12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
february 20-21st winter storm

earthlight

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some on and off flurries here, Dry air tough, but should wettin' up soon, I hope.

The radar looks totally awesome upstream. The I-80 corridor of PA is getting absolutely hammered with 30dbz returns...I wouldn't be surprised if this storm was an overachiever. Should see several hours of heavy snow in NYC metro later tonight.

The radar looks totally awesome upstream. The I-80 corridor of PA is getting absolutely hammered with 30dbz returns...I wouldn't be surprised if this storm was an overachiever. Should see several hours of heavy snow in NYC metro later tonight.

agree, radar is looking fine out there.

http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/hrrrconus/jsloop.cgi?dsKeys=hrrr:&runTime=2011022104&plotName=cref_sfc&fcstInc=60&numFcsts=16&model=hrrr&ptitle=HRRRModelFields&maxFcstLen=15&resizePlot=1&domain=full&wjet=1

hrrr picking up things nicely, and throwing it all at us later.

00z NMM clown map...jesus

well, that is indeed a clown map, and until I see an end to the downsloping I will remain skeptical of any model no matter how close to or in an event we are

however, I will say that the backbuilding in SW PA is encouraging

on another note, can anyone tell me why State College radar is still in clear air mode/

It is the wrong map...from this morning's 12z run....see how it says 48hrs to 12z Tuesday...that means it was prepared at 12z Sunday.

If yours says valid 12z Tue, ignore it...I think it just un-uploaded the image. But it was nice, I promise. Not as nice as 12z, but still nice.

:lol:

All right. My WRF map is out to 24 hours, and like you said, it is nice, though not as nice as 12z..

Nice low/mid level frontogenesis ongoing with the main snow area.

SREF shows this well and looks like it has NYC getting into its best snows over the next few hours before ending well before noon.

I would say based on this, the amounts talked about (2-5) still seems fine.

post-736-0-66511200-1298271108.gif

post-736-0-69395400-1298271117.gif

post-736-0-41862500-1298271125.gif

post-736-0-79950400-1298271131.gif

post-736-0-19843000-1298271138.gif

The temperature drops quickly once the precipitation arrives since dewpoints are low. What you need to be looking at right now is the dewpoint, not the actual temperature. I went from 35/14 to 32/26 in a hurry once the accumulating snows started here in Westchester. It's not having trouble sticking at all here, except to paved surfaces which will be covered later in the storm. Still liking a 4-6" call for the NW suburbs with 3-5" in NYC proper.

Nzucker-- You always seems to have much more significant snows at your house and you are 15 miles or so from me. I have a dusting at best. I am at 30.2 and a dewpoint of 18. Hardly what you are reporting. Amazing!!

Nzucker-- You always seems to have much more significant snows at your house and you are 15 miles or so from me. I have a dusting at best. I am at 30.2 and a dewpoint of 18. Hardly what you are reporting. Amazing!!

Well, I only have 1/4 inch so it's nothing to write home about. Snow has really slackened after the initial burst about an hour ago.

Generally, Southern Westchester has done better this year...Snowlover11 has measured like 70" on the season, whereas I've only measured 58". I assume you have like 50" up there. The Boxing Day Storm and 1/28 snowstorm both had better banding in NYC than in Westchester, as amounts really trailed off once you got further north into the County. So there's been multiple snowstorms in which Southern Westchester has outperformed Northern Westchester...I measure pretty conservatively so I'm fairly confident we've had at least 58" here.

It's just one of those years, unfortunately for you guys up there. You'll beat people right on the NYC border most seasons, however...the marginal events start to add up over the years where places like Ossining and Croton get a good front-end dump while it's mostly a mix/rain down here. You and I probably average about the same seasonal snowfall, however...I'm at 350', and this is a good spot to have elevation given we get a lot of big coastals that hammer Southern Westchester/NYC. The downtown Dobbs Ferry co-op has averaged 36"/season since its inception in 1947, so I'm figuring my house averages 38-39". The best spots in Westchester are definitely the 700-800' ridges up near Mahopac and Yorktown Heights which certainly see over 40" per year.

Archived