from 12/14 to 2/2, however; every day was a chance to track a new storm and get excited about another period of arctic cold and deep snow cover....I don't like "breaks" in the winter as those cutters in the 94 winter were.

76-77 was a pretty dry winter here, cold would have been phenomenal to see though, talk about brutal. And a trip to the Tug Hill would have solved your snow craving, if you could get there Snowman.gif

Hooker, NY had 467" that winter. That's just unreal.

The February thaw was the week of the 20th, I was in Florida and it was in the low 90s there consistently which is rare for February....Caribou set their all time record high for February of 59 that week.

Most days were just cold and dry that winter...lot of bright sunshine and not much snow...it didn't snow much in the seventies around here.

Archived