• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Changed: Coastal event of 6Z 2/21 GFS 2/25 event

Mikehobbyst

NYC area and LI: Looks like 8-12 inch event supported by the 6Z Model. Trending in the right direction for a major snowfall. -EPO does supoort the major snowfall, so do not laugh at this outcome for this Friday. I think the ECMWF will show possible MECS potential on this afternoon run and abandon the cutter which makes no sense in current and mid range pattern. East coast track is the correct forecast with surface features for Friday with the Arctic high influencing all of Canada with us on the eastern edge of the Arctic air bleeding in Thursday night. 6Z GFS makes very clear sense with the pattern at that time, not just a wish cast for snow. This can really happen and the chance is much greater than most think. We will probably have to suffer one cutter with rain,but that would be later and not in the early to mid range. Any blocking would give us a nice potential HECS pattern in the bag for the next few weeks, but we take what we get and if blocking comes back look out !!!

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really. The vort coming out of the sw was much stronger compared to 18z and without any blocking or a 50/50, thats going to be enough to WAA us to rain

One of the keys to getting the Friday storm to be colder is having more amplification from the second wave of the coming system. If that 2nd wave can amplify more, it will knock down heights on the East Coast and allow the next shortwave to pass south of us or directly over us, instead of tracking near the Apps. Although it looks like a long shot for a major snow, we could definitely have a snow to mix/ice to rain scenario if we get that amplification and thus have more cold air in place with less ridging at 500mb. The raging +NAO argues for more of a SWFE when it is combined with the -PNA; however, the fact that the +NAO includes a potent vortex over Baffin Island/Northern Quebec means we have lots of access to arctic air with a banana high attempting to form over Canada. To me, this looks like a great storm for the ski resorts in Northern New England, but NYC and NW suburbs especially, could see some mixing or front-end snow.

Any word on the 00z ECMWF for Friday?

The 0z ECM is a disaster for this system....it goes from 996mb near Kansas City to 992mb near Cleveland, exits through NNE...mostly a rain event for the East Coast it would appear.

Day 7 storm on the ECM is 994mb over the Illinois/Indiana border, another cutter with mostly rain for the East Coast.

Chicago gets 1.14" QPF all snow from the first system, and may get something more from the second storm. Record-breaking winter from Chicago to Minneapolis.

The 0z ECM is a disaster for this system....it goes from 996mb near Kansas City to 992mb near Cleveland, exits through NNE...mostly a rain event for the East Coast it would appear.

Day 7 storm on the ECM is 994mb over the Illinois/Indiana border, another cutter with mostly rain for the East Coast.

Chicago gets 1.14" QPF all snow from the first system, and may get something more from the second storm. Record-breaking winter from Chicago to Minneapolis.

Our winter is pretty close to record breaking too.

FWIW JB is going with the Euro... won't see this guy :snowman: on this one

I would lean towards the warmer/further north ECM, but I think it could be a major snow event for parts of New England, ski country.

This storm was also supposed to be a rainy cutter, so we'll see what happens. As we've learned this season, 120 hours out is a long ways when you have fast flow in a Niña and complex interactions with the polar vortex over Canada.

I've been watching this little guy for a few days, and it's definitly been trending in the right direction for some time now (at least on GFS). I guess we'll see what happens, but it looks like something to keep an eye on at least.

This is an Appalachians cutter, no two ways about it.

Archived