• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Changed: Coastal event of 6Z 2/21 GFS 2/25 event

Mikehobbyst

I'm not suprised the Euro is warm, its been on the warm side of guidance all winter. These bowling ball lows never seem to work well anyway. If only that SE ridge was gone, this would be a beautiful setup.

Not really. Maybe with some higher hgts over Greenland, some sort of NEG NAO, maybe a positive PNA then one could say that. In this pattern a cutter is inevitable until changes occur aloft. The setup at H5 is horrid. But you bring up a good point. These storms are important in the respect that they convolute the pattern up north, and bring about some changes. It is possible that we could revert back to a more favorable pattern with blocking like we saw earlier in the winter if these interior storms alter the setup at H5. I think chances are good that the pattern will become more supportive past March 3rd. I agree with those calling for increased blocking, -EPO, neutral/pos PNA, etc. I think there is an increased chance for a March snowstorm this winter.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While everybody is watching the heavy snow just missing us to our south, 00Z GFS tonight has again trended south and east and takes the Friday low to just south of LI and then ne over Cape Cod and on out. What causes this to happen and needs to be watched is a s/w moving e-ward across Canada that brings the nose of cold hp e-ward into the Great Lakes and toward New England helping to supress this storm to our south and supply some cold air. Though it is still warm enough for rain in the cities and at the coast, the r/s line sets up over NJ and se NY State and really not that far to our nw. Only a small shift further south and east and there would be snow all the way to the coast. In addition, the 00Z GGEM has continued its tracking of this storm to our south and east and is mainly a snowstorm with some rain or a mix only at the start.

WX/PT

I think it's telling that the GGEM and GFS both trended a little weaker with the northern stream shortwave over eastern Canada, and that the GFS ensembles are much warmer and further west than the operational GFS.

In any case, snow is unlikely in this scenario for the metro NYC area (aside from areas far NW like Orange County) given the warm air aloft in place ahead of the system. I think a compromise of the GFS/Canadian and ECMWF is the most likely scenario - which would still mean rain for nearly all of the NYC metro area, but with temps holding in the mid-upper 40s in NYC on Fri instead of shooting well into the 50s.

While everybody is watching the heavy snow just missing us to our south, 00Z GFS tonight has again trended south and east and takes the Friday low to just south of LI and then ne over Cape Cod and on out. What causes this to happen and needs to be watched is a s/w moving e-ward across Canada that brings the nose of cold hp e-ward into the Great Lakes and toward New England helping to supress this storm to our south and supply some cold air. Though it is still warm enough for rain in the cities and at the coast, the r/s line sets up over NJ and se NY State and really not that far to our nw. Only a small shift further south and east and there would be snow all the way to the coast. In addition, the 00Z GGEM has continued its tracking of this storm to our south and east and is mainly a snowstorm with some rain or a mix only at the start.

WX/PT

I think it's telling that the GGEM and GFS both trended a little weaker with the northern stream shortwave over eastern Canada, and that the GFS ensembles are much warmer and further west than the operational GFS.

In any case, snow is unlikely in this scenario for the metro NYC area (aside from areas far NW like Orange County) given the warm air aloft in place ahead of the system. I think a compromise of the GFS/Canadian and ECMWF is the most likely scenario - which would still mean rain for nearly all of the NYC metro area, but with temps holding in the mid-upper 40s in NYC on Fri instead of shooting well into the 50s.

What does the 0z ECM show?

Primary low into Ohio, temps surge into the upper 40s. This will not be a snowstorm for NYC.

Yeah the set-up looks pretty putrid with the -PNA and little blocking on the Atlantic side. Looks as if all the cold air stays behind the storm. I'm hoping this sets up for a good threat around March 1st, however. You know the old rule: first storm north, second storm south.

Yeah the set-up looks pretty putrid with the -PNA and little blocking on the Atlantic side. Looks as if all the cold air stays behind the storm. I'm hoping this sets up for a good threat around March 1st, however. You know the old rule: first storm north, second storm south.

it works, just take a look at today's storm...:thumbsup::rolleyes: the GFS does bring numerous threats to the NE but they're mostly rain, but there's plenty of time...:weight_lift:

WX/PT

That explains the 2 stars on your blog for 24 -25th- BTW Alan Kasper this morning has only mentioned rain Friday for all of NJ.........

