• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Return of winter.....let's rock to the records..2/20-25.

weathafella

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tell me how I'm wrong...unless you're basing your forecast soley on the outlier Euro whose own ensembles don't support the op

Its funny how the EURO is god if it shows cold/snow (even if it is out there on its own with no support), but if its showing warmth then toss it.

I agree that its likely wrong, but I would say that even if was showing a cold/snowy long range solution with no support. Its always comical to me how we pick and chose when to use certain models depending on the amount of cold/snow they show, lol.

Its funny how the EURO is god if it shows cold/snow (even if it is out there on its own with no support), but if its showing warmth then toss it.

I agree that its likely wrong, but I would say that even if was showing a cold/snowy long range solution with no support. Its always comical to me how we pick and chose when to use certain models depending on the amount of cold/snow they show, lol.

A couple of weeks ago the EURO was giving us a snowstorm @ 48hrs out and many of us were still weary of a rainer.... it ended up as rain.

A couple of weeks ago the EURO was giving us a snowstorm @ 48hrs out and many of us were still weary of a rainer.... it ended up as rain.

Oh I know, I'm just poking fun. If the EURO was showing cold and snow though in the long range, you know we'd be riding that regardless of what the other models show.

This just hasn't been the best winter for dear ol' ECMWF... it has gotten its arse handed to it several times.

Though they avg colder, we are more risistent to major torches if that makes sense....we can have one index save us, since we are in the NE corner.

I know the Chicago climo well..have spent many a day there in all seasons. Bottom line is they are famous for a plethora of 1-3, 2-4, 3-6, 4-8 but the big events are rare. So when they torch...good bye snow. And we being east of the apps can hold onto low level cold much to our dismay in June.

I know the Chicago climo well..have spent many a day there in all seasons. Bottom line is they are famous for a plethora of 1-3, 2-4, 3-6, 4-8 but the big events are rare. So when they torch...good bye snow. And we being east of the apps can hold onto low level cold much to our dismay in June.

Yea.

Though they avg colder, we are more risistent to major torches if that makes sense....we can have one index save us, since we are in the NE corner.

Yeah, the midwest is not very resistant to torches at all... there's nothing stopping warmth from surging northward. No mountains, ocean, or any other geographic barrier to stop Texas heat from blasting north into the Great Lakes region.

Good question. Intuitively one would think so as all other solid objects around cool off.

anyone know this. how easily does a ripened snowpack of 12-18 inches cool off. or can it?

bigger dentrite's falling now.

i wonder if a ripened snowpack is more difficult to hold new snow on. i.e 5 inches of fluff falling on a 25 degree snow pack isn't going anywhere. but 5 inches falling on a 32degree snowpack..?

anyone know this. how easily does a ripened snowpack of 12-18 inches cool off. or can it?

bigger dentrite's falling now.

i wonder if a ripened snowpack is more difficult to hold new snow on. i.e 5 inches of fluff falling on a 25 degree snow pack isn't going anywhere. but 5 inches falling on a 32degree snowpack..?

I will be right back, will grab the labs equipment, take some temps.

I disagree with the Boston/Chicago torch debate. Although it's difficult for Logan Airport to torch during the winter, my guess is there are more 50+ degrees during the winter in the immediate Boston area (617 area code....) than in Chicagoland.

Probably true, but the immediate Boston area is not indicative of most of New England's climo... BOS is probably one of the warmest spots in New England during the winter... aside from places like far SE MA and the coastal CT/RI areas.

Chicago to me seems like it would be closer to being indicative of the surrounding midwestern area climo, than BOS is to New England.

Probably true, but the immediate Boston area is not indicative of most of New England's climo... BOS is probably one of the warmest spots in New England during the winter... aside from places like far SE MA and the coastal CT/RI areas.

Chicago to me seems like it would be closer to being indicative of the surrounding midwestern area climo, than BOS is to New England.

No. Climo is solidly 3F colder than NYC and just looking at snow climo, is roughly similar to BDL but a few degrees warmer. Chicago only has more 50F days when the pattern indicates but Harveyleonardfan is correct (I think) in presuming they average less 50F days simply because Chicago is a colder (by a modest margin) place. -10F in Chicago is approached often. It's quite an event when it happens here.

Archived