• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
How many KU storms have there been

CAT5ANDREW

I got my KU book on JAN 15 2005,a week before that winters big storm.There have been so many KU storms since then,I have lost track.I cant wait until Volume 3 is released.

I got volume one in November 1992...There were four KU storms the next four winters...Since 2005 we got,

Feb. 2006

Dec 2009

Feb 2010

Feb 2010

Dec 2010

Jan 2011

Jan 26-27 is on there as a prelim cat 1.

20110126-20110127-2.17-p.jpg

Odd, the cat is so low since that's the only one that hit the whole corridor. I guess its because there werent any official 20"+ amounts. Also nice to see how they incorporated the horrendously inaccurate JFK mismeasurement. :thumbsup:

KU don't have to include the NCDC NESIS storms in their list for the Volume 3, if it ever is written. There are several NCDC NESIS storms that would have not been on the actual list, but rather been put in the "Interior" list (2/12-15/07, 3/15-18/07), "moderate" list (3/1/09), or not included at all (2/1-3/11--primarily Midwest impact) according the criteria that KU used for their original list. 1/9-13/11 might not have been included at all either, several big New England impacts, like 12/20-22/75, were not included.

A KU storm is like a storm voted into the hall of fame...baseball's hall of fame is getting watered down with borderline players and KU events are getting watered down with borderline storms...The NYC area should have it's own snowstorm hall of fame...I would nominate 12/26-27 and 1/26-27 storms to be voted in...December's is a first ballot...

A KU storm is like a storm voted into the hall of fame...baseball's hall of fame is getting watered down with borderline players and KU events are getting watered down with borderline storms...The NYC area should have it's own snowstorm hall of fame...I would nominate 12/26-27 and 1/26-27 storms to be voted in...December's is a first ballot...

So you don't think Earl Combs belongs in the Hall of Fame? ;)

mby got 4" at most in March 09...

March 2009 was a pretty nice storm in Monmouth, had 13.5" IMBY.

Since 2005, I've had 9 storms producing 12"+, and 4 of those events were 18"+ (Jan 2005, Feb 2006, December 2009, December 2010). Remarkable stretch of big storms here over the past several years, and decade for that matter.

So you don't think Earl Combs belongs in the Hall of Fame? ;)

For the uninitiated, Combs played for the Yankees in the twenties and thirties...a comparable contemporary would be Mickey Rivers...

KU don't have to include the NCDC NESIS storms in their list for the Volume 3, if it ever is written. There are several NCDC NESIS storms that would have not been on the actual list, but rather been put in the "Interior" list (2/12-15/07, 3/15-18/07), "moderate" list (3/1/09), or not included at all (2/1-3/11--primarily Midwest impact) according the criteria that KU used for their original list. 1/9-13/11 might not have been included at all either, several big New England impacts, like 12/20-22/75, were not included.

I don't think they'd leave 1/9-13/11 out...while its true a lot of big New England-centric storms didn't make it, it was usually the storms with generally less than 18" amounts. Since Jan 12, 2011 had a large area of >20" and it didn't totally whiff the NJ/NYC area, it would probably be included. The Dec 1975 storm wasn't as prolific over most of the region as 1/12/11 was. Mar 31-Apr 1, 1997 and 2/22-28/69 are in there and they didn't give much outside of NE.

But you are right that a lot of the "NESIS" storms would not be cases...including the Feb 1-2, 2011 storm.

When I read that date...my first reaction was "Do they have the right year?"

I mean, you throw that one in...there are at least 50 others you have to throw in ahead of it...

I mean, you throw that one in...there are at least 50 others you have to throw in ahead of it...

Agreed...but I think the NESIS site has been rating every big storm since about 2006 or so...even if its impact on the northeast was fairly minimal. I do not think they have been retroactively rating storms that might beat storms like Feb 1-2, 2011. I could be wrong though.

Storms like Jan 7-9, 1994 I would think should be on there in that case. But again, I could be wrong.

Agreed...but I think the NESIS site has been rating every big storm since about 2006 or so...even if its impact on the northeast was fairly minimal. I do not think they have been retroactively rating storms that might beat storms like Feb 1-2, 2011. I could be wrong though.

Storms like Jan 7-9, 1994 I would think should be on there in that case. But again, I could be wrong.

The Blizzard of 1888 is on the list. I'm sure there were plenty of entirely obscure and forgotten snowstorms from 1889 -1900 that make the 2/2011 event look like a frontal passage...

The 2/25-26/2010 snowicane would make the NYC Hall of Snowstorm Fame but not NESIS or KU.

Odd, the cat is so low since that's the only one that hit the whole corridor. I guess its because there werent any official 20"+ amounts. Also nice to see how they incorporated the horrendously inaccurate JFK mismeasurement. :thumbsup:

That's a shame. They were much lower than any surrounding site (certainly my town and anyone around the airport), there was almost a unanimous 14"+ around the area.

What an awesome 4 or so hours we had though that night. :snowman:

One thing I've noticed (and I'm sure this has gotten a lot of discussion that I've missed) with these NESIS maps is that they have underestimated amounts in the areas outside the official f6 sites. Often underestimating the areal coverage of the 20"+ amounts particularly when the PNS statements for each storm seem to support blaringly. I've at least noticed this since the Dec. 19-20 storm of 2009. Where is the swath of 20+ in southern NJ that obviously existed for that storm? Back to Baltimore/DC suburbs? Only a 10-15 incher up this way, but that would have definitely lead to a higher rating as one example. Boxing Day storm is pretty skimpy with the 20+ in NYC metro on down the Jersey Shore as well...Not to mention where are the 30"+ amounts reported widespread in the 2/5-6 event last year down in DC/Bmore?

For the uninitiated, Combs played for the Yankees in the twenties and thirties...a comparable contemporary would be Mickey Rivers...

was it spelled Earl"e" Combs?...also he lead off for the Murderers Row....followed by Bob Meusel, Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig and Tony Lazzeri....

was it spelled Earl"e" Combs?...also he lead off for the Murderers Row....followed by Bob Meusel, Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig and Tony Lazzeri....

Indeed it was...

Archived