joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Changed: Coastal event of 6Z 2/21 GFS 2/25 event

Mikehobbyst

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like the SE Ridge goes bye bye in the March 3-6 range-- the analogs (specifically March 1956) supports this, the AO looks like it might go negative towards the end of this period, and it's mentioned by Don S also.

Alex, we gotta get the block (neg NAO AND the AO), before we can get March 1956.

This is not a setup that favors a snow event for the NYC area, in no way shape or form. Unlike other unfavorable setups at H5 that have produced snow this event has no comparisons. There is no strong polar vortex, no Canadian hp, no strong confluence, and no large +PNA out west.

If it wasn't for that pesky SE ridge, this thing would have a much a better chance. That ridge is preventing the trough from going negative. FWIW, virtually no support on the latest analogs for a snow storm out to 120hrs.

Huh? You don't want the trough to go negative in this pattern because you would get strong WAA and a storm cutting to our west. The only time a negative trough is favorable is when the h5 pattern is supportive with a large Canadian high and 50/50 block. In this pattern if the trough goes negative, we are going to toast even more. Need the low to remain progressive and flat, even then I still think it will be to warm.

Sorry if I came off as extremely anti-snow, such is not the case. I am actually a snow lover and try to be as optimistic as possible, but I won't skew the facts. If there is something in the pattern that gives me reason to believe that snow might occur, even with an overall unfavorable setup, I would hold out hope. This was the case for Jan 26 when although overall the h5 pattern was not supportive, I saw some factors that were encouraging, and called for a snowstorm. Unfortunately for Friday this is not the case. There is not anything remotely supportive about this pattern that could allow me to argue in favor of snow.

You're probably right though..especially near the coast...the surface is likely torching in that setup. Regardless of what the model may show, synoptically..the setup absolutely stinks. There is little support for snow.

Edit...speak of the devil, just looked at the surface..it's just too warm for snow most likely.

Anyway, the shortwave is much better positioned and weaker. The euro is driving this thing inland with a stronger shortwave which pumps up the SE ridge heights.

f102.gif

You must be kidding me, did you make out poorly for last nights snow event? You sound bitter...

The WAA ahead to LP is substantial and the depth of the warming is significant. Winds out of the SW ahead of the event on the Canadian warm the surface greatly. That solution in no way, shape, or form looks conducive for significant snows. Like I said verbatim in the city it would probably be rain, and once the column eventually overcame the warming and cooled, some snow, but nothing significant.

You must be kidding me, did you make out poorly for last nights snow event? You sound bitter...

The WAA ahead to LP is substantial and the depth of the warming is significant. Winds out of the SW ahead of the event on the Canadian warm the surface greatly. That solution in no way, shape, or form looks conducive for significant snows. Like I said verbatim in the city it would probably be rain, and once the column eventually overcame the warming and cooled, some snow, but nothing significant.

See my post above.

50 degrees and warm sectored at 18z Friday on the Euro

Yea I was going to say earlier that there is a greater chance of temperatures exceeding 50 degrees on Friday then us seeing snow. And I agree with your assessment that the pattern is not supportive of snow on Friday. But not all hope is lost, I think a few more opportunities remain. Still thinking we get a good storm in March.

See my post above.

Just saw it sorry. But seriously how did you make out last night? 1-3? Secondly a bit off topic but the forecasts down here are absurd. In my opinion seems like a widespread 3-6 event with someone in Western MD going to see 7-11.

Archived