Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
How many KU storms have there been

CAT5ANDREW

Point of parliamentary procedure...

A storm is a KU storm if K and U decide to list it as such and/or include a case study about it in a K-U volume or other meteorological monograph. Not because we liked it.

December 23, 1997 should be a KU storm because it rocked in my backyard. Can't believe it's not in there.

December 6-7th 1996 also; 26.3" at ORH I THINK. :P

Yes, the Original Cantore thunder snow storm.

But just good examples of why great storms don't have to be KUs. Granted NYC big storms are mostly in there because the KU case study storms focus on big I-95 hits...but even so, it doesn't have to rate high or even be in there if NYC got a big storm. 12/30/00 is very low on the list and a cat 1 and most in this area would probably treat that storm with royalty...but its a very low KU storm.

here is NESIS scale that goes way back to 1888.But this one does not include the past few years so rankings will be different.Only change to top 10 would be to include the Jan 21-24,2005 storm to number 10 and knock the Feb 14-17 1958 out of the top 10..There are alot storms on this list(about double if you include storms since 2005(83 storms on list).) then this one(44)( http://www.ncdc.noaa...is.php#rankings)

A bit suprised the Feb 03 storm ranks ahead of the 1888 blizzard!!

nesis3.jpg

Looking at the map of the 1888 blizzard my area here on southshore on Nassau Cty got between 30-40"

1888.jpg[

It snowed that winter? Must be nice living on a sub-peak of Mt Tolland. :)

Wondered the same thing, but only because that winter was 98% about the Jan ice storm.

1888 vs. 2003: Areal extent, areal extent,etc. Just looking at the maps, 1888 had only one major I-95 city with 20"+ and only 3 with 10"+. 2003 had more with 20" (2?, 3?) and many more with 10. Of course, if the "true" NYC measurement was known (various reports of 30-35" in the boroughs) maybe the rankings would be reversed.

here is NESIS scale that goes way back to 1888.But this one does not include the past few years so rankings will be different.Only change to top 10 would be to include the Jan 21-24,2005 storm to number 10 and knock the Feb 14-17 1958 out of the top 10..There are alot storms on this list(about double if you include storms since 2005(83 storms on list).) then this one(44)( http://www.ncdc.noaa...is.php#rankings)

A bit suprised the Feb 03 storm ranks ahead of the 1888 blizzard!!

nesis3.jpg

Looking at the map of the 1888 blizzard my area here on southshore on Nassau Cty got between 30-40"

1888.jpg[

It would be nice to see some actual numerical totals-- I remember seeing 26" being reported from southern Bklyn and 38" in northern Queens as well as that 44" from New Haven, CT. I see part of southern CT got 50" +? Wow! NYC 20" sounds like an underreport.

Here's a map of the snowfall totals from the Blizzard of 1888, courtesy of an article by Paul Kocin. Link to the entire article, which has a detailed discussion of the synoptic pattern:

http://journals.amet...TO%3E2.0.CO%3B2

The 21" in Central Park is the lowest in the NYC metro area - most other areas saw 25-32". The 18" at Bridgeport, CT also sticks out.

post-88-0-87704200-1297971049.jpg

It would be nice to see some actual numerical totals-- I remember seeing 26" being reported from southern Bklyn and 38" in northern Queens as well as that 44" from New Haven, CT. I see part of southern CT got 50" +? Wow! NYC 20" sounds like an underreport.

Thanks, JConsor! Is there any way to triangulate what NYC snowfall total should have been based on surrounding areas? Should be somewhere between 26-33 inches, probably 30 inches or so. Looks like we have PD2 type snowfall totals for my area. Are those reports of 44 and 45 inches right on the CT shoreline?

Ouch. Good catch. I just let the "authorities" know. I think they'll get that corrected pretty quickly.

While you're at it, please make them fix that 4-10 inch abomination they have our area under for Jan 26-27, 2011. Multiple people will attest to the fact that the actual snowfall total for this area from that storm was around 16-17 inches in the area. We were getting 2-3 inches per hour for 6 hours or so from 11 PM onwards.

Archived