• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
GL/MW/OV December 2010 disco thread

snowstormcanuck

Wow, la nada on the GFS through 16 days. How depressing. When I thought of how this Nina might backfire, I was thinking of a dominant GOA low/raging Pacific jet and general torch from coast to coast. Didn't even consider that the Atlantic would completely overwhelm any -ENSO benefits and basically re-establish the pattern we had last winter.

WHAT!?

:axe:

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, la nada on the GFS through 16 days. How depressing. When I thought of how this Nina might backfire, I was thinking of a dominant GOA low/raging Pacific jet and general torch from coast to coast. Didn't even consider that the Atlantic would completely overwhelm any -ENSO benefits and basically re-establish the pattern we had last winter.

Ditto for here. Nothing but dry weather.

WEEZA DOOMED!!!

I'm going let the LES playout tomorrow, then I'm probably going to take a break from the models, the AFDs, and this board. I got a pile of paper work that I can use this downtime to get done. Then I'll be raring to go for the January 1999 redux we'll see next month. :guitar:

What?! Roger Smith is still calling for a major storm around the 21st (see main forum). You're gonna miss it!

What?! Roger Smith is still calling for a major storm around the 21st (see main forum). You're gonna miss it!

:lmao:

Yeah, Roger's an interesting guy. A good guy. But I'm still waiting on a couple of his storms from last winter, including an "energy bomb" IIRC. To be honest, I'm not sold on the soundness of his celestial methodology.

At -1, but it's falling pretty slowly. The RUC seems to be overdoing the cold for this area, as it has us at -5 by now, and forecasts -15 by morning. With the rate the temp is falling I think -6 to -9 seems about right. I guess if we could get winds to go completely calm for long enough we could make a run at -15, but I doubt it.

I remember a huge temperature gradient around the Madison Area Last Year. Last year, I remember traveling from Rockford to Viola,Wi, I was in Madison, I took the back way to Cross Plans,Wi via West on Mineral Point Road into the country. It was 4 degrees on the beltline, when I got to Cross Plains, it got down to -17, pretty ridiculous. I'm actually in La Crosse tonight, at a relative's, I have a job interview pretty soon here. Anyways, yeah definately, look at places like Sparta & Lone Rock, they always seem to be the cold spots.

Hawk-

Its the snowcover. GFS saw it. I noticed on varying runs of the GFS that it would show us warmer (last night/tonite), but then it was also the same run that it was showing rain vs snow. I guess that model is smarter then i thought :) We hit -17F at the airport, GFS was showing -18F... tonite another run to the - teens.

Lakeshore near MKE hit a numbing 9F ... Lake Mich FTW...

Sparta was -27F, which is a record.

Archived