12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Beyond Winter Intermission

ski MRG

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got to admit I took the soft rake to the former snow pile zone yesterday. Get some of the sand off the lawn and expose the less white grass/better heating later.

One thing interesting....back in December a piece of plastic blew off the deck. Then it snowed and for 50 days it was buried. Yesterday I picked it up - grass underneath was many shades darker. Weird but obviously direct snow contact whitens the grass more than contact through thin plastic.

Windy today but I'm under a ridge to the wnw so I don't take that big a beating on the nw. But it's nasty in the bay.

I enjoyed the 50-60 degree weather. But now back to winter sports, skating on ponds etc.

What are you talking about? What is a "lawn"? What is "grass"? I just have this stuff everywhere (and some dog poop that i gotta move)

What are you talking about? What is a "lawn"? What is "grass"? I just have this stuff everywhere (and some dog poop that i gotta move)

One of the things that strikes me about most of the photos posted is how pete is an exception. By that I mean....I take my kids snowshoeing, sledding, x county skiing, we build igloos, snowmen, forts etc whenever we get snow. It surprises me how in 99% of the photos posted there are no footsteps, forts, signs of activity. When we get snow here it's a circus of activity....surprised that aside of pete and a few of kevins photos how few of the people here seem to get out and enjoy it. I'd be snowshoeing my ass off if I had that type of snow.

One of the things that strikes me about most of the photos posted is how pete is an exception. By that I mean....I take my kids snowshoeing, sledding, x county skiing, we build igloos, snowmen, forts etc whenever we get snow. It surprises me how in 99% of the photos posted there are no footsteps, forts, signs of activity. When we get snow here it's a circus of activity....surprised that aside of pete and a few of kevins photos how few of the people here seem to get out and enjoy it. I'd be snowshoeing my ass off if I had that type of snow.

Hubbdave is a skier.

2/22/08 had a confluence 5h low to our north but it wasn't a pv...more like a shortwave. But I'd be surprised if it didn't come north. Juicy systems off to our west love to bump the heights up a little more than models want to give them credit for.

Yeah those lows coming in from the Plains can sometimes nudge north in the final 24 hours..obviously you know that. I like to see them south of ORD usually. That's a decent track for snow many times, it's when they move in from Iowa and over into southern MI that make me nervous.

NAM is real juicy to the west. I would rather have this low move more east to west, like the euro had. That's a pretty good track for a nice swath of snow over most of sne. Plenty of cold too.

The other thing I'm noticing (and this is more for those with a qpf fetish), is that there seems to be a ton of mid level RH well ahead of that low, despite the qpf output. I could see that WAA snow a little more robust to the north, as compared to what models are spitting out.

Yup--full finter mode. Flurries to occasionally moderate snows this morning. Just got in from snowshoeing out back. Only one new tree down in the woods so far. Must have been a weak one. Sticks/branches littering everywhere--the only onsightly element.

Temp down to 24.2/14.

In contrast to the mid-winter conditions, heading to the RV show at the Big E today.

Hubbdave is a skier.

Yeah but I meant in yards. Maybe it's a function of kids/kids age but it looks like herds of buffalo moved through the snow here hours after it fell. I'm just surprised by how untouched most peoples yards are in all the photos. The kids around here would have snowfortresses everywhere, snowmen armies, etc. Maybe its that down here it's more rare and the novelty hasn't worn off.

Yeah those lows coming in from the Plains can sometimes nudge north in the final 24 hours..obviously you know that. I like to see them south of ORD usually. That's a decent track for snow many times, it's when they move in from Iowa and over into southern MI that make me nervous.

NAM is real juicy to the west. I would rather have this low move more east to west, like the euro had. That's a pretty good track for a nice swath of snow over most of sne. Plenty of cold too.

The other thing I'm noticing (and this is more for those with a qpf fetish), is that there seems to be a ton of mid level RH well ahead of that low, despite the qpf output. I could see that WAA snow a little more robust to the north, as compared to what models are spitting out.

I think I hear Scott calling my name.

Yeah but I meant in yards. Maybe it's a function of kids/kids age but it looks like herds of buffalo moved through the snow here hours after it fell. I'm just surprised by how untouched most peoples yards are in all the photos. The kids around here would have snowfortresses everywhere, snowmen armies, etc. Maybe its that down here it's more rare and the novelty hasn't worn off.

My backyard is a maze of dog/sledding trails

We also head into the woods.

For some reason, no one really went crazy in the front yard this year (depth?). Now it is frozen cement that the dog can't jump onto (maybe now since it is lower, but he prefers his trails).

My son has not really done the fort thing for whatever reason... Lastly, there has not been much in the way of good snowman/snow fort snow this season. Mostly powdery stuff...

I do actually have some spots of "grass" showing where I had gone with the snowblower to make a path for our oil gy, etc. Sad really

Clouding up now, some flakes, 27.1F

Yeah the mid-levels looks pretty good. You can see how the qpf has ramped up in central NY over the past 24h on the models. I think you'll see the same thing happen eastward as we get closer too. Its hard for models to over estimate the WAA most of the time.

Yeah the mid-levels looks pretty good. You can see how the qpf has ramped up in central NY over the past 24h on the models. I think you'll see the same thing happen eastward as we get closer too. Its hard for models to over estimate the WAA most of the time.

So you're steadfast on mixing with sleet south of the Pike? Even though it's not a true SWFE event

Was our last plowable event the 2-day pingfest?

Ill be curious to see how sharp...if at all...a gradient there is across ne ma/se nh etc. I cold envision some pretty solid qpf for some...but a quick tapering in a sw to ne fashion

Ill be curious to see how sharp...if at all...a gradient there is across ne ma/se nh etc. I cold envision some pretty solid qpf for some...but a quick tapering in a sw to ne fashion

If it moves to the ese, I could see that....but the models have a deformation area hanging pretty far to the north. If it's something like the euro has, I think many would be relatively happy. I like what I see overall. I kind of echo how Will feels, but luckily I think that PV will help keep it from tainting up to Will and I...hopefully.

In other news...I really don't want to see that mild spell next week.

If it moves to the ese, I could see that....but the models have a deformation area hanging pretty far to the north. If it's something like the euro has, I think many would be relatively happy. I like what I see overall. I kind of echo how Will feels, but luckily I think that PV will help keep it from tainting up to Will and I...hopefully.

In other news...I really don't want to see that mild spell next week.

yeah it should be an interesting battle. Lots to consider.

Archived