6z GFS still a pretty good snowstorm for Litchfield County, northern Fairfield County, and NW Jersey Thursday / Friday.

9z SREF is a somewhat warmer solution.

With even the coldest guidance looking like rain for NYC, it doesnt look good...but you never know.

That explains the 2 stars on your blog for 24 -25th- BTW Alan Kasper this morning has only mentioned rain Friday for all of NJ.........

I love Alan. He's been great for many years but he has been utterly putrid this winter. Do I think it still rains, yeah, but Alan saying so is not saying much not this winter.

One interesting note from the analogs, they don't really support a "bowling ball" scenario track. Most of the snow events listed brought snows well up into northern New England.

http://www.eas.slu.edu/CIPS/ANALOG/thumbnails.php?reg=EAST&model=GFS212&fhr=072&flg=new&map=COSN&sort=500HGHT

12z NAM shifted east. looks more similar to the gfs.

Not surprising. The general February storm track and circulation usually does not support a track towards the Great Lakes...

Nobody likes what the gfs has been offering?

I'm really surprised that this thread isn't alot more active. The trend continues to be further and further south and east. 12Z GFS run, low tracks to off Delmarva--almost to Hatteras and 850s are good for the entire NYC Metro region. What more could you want? Wake up! This looks like a snowstorm folks. At least a mix changing to all snow with accumulations likely.

WX/PT

I think most people were assuming the GFS would cave to the Euro today. I for one thought it would be the other way around. We await to see what the Euro has to offer but if anything, the GFS just moved even further away from the Euro. I've been spending alot of time today on the New England thread because its alot more active up there at the moment and they have quite a few good mets. Most of them are shocked by the 12z GFS. 0.75"+ frozen, sign me up for that :thumbsup:

Looking at this sounding at hour 78, WAA is taking place at 850-700, and there is a warm notch 950-1000mb. At hour 84 the warm layer is still there at 950-1000mb. It will be a sloppy mix for the coast. This however will change many times, and is not that far off from a pure snow event.

Not surprising. The general February storm track and circulation usually does not support a track towards the Great Lakes...

At no time of year is the general storm track more supressed than right around now. Based just on climatology there was a lot of support for this thing to trend SE.

Looking at this sounding at hour 78, WAA is taking place at 850-700, and there is a warm notch 950-1000mb. At hour 84 the warm layer is still there at 950-1000mb. It will be a sloppy mix for the coast.

It won't be anything since it's still 78+ hours out. People get burned when they speak in absolutes.

I think most people were assuming the GFS would cave to the Euro today. I for one thought it would be the other way around. We await to see what the Euro has to offer but if anything, the GFS just moved even further away from the Euro. I've been spending alot of time today on the New England thread because its alot more active up there at the moment and they have quite a few good mets. Most of them are shocked by the 12z GFS. 0.75"+ frozen, sign me up for that :thumbsup:

Sometimes I look and just do not get what folks are looking at. There is no sharp trough here. The flow is almost flat, definitely progressive. The low deepens VERY slowly. And ther northern stream feature streaks out ahead dragging the nose of the next arctic HP e-ward toward the Lakes and then New England and that northern stream feature becomes almost a pseudo 50/50. Why would this cut to the left? I see NO justicification for it. King EC will cave to the GFS--watch!!

WX/PT

I still think a compromise between the extremes of the GFS and ECMWF is in order. Yes, the flow is relatively flat and progressive, but the fact that there is a highly positive tilt trough from near Manitoba to off the Oregon coast will tend to cause height rises over the SE US and push the Fri system further north.

Sometimes I look and just do not get what folks are looking at. There is no sharp trough here. The flow is almost flat, definitely progressive. The low deepens VERY slowly. And ther northern stream feature streaks out ahead dragging the nose of the next arctic HP e-ward toward the Lakes and then New England and that northern stream feature becomes almost a pseudo 50/50. Why would this cut to the left? I see NO justicification for it. King EC will cave to the GFS--watch!!

WX/PT

I still think a compromise between the extremes of the GFS and ECMWF is in order. Yes, the flow is relatively flat and progressive, but the fact that there is a highly positive tilt trough from near Manitoba to off the Oregon coast will tend to cause height rises over the SE US and push the Fri system further north.

GGEM is a cutter a la EURO.

Archived