• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Return of winter.....let's rock to the records..2/20-25.

weathafella

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, for a guy who drinks tea and enjoys Mass grown, you always seem amped up :P

How long does it take to hike up Greylock with skis and boots? Is Thunderbolt nasty?

I do it in about 75 minutes I guess. Never wear a watch. Don't have any pics from the last hike up as my friend took them that day and hasn't forwarded any. Some parts are very steep and there are a few easier sections but overall a good workout. About 2,100' vertical. I've been snowshoeing with skis on my back. It allows me to move up steeper pitches than i would be able to do skinning. Here's a photo essay Pete Nelson did in Jan. Fun trek but not for the faint of heart.

3-6", here....suppressed qpf fields are crap.

it's a tough call. there's merit to both ideas - suppressed vs more robust/coming north.

the mid-level lift is really organized and potent over PA/NY...they have a good burst of WAA and a really tight thermal gradient. if that can hold together and transition across the area most should make out well. hopefully it doesn't get squelched and become a disorganized mess as it runs across the region.

it's a tough call. there's merit to both ideas - suppressed vs more robust/coming north.

the mid-level lift is really organized and potent over PA/NY...they have a good burst of WAA and a really tight thermal gradient. if that can hold together and transition across the area most should make out well. hopefully it doesn't get squelched and become a disorganized mess as it runs across the region.

Its pretty rare for the southern tier of NY to get smoked and we don't get it as much on these isentropic lift systems, but maybe this is one of the few where it happens.

I still like the idea of high end advisory though for most of the area with someone getting lucky on a narrow 6-8" type stripe. Whether that is in CT or closer to this area remains to be seen. The PV lobe will help keeping it suppressed but on the flip side we have a stout SE ridge and the robust system in the plains to try and make this come north.

Like runs from other models the best dynamics are south of a lot of us.

We keep talking about this sneaking north as each run goes south.

Like we kept talking about the best QPF slipping s in your "split system", 12.5" later......

Mid levels looking good is enough for me to still expect a plowable snow, though I understand the concern over the PV.

Like we kept talking about the best QPF slipping s in your "split system", 12.5" later......

Mid levels looking good is enough for me to still expect a plowable snow, though I understand the concern over the PV.

I think an expectation of 3-5" with possibility of some 6"+ amounts in a stripe is pretty reasonable at this point. Even the uglier runs are giving us 2-3" but still have a signature in the mid-levels of something a bit better than that.

If we start seeing the best ML fronto over New Haven on all guidance by 12z tomorrow, then we can be concerned.

amazing that lone PV moving toward NNE is really the only thing making this a favorable squeeze play on monday and not a nasty runner up over the eastern lakes. and yet it's possible for some it hurts more than helps.

midrange models did well with the whole idea, showing the low running into the PV (save for a few hiccup runs) and getting pushed south. euro was outstading with this event showing the general idea from a week out it seems. euro has been excellent the last little while.

im quite pleased with the stable pattern of the PV on the models.....pretty obvious that i didnt need to waste anytime on this one from day one and it looks to workout that way.

I think an expectation of 3-5" with possibility of some 6"+ amounts in a stripe is pretty reasonable at this point. Even the uglier runs are giving us 2-3" but still have a signature in the mid-levels of something a bit better than that.

If we start seeing the best ML fronto over New Haven on all guidance by 12z tomorrow, then we can be concerned.

Exactly.

Archived