• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
february 20-21st winter storm

earthlight

Snowing pretty heavy now up to a 1/4 of an inch. It's awesome no matter what we get. It's just great to see some snow. I hope this is not the last one. Enjoy! happy.gif

I'm sure we'll get more snow...winter never ends in Westchester on February 20th. I wouldn't be surprised if we have one more big storm and a couple more minor events to enjoy, but I'm still treating this one as if it were the last since the next few systems look to cut towards the Great Lakes.

Yeah, regardless of the subforums it has been very quiet in here lately. I think everybody is just tired--we had a 30 day period where we were literally tracking storms hardcore every single day. I think we had a few days of boring after Dec 26 but it wasn't long. The Jan 10 storm was on the map within a few days.

December 26th-February 2nd was an intense period of tracking for sure...Boxing Day Blizzard, 1/8 Norlun, 1/12 snowstorm, SW flow on 1/18, weak coastal right afterwards, major snowstorm on 1/27, ice storm on 2/2. That was one of the most wintry periods I've ever seen in NYC metro, we literally had four weeks with over a foot on the ground and like 10 days with two feet on the ground; it seemed as if we had temporarily moved to Northern New England with all the storms and the big arctic outbreak. Having said that, winter only lasts for a few months and I don't follow the severe weather very carefully in summertime, so I always try to keep up with the tracking during the winter. I'm surprised there's not more people in here given that tomorrow is President's Day which means that most folks don't have to work. I'm thinking this could be a nice surprise for the area with widespread 4" amounts and some places getting 6-7".

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So on 2/22/08 we had about 85 people on awaiting what we thought would be 2-5 inches....now awaiting 2-5 inches we have 24...shows you what a 60 inch snow winter will do...

Wow, you remember how many people were in a thread 3 years ago..... that has to be the best feat of memory I've ever seen lol. I remember being here that night and I was just waiting to jump on board when the snow started coming down at a decent rate.

Enjoy it boys and girls because we have a mini reliving of 2/6/10 upcoming tomorrow night.

I told you that might happen lol. The consolation is that isnt much of an event even for the places that get "hit." I got about 2" on 2/6/10 so if we get that again, it will be a nice addition to whats happening tonight.

I told you that might happen lol. The consolation is that isnt much of an event even for the places that get "hit." I got about 2" on 2/6/10 so if we get that again, it will be a nice addition to whats happening tonight.

Actually, it's a pretty big event for some folks in South-Central PA, Maryland and West Virgina; some areas will undoubtedly see 6-10" from tomorrow night's storm, which is already forming on radar over Kansas and Missouri.

Here's total QPF for that event from the 6z NAM:

The NAM may be a bit overdone but the second wave is probably the juicier of the two for the Northeast.

Up here in ORH we have about a half inch so far with 1"/hour rates right now. Ripping, nice little 25 dbz jackpot over my back yard.

I woke up as this band was coming through ...:guitar:

Awesome stuff bud.

Our visibilities just dropped big time--it looks great out there. Flakes have improved dramatically too.

But look at the sharp cutoff on that radar. In southern Somerset and Middlesex counties, there's almost nothing falling. I don't like that little north shift in the last few frames. I'm gonna be right on the edge here in northern Middlesex county. Just a tiny shift north, and I'm out of the snow.

Anyway, it has been snowing steadily and I'm closing in on an inch. Looks great out there with the wet snow coating the trees. It hasn't been able to stick on the road though, with the temp hanging right around the freezing mark.

But look at the sharp cutoff on that radar. In southern Somerset and Middlesex counties, there's almost nothing falling. I don't like that little north shift in the last few frames. I'm gonna be right on the edge here in northern Middlesex county. Just a tiny shift north, and I'm out of the snow.

I'm not too worried about it, at least at my locale. I think the stuff coming back in over Western NJ looks great. We may lose intensity for a while but it will pick back up.

Actually, it's a pretty big event for some folks in South-Central PA, Maryland and West Virgina; some areas will undoubtedly see 6-10" from tomorrow night's storm, which is already forming on radar over Kansas and Missouri.

Here's total QPF for that event from the 6z NAM:

The NAM may be a bit overdone but the second wave is probably the juicier of the two for the Northeast.

You mean the lower mid atlantic lol. By the looks of it, that isnt coming anywhere near the northeast-- although I've seen forecasts of 1-3 inches for this area monday night into tuesday morning. Think this trends north?

marked increase in intensity the past few minutes. dry slot is near per the latest radar loop--let's see if it gets here. most high resolution models have it at least kissing my area...but we then quickly go back into good precipitation.

This season has had the most savable imagery of any winter since Ive been on this board. Lots of great wallpapers :thumbsup:

Yeah I see back around Allentown, the snow is trying to build south a bit. So hopefully any break here won't last too long.

just woke up...that one last band really slushed everything up that was wet...have about a inch on the grass....and slushy coating on driveways and sidewalk......side street trying to turn white.....hope this break does not last to long...going out to salt at 5am

just woke up...that one last band really slushed everything up that was wet...have about a inch on the grass....and slushy coating on driveways and sidewalk......side street trying to turn white.....hope this break does not last to long...going out to salt at 5am

Same here. My street was just starting to turn white, but now the break hit. Only flurries. An inch on the grass.

Archived